Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through April 26, 2009

Old     (neneman54)      Join Date: Apr 2009       04-08-2009, 12:22 PM Reply   
so my family is kinda looking for a new boat(i know there are a lot of new boat threads but plz don't yell at me)so we narrowed it down between these two which do you guys/girls think in wake, drivability and comfort is better. i'm open to other boat suggestions but they must be v drives and relatively cheap.
thanks for any help
Old     (dadthedriver)      Join Date: Jul 2004       04-08-2009, 12:42 PM Reply   
You have narrowed it down based on what? Have you actually tried both of these boats. That would be my suggestion. Demo and see what fits your needs. What is great for me not be what you need.
Old     (neneman54)      Join Date: Apr 2009       04-08-2009, 1:06 PM Reply   
ok we plan on demoing both if not more boats on sat. i was hoping some people would say the z1 has a great wake or it has a horrible wake or the same thing on the axis so i know what i'm in for on sat
Old     (wake77)      Join Date: Jan 2009       04-08-2009, 1:42 PM Reply   
I haven't heard anyone on here that has ridden behind the Axis yet.
Old     (tampawake)      Join Date: Mar 2008       04-08-2009, 1:48 PM Reply   
Hey man ask over at Tige Owners those guys are very honest when it comes to wakes and their boats. The tuff thing is that I am not sure you are comparing apples to apples from a build stand point. The Axis seems to be built for hard core wakeboarding so the wake and boat will have a bit less of a cross over feel to it. Where as typically Tige's boats are built more from a cross over stand point. Which is not to say they are not used by hard core wake boarders. I know many wakeboard only people are really happy with the 24ve and 22ve. I have not been in either the axis or Z1. Just looking at it from a manufacturing stand point. You really need to think about what your going to be doing most of the time and your level of that activity. Many on this board have to have an Xstar,210,VLX,24ve whatever it may be loaded with 2000-3000lbs of ballast. For 90% of us that is way over kill. Really put some thought to that.
Old     (neneman54)      Join Date: Apr 2009       04-08-2009, 2:46 PM Reply   
ok i will take that into mind and i would love a vlx or rz2 or x star(no 24 foot boats way to big)but all those boats are extremely expensive were looking for the best possible wake for the least amount of money for the most part we will be wake boarding and we are all about intermediate skilled riders it would be nice to have good wake skate, wake surf and slalom ski wakes but those are not as important. basically what im looking for is the best bang for the buck
Old     (moon)      Join Date: Oct 2008       04-08-2009, 3:12 PM Reply   
I wouldn't consider any new v-drive cheap, just rather less expensive then a top of the line boat. If you're working with a budget, why not consider moomba? I've riden behind one only once and it seemed to produce a pretty nice wake for the money.

Moon
Old     (wakereviews)      Join Date: Sep 2006       04-08-2009, 3:17 PM Reply   
where in Cali are you?
Old     (neneman54)      Join Date: Apr 2009       04-08-2009, 3:20 PM Reply   
southern cali orange county and i heard moomba went out of biz
Old     (wakebrdr38)      Join Date: Sep 2006       04-08-2009, 3:24 PM Reply   
if your in Cali shouldnt there be a sanger dealership around there? I was looking at some today and thought they were nice. A 210 would be about the same size and price as a z1 wouldnt it? Again I dont know much about them but I have heard good things and the one I saw looked pretty dang good
Old     (kko13)      Join Date: Jul 2006       04-08-2009, 3:27 PM Reply   
The Z1 is a nice boat.Has a great stock wake for boarding.gets better with weight of course.And produces a killer surf wake when weighted.The one i was in had ballast plus 8 people and ran strong even with the 320hp motor.
Cant really say to much about the axis as i have not seen one in person yet.From pics im not sure i like it.But seeing it in person could change that.Im sure the wake will be stout.
But trying them both is the best route to take.
Old     (neneman54)      Join Date: Apr 2009       04-08-2009, 3:33 PM Reply   
ok thanks for the input if anyone else knows other stuff feel free to share
Old     (stepintoliquid)      Join Date: Sep 2005       04-08-2009, 3:59 PM Reply   
I will be out on an Axis in the next week, I will let you know!
Old     (07launch22ssv)      Join Date: Feb 2007       04-08-2009, 4:17 PM Reply   
you cant be serious about moomba going out of business.........
Old     (wakereviews)      Join Date: Sep 2006       04-08-2009, 4:27 PM Reply   
Camden, shot you an email with some deals I know of...
Old     (neneman54)      Join Date: Apr 2009       04-08-2009, 4:45 PM Reply   
ok thanks
Old     (tcaz)      Join Date: Aug 2008       04-08-2009, 4:50 PM Reply   
Take a look at Mastercraft's X-80.
Old     (wakeborder5)      Join Date: Jun 2002       04-08-2009, 5:19 PM Reply   
Torrey, why are you suggesting a 28 footer when the two boats he said he was interested are 21 or 22 feet?
Old     (neneman54)      Join Date: Apr 2009       04-08-2009, 5:32 PM Reply   
honestly when i said 24 feet is to big why would that mean i want a dual engine ocean liner for like 120 grand thats like the opposite of what i want

(Message edited by neneman54 on April 08, 2009)
Old     (michaelspsp)      Join Date: Sep 2007       04-08-2009, 5:40 PM Reply   
my friend did consulting work on the AXIS. i knew about it coming out since last July 4th when he spent time up here. he loves it and is getting one. he has competed on the pro tour and worked at one of the best wakeboard camps (thats where i met him). that said , i have 1, maybe 2 more seasons with my x-star and i am considering the AXIS....
Old     (tampawake)      Join Date: Mar 2008       04-08-2009, 5:49 PM Reply   
Seems that the Cali people love their sangers and have a good reputation. Very few of us have any experience behind an Axis. So with the description of the things you do I would say the Z1. I have seen video of people surfing the Z1 both sides with NO ballast. Just make sure you if your ordering it you get stock ballast. If not you will want some at an intermediate level. I noticed there are few threads on the Tige owners site on weighting the Z1 seems like most Tige's like weight up front or around 50/50. I will say even though I don't own one they make one of the best if not best riding and comfortable boat.
Old     (neneman54)      Join Date: Apr 2009       04-08-2009, 5:59 PM Reply   
ok thanks for the insight
Old     (tcaz)      Join Date: Aug 2008       04-08-2009, 7:52 PM Reply   
Bigger boat -> bigger wake -> better riding -> more chicks
Old     (26lacefield)      Join Date: Aug 2006       04-08-2009, 10:09 PM Reply   
Camden- I'm a Tige guy soooooo i'm saying to go with the Z1 but your view of the boats could be totally different than mine. Demoing the 2 boats is really the only way to find out whats right for you and your family. I see that your in So-Cal so your Tige dealer would be Tige Watersports. Their great guys over there. I'm a tige dealer up in Fresno. We've never been happier with a tow boat line than we are with Tige. We've been in business for 70 years now so we've sold almost them all. You would not be dissapointed with a Tige and the customer service of the dealer and Tige themselfs. But check out the Axis so you know where your dollar is going to.
Old     (neneman54)      Join Date: Apr 2009       04-08-2009, 11:52 PM Reply   
ya i totally love tige we bought are 21i from them and love the support not many company's stand behind there product like them but there prices are starting to go up so we have been considering a cheaper boat
on another note we cant get a bigger boat for man reasons price weight and we ride on a narrow shallow piece of water and a 24 ft boat would be very risky
Old     (highrock)      Join Date: Apr 2008       04-09-2009, 4:36 AM Reply   
I had a Z1 and have no idea about the Axis so I cant comment on them. I ended up trading my Z1 in at the end of last year. The Z1 is a great all around boat. The 320 HP is all you need even when loaded down with 2k plus. It likes weight up front, without any the boat tends to want to porpus and bounce. Wake is nice, a little soft but good shape. It will ramp up but only to a point I think. Great boat for what it is though and I had no problems with mine. So out of those two I would go with the Z1, you never know what the axis will do in the future if it even has one. The z1 is more of a crossover boat though.
Old     (ef3529)      Join Date: Nov 2003       04-09-2009, 4:57 AM Reply   
I finally got to see an AXIS last week at the dealer. I was a little leary without seeing one in person. Very nice boat. I was surprised. If it drives and rides well that boat will be very hard to beat for the money.
Old     (surfsup)      Join Date: Jan 2008       04-09-2009, 9:10 AM Reply   
If you feel the stoke from Tige Watersports then stick with them, they do have a great rep for taking care of their customers. The Malibu dealer in that area isn't known for great customer service. A good dealer makes all the difference in the world, no I'm not a Tige guy, just sharing info my SoCal friends have passed along
Old     (turbonine)      Join Date: Oct 2005       04-09-2009, 9:18 AM Reply   
Z1 has had porpoising problems at speeds of 25+. Will also have a wake that is a lot steeper and more abrubt.

Axis is suppose to have same hull as 2007 and older 23 LSV, so it will have a longer transition.
Old     (hillbilly)      Join Date: Aug 2002       04-09-2009, 9:19 AM Reply   
Maybe your local Moomba dealer went out of business, But they are still making boats.

I bought an 07 LSV Moomba and I love it.
Old     (derek23)      Join Date: Oct 2006       04-09-2009, 9:34 AM Reply   
Other boats to consider

V-Ride
Falcon V
Mobius
Old     (tampawake)      Join Date: Mar 2008       04-09-2009, 10:00 AM Reply   
Jason every where I have seen the hull on the Axis is brand new in design. They allegedly built it from the ground up. Gotta think its going to at least be on the level of a Moomba XLV considering its a group from Malibu that built the boat. What is interesting is not all Malibu dealers are going to be dealers. In Florida so far its Liquid Sports a MC dealer and the new Orlando Natique dealer from what I can tell. Not sure down in miami and we have nothing here in Tampa/St Pete. I would be open to one if we had a dealer in our area. I would never own a brand new boat that I did not have a good local dealer. It is a marriage.
Old     (neneman54)      Join Date: Apr 2009       04-09-2009, 10:19 AM Reply   
i will take those into consideration thanks
Old     (malibuboats4)      Join Date: Sep 2008       04-09-2009, 1:51 PM Reply   
tamp i believe the bottom of the hull is from the older lsv and the top part is completely redesigned... i could be wrong though
Old     (macanudo247)      Join Date: Apr 2006       04-09-2009, 3:21 PM Reply   
x-1 x-2, both in your size range. you could probably also find an x-1 fairly cheap. The x-1 is also the original x-star hull. The x-2 is also a great boat with a new prop and some weight its got a pretty good wake IMO and weve easily been able to surf bothe sides. You also mentioned wakeskating and possibly slaloming. while the x-2 is small enough with no weight it still produces a nice shaped small wake. The x-1 on the other hand has a very lippy wake that could be great for skating and still skiable as well. just my .02

(Message edited by macanudo247 on April 09, 2009)
Old     (stepintoliquid)      Join Date: Sep 2005       04-09-2009, 5:08 PM Reply   
The Axis hull is NOT from the 07 and previous LSV.
Old     (blind_pete)      Join Date: Nov 2008       04-09-2009, 5:48 PM Reply   
take a look at the ride . The 09 is on the 08 VLX hull. the ride should make for a strait up comparison to the Z1 and axis for dual sports. As i just purchased a 09 VLX, the Z1 made my short list. Both are great boats.
Old     (michaelspsp)      Join Date: Sep 2007       04-09-2009, 6:00 PM Reply   
the hull is brand new, my friend who did consulting work for Axis explained to me how they went about designing it.
Old     (ajholt7)      Join Date: Apr 2009       04-10-2009, 2:54 AM Reply   
Check out the Tige 20v
Old     (woreout)      Join Date: Aug 2006       04-10-2009, 9:35 AM Reply   
X1 great wake and inexpensive.
Old     (tampawake)      Join Date: Mar 2008       04-10-2009, 11:44 AM Reply   
If he is looking to buy brand new an x1 or x2 is not in his budget. X1s start in the upper 40's lower 50's the x2 would be good for size but 60k boat. I own a 2002 Xstar (205v) just like the x1. It is a small boat. If he has a family and decent size crew its not really the best boat for comfort. He will get more bang for his buck on boat size and unless he is a very hard core wakeboarder the wake is not going to make that huge of a difference for a beg-int rider in my opinion.
Old     (jujube)      Join Date: Aug 2008       04-10-2009, 2:08 PM Reply   
Camden - your choice between these two should be easy, the Z1. The 2009 model has an awesome tower, PCM motor is flawless and the 09 graphics kick! All of this combined with the fact that Tige stands behind their product with a great warranty. (And you've already mentioned you get great service from your local dealer). What more can you ask for?

We'd love to hear about your demos on Saturday. Hope you are going to the same lake for a head-to-head drive. Let us know how it goes.
Old     (neneman54)      Join Date: Apr 2009       04-10-2009, 4:11 PM Reply   
well i found out that if i go to the demo sadly tige wont be there
Old     (evadehickman)      Join Date: Apr 2008       04-10-2009, 5:41 PM Reply   
I live in Cali and have a 07 Sanger V215 with the big motor and wake package (3 ballast tanks that you can fill/empty in minutes with the flick of a switch). Love the boat, great company that has been around and shows great support to the customer. Lots of room for people, and the boat is 21 ft. We have friends who wakeboard, wakesurf and my wife slalom skis behind it. With the ballast full, my more advanced friends throw huge raleys into the flats, so the wake can support you a pretty long way as your skills grow. We shopped around a lot, and definitely felt this boat was the best bang for the buck.
Old     (jujube)      Join Date: Aug 2008       04-13-2009, 6:57 AM Reply   
Camden - curious how your demo went this weekend.
Old     (kko13)      Join Date: Jul 2006       04-13-2009, 4:05 PM Reply   
And why would tige not be there?
Old     (neneman54)      Join Date: Apr 2009       04-13-2009, 5:08 PM Reply   
sorry but my dad decided to pull out from the demo and im just as mad as anyone out there and tige said the don't do demo days just scheduled test drives.
Old     (dabell)      Join Date: Apr 2007       04-14-2009, 7:48 AM Reply   
^^^ Sorry, Tige is trying to step up to the plate and decided to add their name into the Malibu challenge only to come up with this BS "they don't do demo days just scheduled test drives" is totally wrong.

Tige, if you are reading this, please contact Camden and get this started.
Old     (xxavalanchexx)      Join Date: Jan 2009       04-14-2009, 8:29 AM Reply   
Whats the difference between a demo and a test drive, and if you want to wakeboard behind it then i'm pretty sure tige will let you.
Old     (tigepigeon)      Join Date: Sep 2008       04-14-2009, 9:39 AM Reply   
Camden,

I sent you a email a couple of weeks ago trying to get something set up. Just let me know...

Ben Pigeon
Old     (dabell)      Join Date: Apr 2007       04-14-2009, 10:57 AM Reply   
^^^ Woohoo, Tige has shown up!!! Thanks Ben, my confidence in Tige has been restored.

p.s. Camden: Ben is the owner's son BTW..
Old     (tige_watersports)      Join Date: Oct 2008       04-14-2009, 12:43 PM Reply   
David, we will demo any time Camden dad what's to.
however his dad has informed us he's not ready.
Tige Watersports always takes care of our customers
Old     (jujube)      Join Date: Aug 2008       04-15-2009, 8:05 AM Reply   
Camden - Once your dad drives the Z1, you will for sure get one! You'll need one before Memorial Day weekend..... :-) I agree, Tige Watersports takes care of their customers.
Old     (alotta_fagina)      Join Date: Dec 2003       04-18-2009, 11:42 AM Reply   
My buddy was out at the socal demo day and the only dealer that showed up was Malibu/Axis (Paradise Watersports). Apparently they have been killing the head to heads for so many years that the rest of the dealers stopped showing up for them. If i were losing customers when i had to compare side by side, i would stop going too. Sounds like you have to push the issue with the other dealers to go sxs which should be the only way to demo these things. My buddy said that when he was talking to PW at the show they really wanted to force the head to head, sounds like they know what the results will be.

camden, by all means when you finally do your tige demo, call PW and they will for sure meet you guys out at the lake whenever you need. Don't drive one and settle, drive both. My buddy really likes the guy at PW he has been working with, I'll see if i can find out who it is.
Old     (kko13)      Join Date: Jul 2006       04-18-2009, 12:40 PM Reply   
^^^^^^ lot of BS right there^^^^^^^^
I work for a dealer that sells Tige and mailbu so dont tell me who is going to kill who head to head thats the biggest load of crap i have ever heard!
Camden by all means have your dad drive both and you guys choose best fits your budget and needs the best.

(Message edited by kko13 on April 18, 2009)

Old     (tampawake)      Join Date: Mar 2008       04-18-2009, 1:17 PM Reply   
Kevin is dead on. I have seen and been in both side by side and have an opinion as well. Do yourself a favor go test drive them both and stop listening to people that are overly brand loyal on WW.