Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through June 17, 2007

Old     (whoisrockey)      Join Date: Mar 2006       06-01-2007, 3:43 PM Reply   
Hey question for all you guys. i have the option of picking up a phat budde tower but the problem is it doesnt have the mounting hardware which is like a ball joint that fits in a saddle dealio. instead i was wondering if it was feasable to just take it and weld some plates to the bottom and attach it accordinly with the under plate ect. i had a proflight tower on my last boat and that was how it was mounted and seemed to be fine? does that sound like it would be an issue? i called up phat budde and they told me $500 bucks just for the mounting hardware?!!!! i thought that sounded crazy. what do you guys think?
Old     (keith2002)      Join Date: Apr 2006       06-01-2007, 5:45 PM Reply   
Buy something else. I got rid of my Phat Tower because it shook more than Mohammad Ali. I have heard good things about Monster Tower.
Old     (tracktor)      Join Date: Sep 2005       06-01-2007, 6:00 PM Reply   
Call Samson Sports, if it's an older one the design is same/similiar. Samason's customer service is unbelievable........
Old    alanp            06-01-2007, 7:01 PM Reply   
sam take it to a good fab shop and they should be able to take care of you.
Old     (whoisrockey)      Join Date: Mar 2006       06-01-2007, 9:20 PM Reply   
ok well heres my deal. both the samson tower and the phat budde are like 2,500 to 2,700.
i can get this tower with no hardware for 500 bucks? can i possibly go wrong here?
Old     (jpshaff01)      Join Date: Jun 2005       06-01-2007, 9:41 PM Reply   
From the website they look pretty sweet for 500 if you don't have to ship it i'm sure you can figure something out
Old     (keith2002)      Join Date: Apr 2006       06-02-2007, 7:42 AM Reply   
Sam - Yes you can go wrong. Phat Towers are made to fit a specific boat, they are not stiff and the board racks don't work well. for just a few more $$$ you can get a better tower that will fit your boat.
http://www.monstertower.com/monster_tower.htm
Old     (whoisrockey)      Join Date: Mar 2006       06-02-2007, 10:57 AM Reply   
im not a big fan of the monster tower look. i like the phat budde look. ive got other buddies that said they like the tower alot. anyone else here have any experiance with one?
Old     (cyclonecj)      Join Date: Jul 2001       06-02-2007, 11:29 AM Reply   
You can get the tower mounting hardware from Pyramid Manufacturing on ebay
Old     (whoisrockey)      Join Date: Mar 2006       06-02-2007, 8:08 PM Reply   
has anyone had plates welded to the end of a tower? most wakeboard towers seem like that is how they are mounted with round plates and backing plates as well. just curious if anyone has done this?
Old     (tracktor)      Join Date: Sep 2005       06-03-2007, 1:17 PM Reply   
I have a Samson/Phat Budde tower. It was on the boat when I got it. I update the mounting feet from the old 1 1/2" round style that was on it to much bigger plates and added better reinforcements inside the hull. Samson hooked me up with all the new parts at a very reasonable cost. It works great and doesn't sway/shake or rattle any more thatn any other towers that I have seen. The board built-in board racks work OK and are great when you add standard fork ons as you can hold up to 8 boards. As for just welding plates on, that would probably work but it seems like alot of work when a call to Samson would probably yield better results..........
Old     (whoisrockey)      Join Date: Mar 2006       06-09-2007, 1:13 PM Reply   
ok. fabrication done. tower is on. going out today to ride behind it. i put huge plates behind it cause i figured bigger is better. here are some pics let me know what you think. it went from just round tube to what it is now. Upload
Upload
Upload
Old     (spoonman)      Join Date: Aug 2005       06-09-2007, 1:23 PM Reply   
Those screws/ bolts look a little small for the load
Old     (dubguy72)      Join Date: Jul 2006       06-09-2007, 10:32 PM Reply   
if i were you i would lay some fiberglass or plexis on the underside of you tower

the screws won't last but just my opinion
Old     (carcrz)      Join Date: Mar 2006       06-10-2007, 5:54 AM Reply   
Those screws are definitely too small. It does all look good though.
Old     (jlembas)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-10-2007, 6:30 AM Reply   
Wow. Impressive job for a DIY! Somebody has had some experience and access to a fab shop. It is not easy making those plates and bending them so clean.

BTW, those screws are fine IMO as long as they bolt thru to a backing plate. I've seen plenty of towers mounted that way and they were fine(most Nautiques are mounted just like that).
Old     (wakesetter101)      Join Date: Oct 2005       06-10-2007, 8:37 AM Reply   
Looks very nice. I would get some larger screws.
Old     (whoisrockey)      Join Date: Mar 2006       06-10-2007, 10:10 AM Reply   
the screws are 1/4" stainless. they look small in the picture. they are actually pretty big. my old pro flight on my supreme had even smaller screws. they go through a huge backing plate. thanks for the input guys.