Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through February 11, 2004

Old    alanp            11-30-2003, 7:25 PM Reply   
i can jump wake to wake most of the time when i have enough speed. well id say about 80% of the time i jump it. i like the feeling of exploding off of the wake of my dads ranger fishing bass boat. the wake gets really rampy when i add the 50# bag of dried cement. i learned an indy grab today but that was kinda boring. i saw in a video a dude named park something do an s-bend and that seems more my speed. but i need some advice on exactly how to throw it.
Old    tribal            11-30-2003, 7:54 PM Reply   
What are you trying to get started here?
Old     (kevin_bird)      Join Date: Dec 2002       11-30-2003, 7:59 PM Reply   
no you sound like the kinda guy who should first try an s-bend to blind like that guy shapiro
Old     (kevin_bird)      Join Date: Dec 2002       11-30-2003, 8:00 PM Reply   
why do you have a 1995 prostar 190 when your dad has that sweet ranger
Old    xtremebordgurl            11-30-2003, 8:17 PM Reply   
Alan, go for it. Worse comes to worse ur just gonna wreck urself. However it would probably be a good idea to start small and work ur way up. Get ur w2w jumps consistent, I would recoment going out an picking up a wake instructional, cause if u just start out tryin to do the more dificlut tricks ur not going to have a very good foundation, and it will take u longer to learn other tricks. So keep working on the basics, riding switch, 180's grabs grabbed 180s, lipslides, etc. It may not be as fun as trying something like an s-bend but if u take the time now to learn the fundamentals and how to do it right with the right technique then u will be greatful later on down the line. You'll also prob develop ur own style if u do it this way, cause just huck'n yourself at the wake isn't very stylish (in my opinion) Some good wake instructionals: Detention Vol. 1 and 2, Higher Education Vol. 1 and 2. Good luck, and remember, wakeboarding is all about having fun!
Old    buttacup            11-30-2003, 9:24 PM Reply   
Whatever you try next, make sure someone has it on camera because those things never go right the first time
Old     (deepstructure)      Join Date: Jun 2002       11-30-2003, 10:19 PM Reply   
is this the alan i rode with with steven cohen at the river? you hit your head a bit hard or something? or is this a case of identity theft? :-)
Old     (sdboardr99)      Join Date: Aug 2001       11-30-2003, 10:24 PM Reply   
Either it's identity theft or Alan was really drunk when he posted...
Old     (wakehype)      Join Date: Dec 2002       11-30-2003, 10:53 PM Reply   
Haha, that's great... Or he was really drunk and has a consistent large raley, knows what hes doing, and is looking for some advice on the trick and through he would throw in a bit of humor.
Old    lachlantait            12-01-2003, 3:32 AM Reply   
yeah i was watching this video it had this guy called parks or something and i saw this move called a 'double half cab' or something i can nearly land wake to wake....... i mite try that next.
hmmmm i wouldnt say the s-bend is an easy trick maybe like a simple raley will suit you for like the next two years because it looks easy but are hard as F**k to pull back in.
all in all you have to crawl before you can walk... or even run in this case!
Old    tribal            12-01-2003, 6:17 AM Reply   
I think this is supposed to be a joke.Nobody could really be that stupid?
Old     (rootc)      Join Date: Aug 2002       12-01-2003, 8:53 AM Reply   
A s-bend is the perfect first invert. It only makes sense. If you can go wake to wake then the S-bend is definately the next step. The two moves are pratically the same except the s-bend looks more difficult. Most people I know who have learned the s-bend took a couple spills but it was no big deal. If you can't manage to nail the S-bend then maybe you should consider a vulcan. Again, the vulcan is a natural progression from a wake to wake jump. Good luck.
Old     (harryhog)      Join Date: Mar 2003       12-01-2003, 12:06 PM Reply   
i'm gonna have to ask, and maybe a stupid question.

but rootc, is that a joke!!
Old     (dococ)      Join Date: Mar 2002       12-01-2003, 12:27 PM Reply   
I agree with Kevin and rootc. The S-bend is really not all that difficult for a beginner. Actually, like the raley, "it's all mental," (so it should be perfect for you). Plus, it probably would be easier to learn behind a bass boat, due to the increased leverage of the outboard motor. I also suggest a nice, long stretchy poly-E line for additional recoil to help you complete the trick.
Please post the video to let us know how it works out.
Old     (board4food1)      Join Date: Jul 2002       12-01-2003, 12:35 PM Reply   
I've found the best training video out there is Shaun Murrays Wakeboarding Unleashed Video Game. Just play it for a few hours and take some notes.
Remember, do some nose and tail blunts to combine your tricks. So maybe you could do a W2W + tail blunt + switch S-bend. That would be a very easy natural progression for a beginner as yourself.

www.enemyofevil.com
Old     (solo)      Join Date: Oct 2001       12-01-2003, 1:36 PM Reply   
You guys are gonna get this guy hurt! Alan, wear a helmet!
Old     (cdm)      Join Date: Aug 2003       12-01-2003, 1:45 PM Reply   
You smoke crack Alan? Hope you have insurance.. I couldn't believe you were 27 when I looked at your profile. I thought for sure you were, oh, 12 maybe.. Good luck with that.
Old     (richd)      Join Date: Oct 2003       12-01-2003, 2:20 PM Reply   
Best way to learn an S-bend before doing one behind the boat:

1) Get 100 ft of rope with a good strong handle.

2) Go to truck stop and find big semi.

3) Tie the end of the rope opposite the handle to top of semi trailer.

4) Wait til truck hits about 50 before attempting this trick as you need a lot of airtime to complete the rotation.

5) Keep your eyes open and spot the landing.

If POP is right trick will complete itself!

If you can stomp this behind the truck it will be a piece of cake on the water.

BTW the Ranger needs a lot of ballast in the rear to get the best wake, if the outboard isn't at least an inch below the water you really need more weight!
Old     (board4food1)      Join Date: Jul 2002       12-01-2003, 3:37 PM Reply   
better yet, do it behind an airplane, you'll be surprized how many s-bends you can do in a row. This will give you a good feel for spinning in the air.
Remeber, don't force it. Let the plane do the work. All you have to concentrate on is good form. You won't even have to spot your landing. The plane will do that for you to.

ps. use some duck tape if you have a hard time holding on to the handle

www.enemyofevil.com
Old    murrayair            12-01-2003, 7:01 PM Reply   
Oh sure dude. just go for it. I was landing s-bends before I got my w2w 180's down. And after that came the kgb 7's and the off axis, double grabbed 1080's. Switch. Seriously, though, this has got to be a joke.
Old    beerdrnknboardr            12-01-2003, 8:31 PM Reply   
i think you should try to do a double or maybe a triple s-bend, or how about doing 2 of em with a tantrum inbetween the first and second
Old    wakeboardputz            12-01-2003, 8:35 PM Reply   
better yet........................punt!
Old     (tommyc)      Join Date: Nov 2003       12-01-2003, 8:41 PM Reply   
was up, Rich?
Old     (alo)      Join Date: Nov 2002       12-01-2003, 9:34 PM Reply   
you'd probably be better off landig that blind! go for it! i landed it on my second try...
Old     (richd)      Join Date: Oct 2003       12-02-2003, 5:17 AM Reply   
Hey Tom - just bored working and having some fun! I saw Derek's vid, very nice! Sounds like some more Expendables music?
Old     (rootc)      Join Date: Aug 2002       12-02-2003, 8:28 AM Reply   
Harry: Definately a joke. Many of the pros don't even have the balls to throw an s-bend/vulcan.
Old    alanp            12-02-2003, 7:50 PM Reply   
do to the overwhelming lack of support im not gonna try the s-bend.
Old    lachlantait            12-02-2003, 11:33 PM Reply   
ohh gee just wen everyone was getting into it, i was nearly gonna bust out my justin butinsky line of, "hay i can do a suicide raley"
Old    wranger            12-03-2003, 3:35 AM Reply   
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA too funny
Old    skippy            12-03-2003, 7:41 AM Reply   
Alan,

Go fot it, I have a mate that cant even ride switch, therefore a 180 is out of the question. Wake to wake, forget it. However he can land an s-bend and has a nice variance on the hoochie glide. We call it the Hoochie tickle or hoochie slap. He is great fun to watch.
Old     (board4food1)      Join Date: Jul 2002       12-03-2003, 10:07 AM Reply   
Ewan, post a pic
Old    tattoobling            12-03-2003, 12:31 PM Reply   
S-Bend? Why you being such a wuss, Al? I landed a heel clicker back flip to blind on my CR 250 over a 90 foot gap before I could even jump toe side. After that, everything seemed so much easier.
Old    yearling            12-03-2003, 4:13 PM Reply   
Wtf?."Yeah I can almost clear the wake behind my dads bass boat, yet in my profile i have a mc." At first I thought it was a joke, but there is no way a person could be that bad at trying to make somebody laugh. Yeah I think im gona go try an S-bend tommorow on my frozen over lake with my paddle boat!
Old    stormrider            12-03-2003, 6:01 PM Reply   
Alan- yes both Christopher Stack and I know who you are . . . this has been the funniest damn post I have ever read. I think you been chasing illegals through the Arizona desert for too long!

Think of your future. Don't do it, man!!! Then again, I'll pull ya if you wanna try!
Old    alanp            12-03-2003, 7:46 PM Reply   
ahh thanks steve. i rode the other day with drew and kevin. we had a pretty good time. im very close to landing that indy front roll.
so when are you guys gonna make it back out? its holding steady here in the upper 70's and the lake is empty. PERFECT!!! any luck finding gussy a dry suit?
Old    shaggydan22            12-04-2003, 9:05 AM Reply   
drysuit? upper 70's? I don't get it.
Old    stormrider            12-04-2003, 9:10 AM Reply   
Air temp-- at 2:00 p.m. Mornings in the 40s. Water in the high 50s-- but, hey, we can still ride! Definitely different. In the summer: air 105 and water 90+.

Christian's ear's fine, he's over pneumonia and I'm pretty much past a couple of "nagging" injuries. Plan on being out at the river in the next couple of weeks.

I think we found a drysuit for Gussy. We'll probably have to roll the ankle cuffs up to his knees and the wrist to his elbows, though, to make it seal!

Now go out and add that damn front roll to your already impressive bag of tricks!

What next? ahh, maybe I shouldn't ask that question... . . . wait, how about an S-bend! As many in San Diego know, I invented both the S-bend and the Vulcan, all in one day, which, coincidentally, just so happened to be my first day wakeboarding. I also learned both these tricks behind a ranger bass boat. Small world!

(Message edited by stormrider on December 04, 2003)
Old    shaggydan22            12-04-2003, 9:23 AM Reply   
Do most people wear drysuits in the high 50's? Not trying to be a smartass, i'm just curious. In the coldest of winter in AZ, whats the water temp at?
Old     (deepstructure)      Join Date: Jun 2002       12-04-2003, 9:23 AM Reply   
lol steven. my friend uses his drysuit (he's about the same size as me) for his nine year old. its a bit baggy on him, but it does the job.
Old     (board4food1)      Join Date: Jul 2002       12-04-2003, 9:34 AM Reply   
I don't know the exact temp of the water here in AZ in say, January. But it definetly requires a drysuit. Even though the air might be at 60-70.

www.enemyofevil.com
Old    pretty_boy            12-04-2003, 9:37 AM Reply   
Shag: I'll confirm what you in Minnesota pretty much already suspect about us southern Californians- wez go real thin blood. It's 50 outside and we don't want to get out of bed cuz its SOOOOO cold!

Colorado river carries snow melt as well as water from the bottom of lakes so it's pretty cold. I start with the drysuit around 65 degrees!
Old    stormrider            12-04-2003, 9:38 AM Reply   
Sorry, that was me, not Christian with the last post.
Old    shaggydan22            12-04-2003, 10:27 AM Reply   
Hahaha. Its ok, i'm still jealous of you and your warm weather, and not having ice on your lakes. This year in MN we used a drysuit once at the end of the year at 45 degrees(air and water). Now that I think about it, we got our first snow that evening. Otherwise i'm all about the trunks. Maybe this winter I might have to go on a road trip around the south and bum rides for a week.

(Message edited by shaggydan22 on December 04, 2003)
Old    shanny            12-07-2003, 1:38 PM Reply   
dude i think your a moron buddy that park guy u were talking about is parks bonifayok if you can jump wake to wake half the time an s-bend..... well your so far away from even tryin its not even funny.
Old    alanp            12-07-2003, 6:46 PM Reply   
well i may be a moron but there is something to be said for coherence.
Old     (deepstructure)      Join Date: Jun 2002       12-07-2003, 7:08 PM Reply   
lol alan. can't say you didn't get quite a reaction, eh? :-)
Old    lachlantait            12-08-2003, 9:59 PM Reply   
hay shanny are you trying to be stupis or does it happen like that if you read up about half way he sorta mentions that he was joking or that that was the drift of the post.
Old     (rootc)      Join Date: Aug 2002       12-15-2003, 10:48 AM Reply   
Takes a real rocket scientist to know the post was a joke. Most noobs don't even know what an s-bend is.
Old     (wakestar8878)      Join Date: Oct 2003       01-30-2004, 4:07 PM Reply   
Sorry guys...but i thought this thread was damn funny...so i had to re-vamp it.