Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (pilsner31)      Join Date: Sep 2009       08-11-2010, 7:46 PM Reply   
Here's a couple of me surfing. We had seven adults, two kids, and my baby in the boat. Starboard and front full, plate at 25%, 10.3, with everyone we could fit on the starboard side (240 pounder in the front). The wake is massive. I've never had it so good. Soooo much push, it would have put me through the speakers if I let it. I'm 210 and riding a LF Custom 4'10". the pics were taken from right behind the drivers seat, seriously, I cut out to the flats before handing the rope in just to admire the size, and it was above my waist.
Attached Images

Old     (pilsner31)      Join Date: Sep 2009       08-11-2010, 8:13 PM Reply   
First one is my bro in law. Three adults and a baby in the boat on the starboard side. Second is me halfway through a three (that I can't hold the wake after yet) with four adults in the boat on the starboard side. Ballast and speed on both is same as above.
Attached Images

Old    ScottRobinson            08-11-2010, 8:42 PM Reply   
Nice pics..... didn't realize you rode goofy. I ride regular and I can't wait to try Tim's set up. Joe seems to like it.

Front full plus 400# Port half full and 25% 11mph
Old     (hamkj)      Join Date: Apr 2002       08-13-2010, 2:43 PM Reply   
I noticed this boat up for sale being advertised on WW and also locally.

I was wondering why someone would want to do a totally new paint job on a virtually new boat... but a buddy of mine gave me the scoop on this one.

This was one of the original Epics built in Canada with the Volvo... which did get updated.

But this also had leaky ballast which in turn caused gel coat problems... hence the need for the "bullet proof" paint job.

So assuming everything is repaired properly... this could be a great boat for someone...

This boat was traded to a local lawyer for services rendered... who then returned it because of all of the problems... then I noticed it was up for sale... for cheap!!! less than $30k!

Awesome deal!

I think if someone can pick this up... all updated and repaired for mid $30k... could be a great deal... I don't think there are many hours on it!

Maybe we will see it in our neck of the woods again!
Attached Images

Old     (olmoomba)      Join Date: Apr 2010       08-13-2010, 9:22 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by _vitty_ View Post
haha guys and picture taking usually don't go hand in hand. I bet if there were some women owners we'd have pics in a jiffy
I got loads of pics, what you guys need, lol. My wife takes lots. I even have the one when I busted my ACL on Fathers Day. She clicked the pic and then bam there goes my ACL.
Old     (MikeyG)      Join Date: Apr 2010       08-14-2010, 7:25 AM Reply   
Full Ballast, boat going 25-26 mph, wake pic.

Are these wakes really that huge?? Lets see the pics and compare for ourselves...
Old     (joesell)      Join Date: Apr 2001       08-14-2010, 8:51 AM Reply   
Mike, I'm sure fred has the pic you want. Until he posts it, I just wanted to say that yes,it really is big. But it's not just big, it's super solid. When you hit, you know you hit it, and it boosts you straight up in the air. I'm by no means a pro, but I know what a great wake feels like. It's great for sure!
Old    ScottRobinson            08-14-2010, 1:40 PM Reply   
I wish I had the balls to hit it....but alas... I don't ! lol

I honestly don't think you need it that big. I think people always want big, but clean and solid is where it's at. Also, I am not a huge fan of the "paint job" on above. If there were that many issues with it why would someone want it. my 2cents. I should be out now....sunny and 94...uggg
Old    ScottRobinson            08-14-2010, 3:57 PM Reply   
Joe- Here
Attached Images

Old     (olmoomba)      Join Date: Apr 2010       08-14-2010, 7:09 PM Reply   
2009 Epic - Waketoberfest 2009, Lake Travis. I can't remember the rider's name. He was like 5.9. Full Ballast 25/26 mph, 80ft I think, boat load of people.

Tony Carroll 85ft out same speed, same ballast, trim tab was like 85

Try those out for now. I have some with less ballast at 23 that are still impressive.
Old     (MikeyG)      Join Date: Apr 2010       08-16-2010, 1:04 PM Reply   
Thank you for the Pics!! That wake does look great! BIG and SOLID. I like it. Anyone else have any more?? the second pic didn't come thru..

How well does the boat get out of the hole with the ballast full?

Scott - what is that contraption? I am sure its to quiet the boat down but how well does it work?

I rode in a SAN with the big block python motor and it had quite the drone to the motor. Is this the case with the Epics as well?
Old     (MikeyG)      Join Date: Apr 2010       08-16-2010, 2:30 PM Reply   
here is an Epic Surf video I saw - Looks pretty darn good to me but I have only surfed twice in my life!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C8c1CYgRoZk
Old    ScottRobinson            08-16-2010, 7:02 PM Reply   
That is my FAE (Fresh Air Exhaust) it helps alot with sound for sure, especially since I took my muffler out. With my FAE my boat is quieter now than with a muffler I think. Anyway it helps with sound but was built for emissions. Sends the emissions into the water instead into our face when surfing.

Joe- Major winter project tho is getting that flapper issued dialed in. It just bugs me.
Old    ScottRobinson            08-16-2010, 7:47 PM Reply   
Hey guys-

Ok question...I have alot of wet area under the seat in the bow along with the drivers carpet section. We do occasionally take a bit o water over top front when wife drives but still...how to I get it dry? I don't want to leave it there and it start smelling? Also have thought of taking that carpet out of those areas inside the seats for this reason just seems to stay wet? I also tend to get water in the surf lockers too. Not bad but enough to make carpet wet. We just throw jackets and ropes and towels in there and it just gets wet. Thoughts about getting this and somehow keeping these areas dry?
Old     (usostyle)      Join Date: Apr 2006       08-16-2010, 10:50 PM Reply   
Scott-

Front Bow Area-
We pull the front bow drain plug under the anchor locker when we get out of the water. We let the water drain but put the drain plug back in right after it drains. Do not leave the plug out because the water just comes back up through the drain hole while you are towing the boat and the water makes its way into the bow lockers, your drivers feet area and even under the observers seat area (where the amps are). Also, we've noticed that if we do not drain the water that is in the bow area under the anchor, that water swishes around and makes it into the bow lockers, drivers feet and observers locker when towing. So best to pull the plug, it only takes seconds for it to drain, put the plug right back in and you are usually good. Our bow lockers, observers locker and drivers feet area stay much dryer now. Even when you are still on the water, if you take on a huge roller and get water in the bow storage area, pull the plug real quick and let the water drain so it doesn't sit there and swish around and soak everything.

Rear Lockers-

Towels- we use those drybags from overtons, a few for dry towels, and a couple for wet ones, then we just throw the drybags back into the lockers. Obviously want to take the wet ones out when you get home to hang dry or wash.

Life Jackets- Depending on how many we have wet at one time, we usually strap the wet ones to the tower to drip dry. Usually try to strap them to an area on tower that wont drip all over people (usually the sides, but also the top and they only drip for just a bit). Or we just keep the wet jackets out of the bin, like in the bow area or behind the drivers seat until the next person needs to use them. When we are done for the day, we strap the wet jackets to the tower and let the ride home air dry them. By the time we are home, they are dry and we just put them in the rear lockers for next time. We don't recommend leaving them on your tower for days at a time, tried that once and got a nice red stain on our brushed tower that took a while to fade.
Old     (usostyle)      Join Date: Apr 2006       08-16-2010, 10:56 PM Reply   
Oh yeah, FYI- Speaking of drybags, we accidentally left a drybag full of towels on our back swim deck for 2 hot days straight, the boat was outside and it actually melted and warped the seadeck foam and warped the Epic logo a bit, bummer, we won't do that again...
Old     (tuneman)      Join Date: Mar 2002       08-17-2010, 6:11 AM Reply   
Hey Guys, here's a video that we did at the beginning of last season when I just got my Epic. The surf wake is stock with three in the boat. My buddy surfing, John, is 6'2" tall:

Epic Session 1
Old     (MikeyG)      Join Date: Apr 2010       08-17-2010, 6:27 AM Reply   
Cool video. Surf wake looked fine. That was some great air on the kneeboard!!!

Was the wakeboard wake with full ballast? it kinda looked like it was washing out.....
Old     (_vitty_)      Join Date: Jul 2009       08-17-2010, 8:36 AM Reply   
Hey Tuneman is that John Tietz? His parents and mine went to high school together and are good friends. We used to get together all the time when I was little. Hadn't seen him in several years until I ran into him at the Hopkins Chipotle a couple months back. Good stuff, small world
Old     (olmoomba)      Join Date: Apr 2010       08-17-2010, 9:13 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyG View Post
Cool video. Surf wake looked fine. That was some great air on the kneeboard!!!

Was the wakeboard wake with full ballast? it kinda looked like it was washing out.....
If you really watch, he has cross eyed crooked driver, there are minor s bends. The wake will clean up, the boat is incredibly sensitive to weight distribution. My 40lb 7 yr old can clean up the wake by moving 6 in.

Hole shot is not an issue full weighted.
Old     (olmoomba)      Join Date: Apr 2010       08-17-2010, 9:14 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuneman View Post
Hey Guys, here's a video that we did at the beginning of last season when I just got my Epic. The surf wake is stock with three in the boat. My buddy surfing, John, is 6'2" tall:

Epic Session 1
Those kneeboard landings look violent! Sick vid!
Old     (olmoomba)      Join Date: Apr 2010       08-17-2010, 10:17 AM Reply   
OH BTW - the cross eyed crooked driver remark was a joke! Just in case.....
Old     (tuneman)      Join Date: Mar 2002       08-17-2010, 10:20 AM Reply   
Nic, yeah really small world. John is a good friend of mine and we ride together quite a bit. We should all hook up before the summer gets away from us.

The wake was a bit washed out on the port side. But this video is when I first got the boat and we hadn't figured out the wake yet.
Old     (olmoomba)      Join Date: Apr 2010       08-17-2010, 12:16 PM Reply   
more pics - you're gonna have to sift through the index. These were all taken on the same day as the last one I posted. That is my son in the first 100+ photos at age 9.

http://www.swamistudios.com/photosho...pic/index.html
Old    ScottRobinson            08-17-2010, 12:40 PM Reply   
Fred...IS HE clearing the wake? WOW!!
Old     (olmoomba)      Join Date: Apr 2010       08-17-2010, 12:55 PM Reply   
Yes he was. He is in the flats now on HS and TS W2W, various grabs and surface 3's recently. Thanks for the compliments!
Old    ScottRobinson            08-17-2010, 1:57 PM Reply   
Nice Fred...a 9 year old that make me look stupid...lol I am just HS clearing wake 80% of time...lol
Old     (olmoomba)      Join Date: Apr 2010       08-17-2010, 2:24 PM Reply   
WEll he's 11 now, but yeah he likes to school people on the water, guess that's my fault. But he puts it down, he just got 2nd place in Beg Boys in our local contest of 15 boys - various age range.
Old     (olmoomba)      Join Date: Apr 2010       08-17-2010, 2:45 PM Reply   
OK, I have had 2 new messages that I cannot retrieve or see in my inbox. If you have tried to send me a PM - email me direct. I will give you the email if you still need it.
Old     (pilsner31)      Join Date: Sep 2009       08-22-2010, 9:12 AM Reply   
Hey guys, it seems when my port ballast is full, it blows the fuse. When ballast is emptied, and I go to fill again, it doesn't blow the fuse until full. When I blow the fuse when full, change fuses and try to fill some more, the fuses blows instantly. I'm thinking the impeller needs to be changed on the intake pump, anyone agree? Also, where is the best place to order impellers online and are they easy to change? Does the boat have to be out of the water to change one of the intake ones?
Old     (olmoomba)      Join Date: Apr 2010       08-22-2010, 10:24 AM Reply   
Fred A - I think you have the tsunami 1200 installed. You have to buy the cartridge. If you have an Academy Sports and Outdoors you may be able to find them there, I will be out and about and will look for you. If not, it's mail order - actually looking online at http://www.academy.com/index.php?pag...145-00165-6127 they keep these in stock. If you cannot find one, I will pick one up for you and put in the mail. Buy the bilge pump off the shelf pull the cartridge and replace. (search keywords: Attwood Tsunami 1200)

If this is what you have, then it is a unit replacement, you cannot change the impellar as the problem with these is generally internal. You're issue is unique compared to those I have had. Usually when a pump motor is on the outs it will pop fuses as soon as you turn them on or shortly after, not once the tank is full.
Old    ScottRobinson            08-22-2010, 4:04 PM Reply   
Ballast gauge doesn't work until it is full and we are moving on my front tank...not a huge deal but still...
Old     (pilsner31)      Join Date: Sep 2009       08-22-2010, 9:24 PM Reply   
Thanks Fred, I'll order a couple so I have a spare. They're cheaper than I thought. I assumed they would make the impellers changeable. I guess they're just a "throw away" pump.
Old     (olmoomba)      Join Date: Apr 2010       08-23-2010, 7:39 AM Reply   
yeah they are "disposable" or my favorite term "sacrificial". But they are cheap to replace and generally last a really long time with lots of use out of them. I have only had to replace one or two and the rest have been installed since it's creation, go figure. I blame Attwood. If you figure you have 1 of 6 go bad in 3 yrs, not such a bad deal, especially since the part is cheap and easy to replace.

@ Scott - sometimes the floats get hung up or there is a signal issue to your gauge. If it were just my front gauge like yours, I wouldn't sweat it either, since we all roll with either no front or full front, lol.
Old    ScottRobinson            08-23-2010, 8:17 AM Reply   
Yup...full or nothing usually, although when riding with my wakeboard I do put some in there. maybe 1/4 or just a titch more. It pops up when I start to go but still have to guess a bit. I think the float sticks.
Old     (joesell)      Join Date: Apr 2001       08-23-2010, 10:16 AM Reply   
Scott, I'm pretty sure it's your float sticking too. Luckily, it's an easy fix. You pop the black cover off the sending unit(it's just siliconed on). Remove the screws, and pull it out carefully. I'll bet you find a bunch of silicone globbed on the shaft the the float slides on. All you have to do is clean it off with some brakeclean and reinstall it. Put another spot of silicone under the cap, and set it on there. Put a weight on it over night and your set.

Aparently, there's a f'n tard at the factory that likes to squirt silicone all over the place. That's just what I heard anyway
Old    ScottRobinson            08-23-2010, 11:12 AM Reply   
LMFAO Joe..... yeah he must be a Tard all right.... or as I like to call them "Dee Dee Dee's" forget the comic that does that but he is Mexican and hilarous on Comedy Central.

You know, we should try to get with everyone on here or even at Epic and maybe try to plan a weekend trip somewhere will all our boats to meets. Takes time to plan so maybe try for next June or something? Anyone have any interest?
Old     (joesell)      Join Date: Apr 2001       08-23-2010, 2:53 PM Reply   
Scott, I'd do Lake Clinton early next year, sometime in May/June. It's a heated lake, so it doesn't take long for it to warm up. I say we start a new thread over the winter, and open it up to everyone.
Old     (olmoomba)      Join Date: Apr 2010       08-23-2010, 4:36 PM Reply   
try this on Scott. I forgot about this. There are baffles built into the tanks. Baffles prevent sloppy sloshing of the water if you don't run full. There are 1" holes in the baffles bulkhead. It takes longer to fill the baffles than the tank, that explains the delay in the gauge reading over the fill rate. It will also explain why, when you dont fill your rear tanks full, the gauge needles are flopping all over the place as you go/stop/go/stop/go/stop/etc.

Carlos Mencia

Naturally - I am putting TX in the hat.
Old     (fuzzball147)      Join Date: Apr 2010       08-24-2010, 5:43 AM Reply   
I'll be in for Clinton, it's 40 miles from my house. I'll make sure to give you water temp updates...
Old    ScottRobinson            08-24-2010, 6:48 AM Reply   
Where is Clinton? I will google it..lol

DAMN Baffles strike again!! Seriously I am sick of that word....seems everything I ever have any issue with involves a BAFFLE. Anyway it isn't a big deal at all, but with how cool our boats are you would think some of those issues would be solved by now huh.....
Old     (roomservice)      Join Date: Dec 2006       08-24-2010, 6:55 AM Reply   
I think we should do it at Lake Granbury, Tx, stay at the hilton on the water, hit the Wakesports Ranch cable park, pee in Gary's new pool, ride 4 wheelers at Sam Hanna's, and eat bbq. There's a bunch of Epics in Tx so we could have a really good turnout. Second choice would be Lake Marble Falls, Tx but a little further for tthe midwest crew to drive.
Old    ScottRobinson            08-24-2010, 7:03 AM Reply   
I have a buddy that lives in Lincoln NE and he says that part of the country has WIND all the time. Have you ever thought about heading to DALE HOLLOW in Tennessee? That place is AMAZING and usually NOT A BREATH of wind. Huge coves to play in with 5 marinas with restaurants.
Old    ScottRobinson            08-24-2010, 7:06 AM Reply   
I would do Texas if that is the plan. Maybe Gary can get some of the great riders out there with us and show us all how to REALLY ride behind our boats. Sounds like a great trip, hope Gary's pool is big enough!! I know someone at Epic is on here some so, if you are reading this TELL Gary we are throwing his place into the mix!!!
Old     (roomservice)      Join Date: Dec 2006       08-24-2010, 7:45 AM Reply   
scott, um hello
Old     (_vitty_)      Join Date: Jul 2009       08-24-2010, 8:02 AM Reply   
can someone fly my boat out for me? I don't have a tow vehicle capable of going that far
Old     (joesell)      Join Date: Apr 2001       08-24-2010, 8:53 AM Reply   
Texas? I thought only steers and queers were in Texas? Really tho, I might come if there's a big to-do. But I'm sure not bringing my boat! That's like a million mile round trip for me.

So I'll need a ride around town, and a boat to hang out in. I would love to try the cable park tho, and maybe pee in Garys pool. That sounds fun!
Old    ScottRobinson            08-24-2010, 9:03 AM Reply   
G... just got your message and I had no clue you were who you were man!! lol Anyway, my vote is Texas and EPIC just provides about 10 boats for all of us! What do you think Greg can you make that happen? =)

I think this would be a blast to meet up with everyone and ride for even a day. I would bring the whole family, (yes all 4 kiddos) and make a week out of it. Heck I might even bring another family with me (my boating buddies who travel with us all the time) even tho they don't have an Epic. We always go somewhere for Vacation at the beginning of the spring. So April or May in Texas Greg... You provide the boats...lol well just kidding on that. I would tow mine from Indiana. Gary has one and I am sure there would be many others there. Joe you can ride with us man!! Bring the kids and wife and we will all hang out.

Cable park would be cool and fun too...so let's start the planning boys!
Old     (joesell)      Join Date: Apr 2001       08-24-2010, 9:13 AM Reply   
I'd be willing to make a week out of it too. We should start looking for some kind of sponser. Maybe a company thats into boats. Hey maybe a company like Epic! We could call it a company party. I already feel like a top salesman and cheif mechanic, so that works out.
Old     (samhanna)      Join Date: Sep 2009       08-24-2010, 9:29 AM Reply   
We could def. do it in Granbury. I can have by boat there for sure. The Hilton is on the water and very close to the best riding spots.

The only other place I think that would be perfect is in Broken Bow. Rent a large house boat and everyone can tie to it at night. That would be a pretty legit trip.
Old    ScottRobinson            08-24-2010, 10:04 AM Reply   
Well I have 4 kids all under the age of 8 so not sure you all want to houseboat with me! lol I am totally down for a week long deal, I think we should just have EPIC plan some party one day and start the 1st annual "EPIC PARTY". !! I told Greg I would start this thing, I would love to get hooked up with EPIC and help. Just feel like they take such good care of us I would love to meet them and just hang out. So.... I say we have somewhat decided that is where we want to go. I am going to go for a week and if the HILTON is right there seems just logical for us to be there. I will work on Gary and Greg to see what we can get out of them...so GARY AND GREG...guess what I will be calling!!! lol

I think it would be cool just to start this..... and do it every year.... great to meet all of you and just have fun for a week. Epic I hope will sponsor one day and have a party...lol

Does the HILTON have slips in the water for boats?
Old     (samhanna)      Join Date: Sep 2009       08-24-2010, 10:30 AM Reply   
I know that they have docks, but I dont think there is anything to leave your boat in. The boat ramp is across the street and they have parking for boats behind the hotel.

If we get enough people together, some of us can probably talk the cable park into having an epic party day also......
Old    ScottRobinson            08-24-2010, 6:31 PM Reply   
Sam love the idea man....how many of you have kiddo's? just wondering....
Old     (joesell)      Join Date: Apr 2001       08-24-2010, 6:38 PM Reply   
I have two boys 8 and a 6. Sure as heck not bringing them though. Sometimes you just need some daddy time
Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       08-24-2010, 7:42 PM Reply   
When are you guys thinking of doing it? I must have missed the date somewhere in here. I'm sure I could get my buddy Eppie to bring his '07 down from Colorado.
Old     (olmoomba)      Join Date: Apr 2010       08-24-2010, 8:11 PM Reply   
Yeah, I'm down and I will be bringing my boys. Scott said he wants lessons from my oldest! lol.
Old     (olmoomba)      Join Date: Apr 2010       08-24-2010, 8:12 PM Reply   
Oh and my boat. So there's one boat, show you Merc/Smart Tow guys how the old skool Epic guys roll....
Old    ScottRobinson            08-25-2010, 6:34 AM Reply   
Yeah Fred I do need lessons..... and YES I will swallow some pride (and some beers prior) to take some from a 9 year old. I would be bringing my whole crew and making a family vacation out of it. I don't think we have even talked date yet but my thoughts were just after schools ends?
Old     (samhanna)      Join Date: Sep 2009       08-25-2010, 6:57 AM Reply   
I can do any date, just need to know in advance. No kids for me for a while. The great thing about granbury is that we can ride on the brazos all day and have glass. Its about 15 min from the hotel.
Old    ScottRobinson            08-25-2010, 7:04 AM Reply   
Nice Sam.... well hell.....maybe we "us guys" should fly down there for a few days and ride with SAM..!! No boats, just grab some board shorts and a plane ticket. Have 5-7 of us meet up and use SAM'S boat and PEE in GARY'S POOL!!
Old    ScottRobinson            08-25-2010, 7:09 AM Reply   
OH and I rode last night and seriously JOE I need to fix those flappers.... driving me SOOOOO nuts. Don't hear them running 15 or better but driving into the coves or from ramp or to ramp..... I am about to go INSANE!! I turn the music up, then the kids yell at me...lol NO WIN SITUATION. Only good thing about getting cold outside is I can dive into that project and get it fixed !!!!
Old     (joesell)      Join Date: Apr 2001       08-25-2010, 7:55 AM Reply   
Scott, I'm still going to do something with them. But to be honest, now that I know that there not broke, it doesn't bother me that much any more.
Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       08-25-2010, 12:41 PM Reply   
Can any of you Epic owners tell me how the ballast pumps are setup? Does the pump go straight through the hull and then just has a strainer on it? I can't tell from the pictures that I have seen how exactly it works. I am doing a ballast install in my Tige and I was thinking about doing my intake pump setup similar to the way Epic has theirs but I am trying to figure out what pieces I need. If the pump comes straight through the hull, is there a nut on the end of it and then the strainer? I believe these are like the strainers: http://www.discountmarinesupplies.co..._STRAINER.html
Old     (olmoomba)      Join Date: Apr 2010       08-25-2010, 1:00 PM Reply   
Timmy you are correct. On my 07 The tsunami 1200 aerator pump (fill pumps) goes through the hull. The nut secures it from the outside of the boat. You have to trim off the excess tail pipe from the aerator pump housing and then screw on the SS strainer. The empties attach the same to the hard tanks w/o a strainer. This how we did it on a buddies old supra, the murdered out black one you see from time to time on here.
Old     (olmoomba)      Join Date: Apr 2010       08-25-2010, 1:01 PM Reply   
scott you can win, put them in the play pen and then yell at them back - problem solved.
Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       08-25-2010, 2:03 PM Reply   
Thanks Fred!
Old     (samhanna)      Join Date: Sep 2009       08-25-2010, 2:13 PM Reply   
I have no problem with using my boat and only have a few rules.

1. No Kids
2. no chips
3. no pets of any kind
4. fill the boat up with the gas you use, dont just hand me 10$ after an 8 hour day at the river.

Besides that we will have a blast
Old     (joesell)      Join Date: Apr 2001       08-25-2010, 3:48 PM Reply   
I call Sam's boat. How does $15 sound?

I know you can relate, but I still can't believe people when they hand me $10 or $15 and then act like they're doing me a favor. They act like I can top the boat off and then put the kids through college with the rest. People have no idea!!!
Old    ScottRobinson            08-25-2010, 6:34 PM Reply   
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA..... been there. $15 is golden though. Everytime we take people we invite them out, so I don't get anything usually. Not a huge deal but still. Have taken a few guys out and yet to see much. Does suck when you look at the pump when you fill it back up at 55 damn gallons. lol I guess my thing is I need people and want people to go out with so...if I have to suck the gas payment up too, part of it. Would be nice once for someone to throw $10 a pull at me. Take 4 sets and $40..lol

I will say I would take zero if they are cool and fun people for me and the family to be around. Money is only a means to an end. My favorite slogan we live life by. "Babe, I will make more money tomorrow" so...... have fun today....
Old     (samhanna)      Join Date: Sep 2009       08-26-2010, 7:52 AM Reply   
I went out for a two hour set last night. Just me and another rider. Granted we weight the boat out and ride, but we burned almost half a tank of gas between the two of us in just a little over two hours. Close to 70$ in gas when I filled the boat up last night. Even if he wanted to split the gas with me like the ride time, he would have to chip in 35$. Plus im paying gas to get the boat to the lake, miles on my truck and hours on my boat, insurance, oil changes in the boat and truck, general maintenance. There is no way a rider can ever chip in "enough". Even if he would have handed me 50$ after the set I would still be paying more than half.

Dont get me wrong, I dont expect people to do this at all as it is my boat and my expense. Its just the cluelessness of people. Alot of people never get invited back out after putting a "5" on three 15 min sets.
Old    ScottRobinson            08-26-2010, 8:46 AM Reply   
People sure have no clue what it costs to run up and down the shore line pulling them with their huge smile as our gas gets sucked down. That is for sure. The "5" is almost an insult. lol
Old     (olmoomba)      Join Date: Apr 2010       08-26-2010, 8:48 AM Reply   
@ scott - I love the slogan. I don't need people on my boat, takes away from OUR ride time, lol. But it's fun when I do have people on the boat.

Gas money is not a touchy subject on my boat. I don't care if I invited you out or not. I need a Jesse James tattoo on my hand "Pay up sucka!"

I agree with Sam. As a boat owner I expect to lose across the board. Lose resale value (given), lose tow money, insurance, maintenance, repairs, etc. It's part of the deal of owning a boat. However, it is common courtesy to chip in for at least gas even if you were invited. I don't go to a party at someone's house empty handed. I will bring a 6pk or 12pk or bottle of wine, platter, dessert, whatever - it depends on the shindig. Point is, I think it's just rude and inconsiderate to not at least offer.

The way to PC handle this is to start talking about the expenses of owning a boat when an appropriate somewhat related subject comes up. Especially when it comes to friends who have ZERO clue on the expense. Or even have them follow you to the gas station before or after a set, call them to the pump and just BS with them. I guarantee they will notice the triple digits register on the pump but I can't guarantee they will clue in to chip in.

@SAM - no chips in general, does this include fried pork rinds? technically those aren't chips, just asking so I know. Cheese nips and Cheetos are just considered snacks. So Cheetos then? How about left over pizza? Keep in mind I just messing with you! No pets, no problem - a dog is guaranteed to shat in your boat - ask me how I know! lol
Old     (samhanna)      Join Date: Sep 2009       08-26-2010, 9:07 AM Reply   
I occasionally bring my dogs on the boat, but never when we are wakeboarding. One of my dogs ****, pissed, and threw up all in one trip out... but the rule came from a relative that brought a freaking "pet snake" in her beach bag, yes a pet snake, 6' boa on the boat.... I could have stangled her... So now I have to implement these rules...

Its like my other friend who said he had to pee but didnt want to get in the water on the fourth of july... I meant the swim platform, but no, he peed over the rear locker, a lot, and it all drained onto my life jackets, surf board, and ropes. To this day they still smell like piss....

Chips in general are forbidden, my wife brings them but her ass sits on the swim platform to eat them.

Like Fred stated, binging "people" on the boat is a bad idea. Ill stick to bringing experienced wakeboarders.
Old    ScottRobinson            08-26-2010, 9:08 AM Reply   
Fred- Great post ! lol Yeah I do need to do some of that. I guess I am just too nice about it. I really do live by that and say it at least once a week to my wife. "I will make more money tomorrow hun" So, makes life just seem more simple to me. I hate to worry about money. Although we are lucky and really don't have too, still wife is a tightass and I blow money like it's water. Seems backwards huh..lol She buys small things like $20 shoes...I buy $70,000 boats....lol. Seems FAIR right???

Yeah Rules on the boat for me is SOOO hard to get thru to people - Meaning my wife and kids!! I say nothing RED or orange, no shoes, nothing that will stain anything. Yet we get out there half the time and the dam cooler has Gold Fish (she says they are GOLD not orange....BULL$HIT they are) juiceboxes that have red crap in them....she wears her damn flip flops in the boat (says they are flip flops and not shoes...and I CALL BULL$HIT) but if I want ANY FUN (and you know what I mean by fun boys) I have to just smile and tell everyone "be careful with that" Then when we get home spend 2 freaking hours cleaning every nook out so I don't get stains.

Who said being married is a Give and Take..lol

Guess I made her out to be bad along with my kids, not true really. They are amazing, but they do think since we own a cool boat we should be able to do what we want on it and eat and wear shoes. She says "what good is this boat if we can't be a family on it" uggg so I don't argue, again the WOMAN is always right, something I learned a long time ago!!!
Old    ScottRobinson            08-26-2010, 9:17 AM Reply   
How the "F" does someone PISS on all your crap? If someone starts to piss somewhere I am pushing them in and leaving them there. lol well at least pushing them in the damn water. My stuff starts to smell like pee I am gonna be really "pissed" off. I would never invite either of those people again Sam. Seriously Pee all over and a pet snake.....WTF man!!! lol
Old     (olmoomba)      Join Date: Apr 2010       08-26-2010, 10:45 AM Reply   
you can be a family without red juice and ORANGE gold fish. I find that gold fish and cheese nips don't stain. Potatoe chips dissolve and dog poo/pee washes out of my carpet just fine. In general it is a neausance. I have gotten more laid back (read beaten up) by my wife and kids. It's all good and no damage has done as a result of them. and the only dog on my boat is my dog, saves friendships that way.

Change the rule from no shoes to NO FOOTWEAR.

Sam - time to replace that friend with one of a non public pisser type, lol.
Old     (samhanna)      Join Date: Sep 2009       08-26-2010, 10:51 AM Reply   
Just to clarify, he is not a boater, he was hammered drunk, I had 14 people on our boat all drunk, and he peed in his swimsuit instead of pulling his swimsuit down... So it all immediately drained down his leg and ultimately into my rear locker.
Old    ScottRobinson            08-27-2010, 6:44 AM Reply   
LMFAO..now that is funny. So drunk he pissed himself. Allbeit not in a great spot on the boat. One more rule should be added.... "No more drinking if you can't remember to pull your thing out and piss in the water"
Old     (MikeyG)      Join Date: Apr 2010       08-27-2010, 8:32 AM Reply   
DALE HOLLOW LAKE in TN is awesome! If you all meet up there I will have to stop in grab a ride from one of you guys! 2.5 hrs from my house.
Old     (fuzzball147)      Join Date: Apr 2010       08-28-2010, 5:15 AM Reply   
I've found a good way to get the point across is to make it a rule to get gas on the way to the lake and have everyone stop with you to get snacks, drinks, etc. I have them stand at the pump and talk to me. It's amazing the look on peoples face as they watch the dollars roll on forever on the pump.