Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through July 24, 2009

Old     (masonmeuth)      Join Date: May 2009       07-01-2009, 1:49 PM Reply   
I have recently been playing with my stance on my board alot and was curious what helps other ppl out and where they ride. What holes and what degree ducked and how it affects ur knees/ back.I was riding like 12 deg ducked but moved it in to like 8 and my knees feel alot better but im getting mild back pain. I ride one hole in also.
Old     (jsweat)      Join Date: Apr 2007       07-01-2009, 2:22 PM Reply   
i ride all the way out and ducked a little bit i do not know the degree
Old     (irishrider92)      Join Date: Jun 2009       07-01-2009, 2:25 PM Reply   
I just use this trick I saw in a Wake video a couple of years ago: Place you feet at the middle point of your board, just off the board so you don't hit it and break it, and jump as high as you can, pulling your knees up to your chest. However your feet land is the place and angle to put them.

Recently I've tried keeping the angle but going as wide as possible. At the mo I'm riding a 136 so its not that wide but no complaints. I think a Wider stance gives you a little more control and also reduces the nose and tail area of the board. Also it looks a bit more stylish
Old     (norcalbordr)      Join Date: Feb 2006       07-01-2009, 2:52 PM Reply   
^^^Is this THE Brian Deegan, or just A Brian Deegan?
Old     (airborne7)      Join Date: Jun 2008       07-01-2009, 3:01 PM Reply   
I started out riding "baller" before I could even go wake to wake. I hopped on my buddies board recently (he rides 2 holes from the end). I was really suprised @ how different it felt. I felt sketchy taking off and landing. I think riding all the way out and ducked a bit gives you a more natural athletic stance. Just my .02.
Old     (bobenglish)      Join Date: Mar 2008       07-01-2009, 7:55 PM Reply   
To all the riders using a super wide stance:

We request you stop placing unnatural stress on us and eliminating our natural ability to absorb shock without damage.

Signed,

Your knees.
Old     (jsweat)      Join Date: Apr 2007       07-01-2009, 8:42 PM Reply   
actually all the way out is more of an athletic stance of just more than shoulder length apart. no matter what width of stance you use if you don't land with your knees ben then your knees will be toast
Old     (t0nyv831)      Join Date: Jun 2008       07-01-2009, 9:19 PM Reply   
Was was rockn' the gangsta stance, all the way out and ducked, but the inside of my left would hurt after every seshion. I moved my bindings in a few degrees and it seems to have taken care of the prob. Thing is, it makes it harder to grab. I guess having a gut is no help either.
Old     (lothlin)      Join Date: Jun 2008       07-01-2009, 9:33 PM Reply   
Right now I've got my bindings ducked out to 14 degrees, basically one hole in (07 boards and 09 bindings, I can't get all the way.) Anyway, all the way out with my stance on bigger boards puts some seriously annoying strain on my joints and calf muscles, at least on bigger boards. (though my board is small enough that I should be all the way out probably.)

I had someone at the cable telling me to move my bindings all the way out when I was riding my husbands 144 cm board. Dude was definitely taller than me, it probably would have been fine for him but for me it would have been uncomfortable and awkward.

Stance is personal preference, IMHO. There's a few ways to get it wrong (like feet ducked in,) but besides that, I think everyone should just do what's most comfortable for them. I'd take a smidge less control if it means I'm not going to jack my knee more than it already is.
Old     (westsiderippa)      Join Date: Dec 2006       07-01-2009, 9:36 PM Reply   
all the way and ducked. less stress on the knees. think about doing heavy squats.
Old     (ironcross25)      Join Date: Jul 2006       07-02-2009, 6:24 AM Reply   
I did the jump behind the board and how my feet landed is my stance. So happens to be a linebacker stance shoulder width apart or just a hair more and a little ducked. It is all the way out as well on a 138 and im 5'9.
Old     (irishrider92)      Join Date: Jun 2009       07-02-2009, 6:31 AM Reply   
NAh just A Brian Deegan. 2nd time I've had to explain it.....been on for about a week haha!
Old     (mattgettel)      Join Date: Jan 2009       07-02-2009, 6:45 AM Reply   
all the way out. ducked more on the front foot than the back.
Old     (mikef9844)      Join Date: Sep 2008       07-02-2009, 1:09 PM Reply   
I used to have them widest and pretty ducked, then i tore my meniscus. I really did a lot of research and talked to physical therapist to really figure out what stance worked best for my knees. Now i ride one hole in because my 08 gator bindings wont go all the way out on my 08 watson, but it turned out to be better for me. I duck them about 12 degrees and this feel perfect for me now. My knees feel really strong and stable in this position.

I really hope everyone thinks about thier knees more when determining stance's because a bad stance for me turned into surgery and time off the water.
Old     (splatman)      Join Date: Jul 2008       07-02-2009, 1:36 PM Reply   
one hole in from the widest and ducked a lil
Old     (kyle_m)      Join Date: Aug 2007       07-02-2009, 1:38 PM Reply   
i ride gangsta stance all the way out
Old     (wake_it_up)      Join Date: Nov 2008       07-02-2009, 1:41 PM Reply   
One hole in because I don't want to put the ugly clamp extender on, and ducked at 15 each.
Old    benj_t            07-02-2009, 2:39 PM Reply   
all the way out 12 degrees each
Old     (misteve)      Join Date: Aug 2007       07-02-2009, 3:26 PM Reply   
all the way out, which is one in cause of new boots, and 15 each. Feels like a pretty athletic and comfortable stance to me
Old    thebiggmann            07-02-2009, 4:38 PM Reply   
So, I have a 08 lyman, and I've been riding like one hole out. Is this weird? I'm on a 143 and I'm 6'2". Does it affect your riding going out farther? I just don't wanna be missing something haha
Old     (wakeslife)      Join Date: Jul 2005       07-02-2009, 5:48 PM Reply   
I ride my 140 CWB one hole in. But its pretty much like all the way out on any other board- the stances on these boards are crazy wide these days.
Old    benj_t            07-02-2009, 6:12 PM Reply   
Biggs, its not really weird that you ride a narrow stance, I mean thats why there are extra holes in the board so you can ride it the way you like. But if you ride a wider stance it just feels like a more athletic stance which for me makes everything feel more stable and easier to control. Try riding a wider stance one time and just give it a go. I ride a 139 Lyman with my boots all the way out and im only 5'7, so you should probably feel comftorble
Old     (cb23)      Join Date: Jan 2009       07-02-2009, 9:48 PM Reply   
the ACL injuries are more commonly associated with being ducked way out rather than having a really wide stance