Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       06-17-2010, 12:18 PM Reply   
hmmm...what to wear tonight; lakers jacket? lakers shooting shirt? lakers shorts? lakers tear-away pants?
Attached Images

Old     (lizzyb)      Join Date: Sep 2005       06-17-2010, 12:47 PM Reply   
Matthew has been suited up and ready to go all day..
Attached Images

Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       06-17-2010, 12:49 PM Reply   
hahaha! that's awesome!
Old     (lizzyb)      Join Date: Sep 2005       06-17-2010, 2:04 PM Reply   
We're raising him right. He already jumps around the house screaming "GO KOBE! GO LAKERS!"

Only two years old and already knows who the best player in basketball is. My kid is a genius.
Old     (mjfan23)      Join Date: Nov 2003       06-17-2010, 8:46 PM Reply   
fouls fouls fouls.

MVP - Pau
Old     (ord27)      Join Date: Oct 2005       06-17-2010, 8:57 PM Reply   
BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

how much more can the refs favor a team!!!???

I hate the lakers!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old     (wakeboardertj)      Join Date: May 2005       06-17-2010, 9:00 PM Reply   
CHEEEAAAAA. Ugly offensive game but a great second half to watch. LAKERS!!!
Old     (mjfan23)      Join Date: Nov 2003       06-17-2010, 9:21 PM Reply   
17 free throws for one team... 37 for the other.
Old     (jsw)      Join Date: Apr 2009       06-17-2010, 9:52 PM Reply   
After what I just saw from 2 Lakers fans from LA in a TN Chillis, I have no respect for any Lakers fan. I don't even like basketball, and they made me hate it even more. They had everyone in the restaurant complaining about their rude and ridiculous antics. Kobe is garbage anyway.
Old     (mendo247)      Join Date: Mar 2005       06-17-2010, 10:16 PM Reply   
No prob Steve.. I have NO respect for you either..

LAKERS ROLL!!!!!! That was an EPIC series, felt like I was watchin history..... So nice to see Artest step it up this series!! Part of me (be it a very tiny part) was wondering how funny it would have been if the Lakers lost the series and Kobe got MVP lol Kobe has definetly cemented his place in history.. Haters still wont shut up for even a night though lol

Bottles Poppin in Coops house tonight!! Its gonna be a great day at work tomorrow and a GREAT weekend!!
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       06-17-2010, 10:22 PM Reply   
wow...so according to steve, 2 rude fans he encountered = every laker fan? pathetic.
Old     (pesos)      Join Date: Oct 2001 Location: Texas       06-17-2010, 10:39 PM Reply   
Old     (Sly_Park_Mark)      Join Date: Mar 2010       06-17-2010, 11:44 PM Reply   
I don't think I've ever seen a team win a playoff game with such a bad performance through three-and-a-half quarters, but a win is a win! Anyone else gonna be at the parade on Monday? I'm driving down Sunday night.
Old     (lizzyb)      Join Date: Sep 2005       06-18-2010, 8:24 AM Reply   
There are not enough words to describe how much I wish we were in LA right now. I've come to the realization that I just do NOT belong in King's country. It's wrong.

Quite possibly the most upsetting/uncomfortable/stressful game of my entire life. It was awesome.

All of the Lakers with tears in their eyes.. the incredible display of emotion after such a long and difficult playoff journey... it was really touching. Anyone else notice Hannah Storm ask Kobe Bryant in a post-game interview about Fisher's future with the Lakers? Kobe insisting Fisher will not be going anywhere... loved it. That's good as gold on this team.

Boston played an incredible series. I can only hope to do it all again next year.
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       06-18-2010, 8:30 AM Reply   
Congrats to the Laker fans.... Enjoy!

I am actually looking forward to watching what happens throughout the NBA this offseason.....
Old     (mjfan23)      Join Date: Nov 2003       06-18-2010, 9:16 AM Reply   
Fisher always seemed to get a big bucket when LA needed it. All throughout the series. That open three was hugeeee for LA.

I cant stand that LA won that game on free throws, but when it comes down to it Boston has to adjust to how the refs call things. I still believe Rasheed gets every questionable call against him, although he barried himself on that one over the years exploding off of everything.

Congrats to Kobe, he now can rock 2 rings with dignity... Although I could argue Pau shoulda got the MVP, they won when he played well.

Last edited by mjfan23; 06-18-2010 at 9:21 AM.
Old     (mendo247)      Join Date: Mar 2005       06-18-2010, 10:07 AM Reply   
I actually thought the refs were pretty good last night. Rasheed hammered Artest (i think) under the hoop towards the ends and nothign got called. Seemed to me they were only calling the obivious. Being a huge Carolina fan I have to say it was nice to see Rasheed shine last night. I dont like his crappy attitude and aggressiveness but hes the type of guy youd love to have on your team (kinda like Artest). Hes always reminded me of a Robert Horry type of player, when you really need him you can usually count on him in the spotlight.

2 more weeks till the Silly Season! Should be interesting!
Old     (95sn)      Join Date: Sep 2005       06-18-2010, 12:09 PM Reply   
Coops said it, Epic series and That was History.
It was a game/battle that i dont think anyone expected to see. The grinding, and physicality feed into Bostons strength and in my eyes they dominated most of the game. Refs also had their best called game of the series.

"Quite possibly the most upsetting/uncomfortable/stressful game of my entire life. It was awesome."
Exactly Liz, i was having a little bit of anxiety attack 3rd qtr down by 13. Toughest game i ever saw, hardest to watch, instant classic.

After everyone riding Artest and his shortfalls all season, thru each playoff series, and each game in the finals...dude carried the Lakers for 2 1/2-3 qtrs, did exactly what he needed to to win.
Kobe now has 5 rings which is pretty special, for the one of you who is ignorant of basketball history...he played a major role in every championship and is standing with the NBA elite at the top. Everyone played their hearts out, my hat is off to Artest for everything, Bynum for competing injured, the consistent pau gasol, Fisher being Fish and always hitting those big shots, Sasha hit clutch free throws, Lamar had key offensive boards and put backs....Congrats to the Champs, they really earned that win.

Why do sportscasters immediatly after a championship win have to start w/ the jordan comparisons, asking phil if he will be back... do they really think they are gonna get a breaking story? Hey celebrate the championship, ask about the game, stay in the moment!
Old     (ord27)      Join Date: Oct 2005       06-18-2010, 2:19 PM Reply   
don't you expect riots if you lost to a bad call......

I don't guess I understand the L.A. mindset....

http://www.csmonitor.com/From-the-ne...-in-NBA-finals
Old     (pesos)      Join Date: Oct 2001 Location: Texas       06-18-2010, 4:54 PM Reply   
one of the many reasons I'm glad I am no longer in hell-A. ridiculous.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       06-19-2010, 4:49 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by pesos View Post
one of the many reasons I'm glad I am no longer in hell-A. ridiculous.
yeah cause championship riots only happen in l.a.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       06-19-2010, 6:34 PM Reply   
27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000" id="ep">
Old     (pesos)      Join Date: Oct 2001 Location: Texas       06-19-2010, 10:45 PM Reply   
who riots after winning? not even detroit has crap like this anymore. I guess we might see something like this if the Raiders ever made it far enough lol
Old     (Sly_Park_Mark)      Join Date: Mar 2010       06-21-2010, 10:43 PM Reply   
Just got back home after going to the Lakers parade this morning. Drove down, went to the parade, drove back up. Totally worth it!
Old     (pesos)      Join Date: Oct 2001 Location: Texas       06-21-2010, 11:47 PM Reply   
Sly are you joking?
Old     (Sly_Park_Mark)      Join Date: Mar 2010       06-22-2010, 7:59 AM Reply   
Well, I had a few other business things to take care of while I was down there, so it wasn't totally about the parade, but I've wanted to go to a championship parade my whole life.
Old     (lizzyb)      Join Date: Sep 2005       06-22-2010, 8:09 AM Reply   
If I didn't have a two year old at home and a job with no flexibility.. I would have drove down also. I bet it was awesome.
Old     (Sly_Park_Mark)      Join Date: Mar 2010       06-22-2010, 9:02 AM Reply   
It was amazing! I'll post up some pics tonight.
Old     (mendo247)      Join Date: Mar 2005       07-08-2010, 2:34 PM Reply   
Whos gonna be watching Prince James tonight? Ill be tuned in with my popcorn and Kobe Jersey. Its being reported that hes come to the conclusion he is no Michael, Kobe or even D.Wade and is gonna need atleast 2 of the best players in the league to win himself a ring lol Did Michael or Kobe ever leave abanden a team in there prime to win a ring cause they couldnt do it the REAL way?
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       07-08-2010, 2:45 PM Reply   
if he goes to miami, does that make the heat the favorites to win it all?
Old     (mendo247)      Join Date: Mar 2005       07-08-2010, 2:50 PM Reply   
I would think it has too. One problem though. They have NO supporting cast... Im still hoping he stays put or heads to one of the NY teams.
Old     (jefefitz)      Join Date: May 2002       07-08-2010, 2:55 PM Reply   
if he goes to miami they still have a lot of work to do to suround their "big 3." i can't believe that they will all be able to co-exist though, sure they played together in the olympics but that wasn't in anybodies house as it will be wades house in miami. on that note, can anyone see lebron playing second fiddle to wade or wade relinquishing control? i have a tough time seeing him leaving cleveland, his brand would be damaged greatly by jumping ship a la a-rod. i also cant believe that byron scottt would sign with cleveland before phil jackson made a decision in la without a garauntee that bron bron would be back. the whole situation stinks to high heaven and is a complete circus, lebron just wants attention. they should have all taken a good look at what durant did. my .02
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       07-08-2010, 3:02 PM Reply   
If he went to Chicago, then Chicago would be the favorite to win it all......

In Miami, they are immediately in the mix as teams with a chance....

I don't think they will have an issue co-existing.... They are all unselfish players.... Lebron will not be playing second fiddle to anyone, but I just don't think there is going to be ego issues....

Scott wanted back in the league.... There was no/is no guarantee.... I also don't think there is any remarkable damage to his reputation....
Old     (mendo247)      Join Date: Mar 2005       07-08-2010, 3:07 PM Reply   
If he leaves Clevland his brand will be severly tarnished. All of NY will hate him, Cleveland will hate him, Chicago will hate him.. Half the league already thinks what hes doing is a joke. I've kinda enjoyed it lol But I think he needs to stay in Cleveland if he ever wants to be considered the greatest ever.

So you know Wade will be taking the final shot to start the season. What if he misses a few? Think Lebron is just gonna sit back and not want his shot? If Lebron does end up in Miami Im affraid Bosch will go from a premier player to ending up in an Odom type of roll. Not that I dont like Odom I just think it will be a step back for him.

Byron Scott never really had a chance at the L.A. job anyways. Thats Brian Shaws job. Lakers would have to start all over if B.Scott came in.
Old     (95sn)      Join Date: Sep 2005       07-08-2010, 3:39 PM Reply   
they only play w/ one ball in miami dont they? yeah i dont think it means instant rings. in the mix? yes. Ego's? proably none bigger than the guy who calls himself king.
If he leaves Ctown they should thank him for all he has brought and done for them. Since when is it his responsibility to support a city?
Old     (mendo247)      Join Date: Mar 2005       07-08-2010, 3:47 PM Reply   
Could you imagine if Magic would have left the Lakers in his prime? Or MJ leaving the Bulls in his prime? Larry leaving the Celtics? Kobe the Lakers? Has there ever been a top 2, face of the league player switch teams in his prime?
Old     (95sn)      Join Date: Sep 2005       07-08-2010, 4:08 PM Reply   
Yes, Lew Alcindor, im sure theres way more. I do see your point tho
Old     (mendo247)      Join Date: Mar 2005       07-08-2010, 4:16 PM Reply   
Good Call!! Atleast he brought his first team a ring before he left! Was he the face of the league when he left? That was alittle before my time.
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       07-08-2010, 4:31 PM Reply   
Richard, I believe that you have Kobe love glasses on..... Not that there is anything wrong with that, just do....

New York isn't going to hate LeBron...they are going to hate Knicks management for not putting together a deal to get him... Chicago...what do they have to hate? Half the league thinks he is a joke....WTF????

If LeBron goes and wins a few championships, his time in Cleveland will just be looked at as the start of his career....especially with his age....

LeBron has many more years & MVP's to win....and maybe....just maybe, a Championship or two....
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       07-08-2010, 4:37 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by mendo247 View Post
Good Call!! Atleast he brought his first team a ring before he left! Was he the face of the league when he left? That was alittle before my time.
KAJ left the Bucks after the 74-75 season... He was the MVP of the league in 71, 72, 74, 76...(more after, but you get the point)

Not sure there was a face of the league back then.... It was not the NBA of today....
Old     (95sn)      Join Date: Sep 2005       07-08-2010, 4:47 PM Reply   
The knicks may have surpased the clippers as the worst franchise. Signing Amare who is more expensive than David Lee, more flashy than DL but not really any better. Congrats NY, you suck for another handful of years.
BTW, i think the steve blake signing was a good move, seeya Farmar. Thanks for your contribution.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       07-08-2010, 4:49 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by deuce View Post
New York isn't going to hate LeBron
i disagree....new york will hate him. chicago will hate him. new jersey will hate him. and cleveland will hate him. none of these cities will put more blame on management than on lebron.
Old     (mendo247)      Join Date: Mar 2005       07-08-2010, 4:56 PM Reply   
hahaha not really E.J. Possibly though. I've been watching this everyday all day since Jul 1st.. Two things almost everyone (NBA analysts) agree on are.

1. If he leaves Clevland and doesnt go to one of the NY teams he will hurt his brand.

2. If he leaves Clevland and goes to Miami he will tarnish he reputation as being the greatest ever. He couldnt make it happen with a great supporting cast and needed to go to Miami and join one of the greatest closers in the game and possibly the best big man.

NY fans will hate him! Its NY you really think they are gonna be mad at management?

Also quite a few people think this whole T.V. special is a joke. Bringing all the teams into downtown Cleveland for meetings was a parade. Could have done it at his house out of the public eye.. etc.. etc.

You know Durant signed a big extension right! Didnt you watch his episode last night lol
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       07-08-2010, 6:29 PM Reply   
can't wait for the lakers to beat the crap out of the heat!
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       07-08-2010, 7:31 PM Reply   
Quote:
quite a few people think this whole T.V. special is a joke
All the money generated from it is being given to the Boys and Girls club - +1 for LBJ
AWESOME MIAMI! --- looks like its 5 years of rings going down there.... +5 for LBJ

I was on a business trip with a guy from Cleveland and he said that no matter where he goes he is going to be a Lebron fan.... so maybe most of Cleveland will have that attitude.

I love it and he is the man.
Old     (mendo247)      Join Date: Mar 2005       07-08-2010, 7:36 PM Reply   
5 years of rings? hahahaha that statement says it all lol

Are you watching this on T.V.? Do the Cleveland fans look like they still like him?
Old     (dave23)      Join Date: Nov 2006       07-08-2010, 7:47 PM Reply   
Lebron said he doesn't have the pressure to score 30 point's a night. MJ did that and he has 6 rings to show for it.
Old     (zo1)      Join Date: Aug 2002       07-09-2010, 5:47 AM Reply   
Dan Gilbert = Al Davis, just younger...
Old     (aarond0083)      Join Date: Apr 2007       07-09-2010, 6:24 AM Reply   
Quote:
KAJ left the Bucks after the 74-75 season... He was the MVP of the league in 71, 72, 74, 76...(more after, but you get the point)
I believe Kareem was traded from the Bucks. A different situation that Lebron.
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       07-09-2010, 6:53 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by aarond0083 View Post
I believe Kareem was traded from the Bucks. A different situation that Lebron.
Correct, he was traded...

The difference is that though still just an asset that franchises use and discard, now players have a bit more say.... I think it is great that LeBron took his future in his own hands, appears to be taking a little less money and is going to play with his friends....

IMO, he didn't go to the best team.....nor did he take the most money..... Besides all the people in Cleveland thinking that somehow this kid owes them something.....I see absolutely nothing wrong with his decision. Good on him....
Old     (bennn)      Join Date: Jun 2010       07-09-2010, 6:55 AM Reply   
haha manzo that letter he wrote was hilarious
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       07-09-2010, 6:58 AM Reply   
Let me add... I have to assume that the owner of the Cavs is the "buck stops here" representation of the Cleveland Cavaliers franchise and with his juvenile comments, I'd bolt that business as well. What an idiot....
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       07-09-2010, 7:45 AM Reply   
So there's one less team worth watching, leaving what, 4-5 good teams? This is good for the NBA how?
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       07-09-2010, 8:08 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by behindtheboat View Post
So there's one less team worth watching, leaving what, 4-5 good teams? This is good for the NBA how?
What does this have to do with being good for the NBA?

But..........we're all talking about the NBA in July.......
Old     (aarond0083)      Join Date: Apr 2007       07-09-2010, 8:28 AM Reply   
The NBA is worthless to me until the Playoffs so this should be exciting.

I don't really have a favorite NBA team, just enjoy post season play. That being said, I hope Kobe and the Lakers crush the Heat in the finals next year. LeBron is a great talent but if he thinks he is the best player in the world he is sadly mistaken. That title belongs to Kobe Bryant.
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       07-09-2010, 8:49 AM Reply   
Not going to argue with you on that, I don't care for basketball much anyway, I'm glad he got this over with so it quits interrupting Soccer coverage and football camps.

I think a major reason people are like myself and ^^ Aaron are mainly because of there only being 4-5 good teams with a shot at a title. It's lame, it's not worth watching. If the NBA wants to remain the way it is, it needs to spread the wealth and talent. If not, go with a 10 team league
Old     (mjfan23)      Join Date: Nov 2003       07-09-2010, 8:59 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by aarond0083 View Post
. LeBron is a great talent but if he thinks he is the best player in the world he is sadly mistaken. That title belongs to Kobe Bryant.
Statistics prove otherwise.

Lebron is hands down the best player in the game. Kobe is the MVP on the best team in the league.
Old     (ttrigo)      Join Date: Dec 2004       07-09-2010, 9:03 AM Reply   
I can't wait to see the Heat falter in the playoffs next year. it will be classic tv for sure. are the heat going to be able to find 6-7 guys who are willing to sign for the league minimum? that is the real question I have.
Old     (mjfan23)      Join Date: Nov 2003       07-09-2010, 9:09 AM Reply   
does it matter the other two? Name three players who can check bosh lbj and wade.. Not happening. If this team gels, unstoppable.
Old     (bflat53212)      Join Date: Mar 2003       07-09-2010, 9:19 AM Reply   
Wow! I disappear for a couple of months and this place gets ridiculous. Does it even pay to respond to Coop? I mean seriously man.

"Its being reported that hes come to the conclusion he is no Michael, Kobe or even D.Wade and is gonna need atleast 2 of the best players in the league to win himself a ring lol Did Michael or Kobe ever leave abanden a team in there prime to win a ring cause they couldnt do it the REAL way? "

You're a clown man! This just in, MJ played in an era where a tall white dude from Boston with no jumping ability and no lateral quickness was considered one of the best players in the league. Wake up man, the game has changed!

I love how the media is ripping LeBron for taking control of his own media/publicity event. Most businessman would consider this a wise move. ESPN had already made his free agency an out-of-hand media hysteria. I thought it was wise to hold his tongue until he was given ample opportunity to respond to questions. Otherwise, he would've ended up on some radio talk show, getting questions bombed at him, with no time to respond, producers would've taken his comments and made quick sound bites quoting him out-of-context and saying all sorts of different things. The way he handled it, gave him control and everyone hears at the same time what he has to say. Plus he makes some money for a local charity. Gee, what an evil, selfish guy!

I listened to what he said last night, I thought he did a very good job. He stayed in control, spoke from the heart and made very logical points. He gave Cleveland 7 years. He is not quitting on his teammates (as some here have eluded too), since he was born in Ohio and drafted by Cleveland, does that mean he has to stay in Ohio the rest of his life? He played his heart out for this team for the past 7 years, he becomes a free-agent and that means he is quitting on his team???? Does this mean every player who ever changes his team by choice, is quitting on his teammates? How much more is LeBron supposed to give to Cleveland? When would it be ok for him to leave?

So to answer one of the questions or mistruths being discussed on this board: Yes Lew Alcindor (Kareem) was traded, but he was forcing the Bucks hand and they would've lost him in free agency. He "demanded" he be traded to either New York or LA, so the Bucks traded him to LA for guys including Brian Winters and Junior Bridgeman. So was Lew being selfish? Did he quit on his teammates? Did this destroy his legacy because he ended up playing with Magic? I mean he couldn't win one without Oscar Robertson (arguably one of the greatest players ever) or Magic Johnson (gee…you mean it takes a team to win)?

So taking less money, taking a smaller role and learning how to play as a team with other great players is now a bad thing? I love how everyone is starting to bring up the legacy thing. Who cares? It's kind of like talking to someone who has run out of logical arguments, so they say…….yeah, but, but….what about his legacy man? aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaLeBron is not ruining his legacy or giving up on his teammates. He is building his legacy and changing directions. I for one, as an NBA fan am looking forward to this new era in Miami. I get to watch LeBron and Wade play together on the same team, that is exciting to me. I get to watch two all*-time elite players learn to keep their egos in check and play together, to win a championship. There is going to be a truckload of pressure on these guys, but then again LeBron has had that since before he left high school.

I love how the players have taken back control from wealthy owners and David Stern. They are the ones controlling this deal. They agreed on taking less and making this happen. The league is different now than it was when Jordan was in the league. You need talent and lots of it around you to win a championship. Look what it took Kobe to win one after losing Shaq. They had to rob Memphis and get lucky with an injury plagued year to Boston in order for LA to win it last year. Now, Boston is another year older and they still needed one of the best defensive players in the last 10 years playing on the team to beat Boston. Change a call here or there, get an injury here or there and everything changes.
Old     (mendo247)      Join Date: Mar 2005       07-09-2010, 10:22 AM Reply   
I'm a clown? Well that tall white dude was pretty amazing! Ever heard of Magic? Michael? Isiah? Dominique? Barkley? etc etc That tall white dude played with some athletic/talented guys and more than held his own(3 rings, three league MVPs). Seriously? Your gonna discredit him?

I dont dislike Lebron! I even have acouple Lebron Jerseys. I just think leaving Cleveland was the easy thing to do and clearly will tarnish his legacy. If he would have stayed in Cleveland and would have somehow been able to bring them a championship he would have instantly been vaulted to the list of greatest of all time! When you talk about Larry, Magic, Michael and Kobe etc. Think how sweet that championship would have been!! Its just hard for me to believe. I still couldnt imagine Magic, Michael, or Kobe leaving in their prime. I would have cried like a baby if Magic would have walked away form the Lakers lol When MJ was losing to the Pistons did he jump ship and join another team? Hell no! He got better and figured out a way to win!
Old     (bflat53212)      Join Date: Mar 2003       07-09-2010, 11:18 AM Reply   
"I'm a clown? "

Yes, you are a clown.

"Well that tall white dude was pretty amazing!"

Totally agree. An amazing, amazing basketball player. Not an amazing athletic person, which is the type of player that is in the league now.

My point is, Jordan doesn't do it "on his own" the "right way", in today's NBA. Just way too much athletically gifted players in the league today.

" I still couldnt imagine...... Kobe leaving in their prime"

lol...didn't Kobe try running away a few years ago? In fact he only stayed when they were able to steal Gasol away from Memphis. If they didn't end up with Gasol, do you really think Kobe would still be in LA? No Way!!!

"I just think leaving Cleveland was the easy thing to do "

Easy???? Yeah, because turning his back on all of his friends and family is easy. Come on man, if this was Kobe everyone would be talking about how he has the heart of a winner and he just has to win....blah, blah, blah.

By the way, I am not trying to "discredit" Bird.
Old    sperbet            07-09-2010, 11:19 AM Reply   
Have to agree with Coop on this one. He gave up. Poor Cavs fans.
Old     (wake77)      Join Date: Jan 2009       07-09-2010, 11:33 AM Reply   
There was a great NFL QB that chose to remain loyal to a team. Left the league without a ring and will always have to look at the fact that he was never a SB winner.

Nothing wrong with leaving a team, and let's face it the Cavs wouldn't have had the success they have had recently without LJ, that is not trying to deliver a championship. Bringing Shaq to that team made them worse. Poor Cavs fans may be right, but they need to be mad at management, not James.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       07-09-2010, 11:52 AM Reply   
skubz, i agree w/ you for the most part, but...

Quote:
He played his heart out for this team for the past 7 years, he becomes a free-agent and that means he is quitting on his team????
did you not see cleveland's last 2 playoff games? to me, it looked like lebron quit and was already looking forward to free agency.

Quote:
They had to rob Memphis and get lucky with an injury plagued year to Boston in order for LA to win it last year.
you can't use "injury" as an excuse for boston. kobe had a broken finger, bum knee and ankle and bynum had a torn meniscus. artest & odom had some injuries as well.

Quote:
didn't Kobe try running away a few years ago? In fact he only stayed when they were able to steal Gasol away from Memphis.
actually, kobe had his tantrum in the off-season. the lakers didn't get gasol until the middle of the following season.
Old     (mendo247)      Join Date: Mar 2005       07-09-2010, 11:55 AM Reply   
"My point is, Jordan doesn't do it "on his own" the "right way", in today's NBA."

Yeah I'm the clown bahahahahaha

Did you even watch basketball? Jordan three peated TWICE!! Beating great teams along the way, Pistons, Sixers, Lakers, Trailblazers, Suns, Cavs, Jazz, Pacers etc etc.. Oh but that was the OLD NBA... I'm sure none of those teams would have a chance in this NEW league you refer too lol Come on man...
Old     (mendo247)      Join Date: Mar 2005       07-09-2010, 11:57 AM Reply   
Oh check your memory... Gasol came well after Kobe made his decision.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       07-09-2010, 12:17 PM Reply   
interesting read
Old     (mendo247)      Join Date: Mar 2005       07-09-2010, 1:05 PM Reply   
Interesting alright.

I'm really tired of the hes taking less money routine! He turned down 126mil for 99mil. Isnt it damn near the same deal after taxes? Maybe a couple million difference over the five years. I thought I heard that last week somewhere.
Old     (ttrigo)      Join Date: Dec 2004       07-09-2010, 1:07 PM Reply   
I have no problem with him bailing on the cavs. they were not bringing enough to the table to help him win. I also aplaud him for taking control of his decision. but did it have to be done in a one hour special on live tv? (oh wait, he did it to raise money for the boys and girls club. gimme a break. he could just write a check for the same amount and not even notice it) how many times did he refer to himself in the first person? he made this decision weeks ago, so saying he spoke from the heart is a joke. he knew exactly where he was going. parading teams in and out of his town was a show, and that was it. I honestly hope someone checks him on his ego, and fast.

as far as Kobe goes. once he screwed over the clippers, I lost all respect for him.
Old     (95sn)      Join Date: Sep 2005       07-09-2010, 1:20 PM Reply   
^^ nice read, dude is a frontrunner as is much of his generation. I remember bringing it up after he gave up in those playoff games w/ Boston, im sure this was already on the stove on the back burner. It is a different nba today.

anyone else think stern will set up Lakers/Heat on Christmas Day?
Old     (95sn)      Join Date: Sep 2005       07-09-2010, 1:51 PM Reply   
clippers...really? Donald Sterling has screwed up every single draft, every player, every trade, every coach and every GM (and probably every tenant) he has ever had and you think Kobe burned them? I cant remember the last time i opened up an LA Times that egomaniac Sterling hasnt paid to have his wrinkled old puss plasterd on with a bunch of stupid awards and honors. Please, Sterling deserves all crap that rolls his way. Kobe was just creating a little leverage. I do agree w/ your take on the James show last night and his non-responsibility towards the cavs. And i like the clips, looking forward to seeing bGriffin etal...but sterling is an ass.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       07-09-2010, 1:53 PM Reply   
darrel, kobe did screw the clippers. remember when kobe was a free-agent? he went as far as wearing a clippers shirt at a pick-up game.
Old     (bflat53212)      Join Date: Mar 2003       07-09-2010, 2:00 PM Reply   
Quote:
did you not see cleveland's last 2 playoff games? to me, it looked like lebron quit and was already looking forward to free agency.
I was going to add that to my statement Joe. Totally agree. The first year Boston won it, that was LeBron's moment. He was there.

Quote:
you can't use "injury" as an excuse for boston. kobe had a broken finger, bum knee and ankle and bynum had a torn meniscus. artest & odom had some injuries as well.
True, but that would've been a fun series to watch. I just don't see LA being ready at that point if both teams are healthy. But neither one of us can prove each other wrong on this one.

Quote:
actually, kobe had his tantrum in the off-season. the lakers didn't get gasol until the middle of the following season.
I guess I see that differently. I believe the Lakers talked Kobe into staying and stick by my point. If they had not gotten Gasol or some other type of help, Kobe would not still be in LA.

Quote:
Did you even watch basketball? Jordan three peated TWICE!!
Thanks for proving my point Coop. Because everyone knows Kobe could take 2 years off right now and his first year back win a championship. Sorry, but even Jordan isn't THAT good. The league just wasn't that competitive at that point in Jordans career. I'm going to rub some people wrong with this, and make myself sick in the process. You look at basketball skills and atheltic ability, you don't think Kobe has every bit of talent that Jordan had? To me, the league is different.

I just find it funny how irate everyone (not necessarily you guys, but basketball fans in general) is over LeBrons decision. It is still his decision to make right? Legacy, money, loyalty, whatever, just let the dude play basketball, with who he wants to play basketball with and where he wants to do it. Either root for him or against him, or don't care at all. Talk about a dude who should pull a Ricky Williams and go travel the world and smoke pot and just leave everyone behind.

I think the article above is totally unfair. So LeBron, in this writers opinion, has to do it by himself? That's the only way to reach some sort of birthrite? Come on, Kobe had Shaq and now has Gasol and a whole slew of players with him. Magic had Kareem, Bird had McHale, Ainge and whole host of characters. Even Jordan had Pipen and the 2nd time around The Worm. In my opinion, Bosh is good, but he is not in the category of the other 2, so really you are talking about 2 superstars playing with each other. You just happen to have a 3rd really, really good player with them and absolutely no depth. There is a long way to go between now and the end of the season and Wade gets hurt a lot. This puts LeBron in a much better situation, but doesn't garauntee him anything.

I think everyone just needs to relax and enjoy the ride. This is history being made and will be something we should be able to look back on and go remember when.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       07-09-2010, 2:20 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by bflat53212 View Post
I believe the Lakers talked Kobe into staying
of course they did....wouldn't you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bflat53212 View Post
If they had not gotten Gasol or some other type of help, Kobe would not still be in LA.
that's an opinion, not a fact.
Old     (95sn)      Join Date: Sep 2005       07-09-2010, 2:23 PM Reply   
ok, maybe im a tad blinded by my mild distaste for the Clipper owner.

As i recall, the Lakers bought time during the 08 season pre gasol because of the suprise emergence of Bynum. Then gasol was the mid season jewel.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       07-09-2010, 2:28 PM Reply   
the lakers only made the move to get pau cause bynum got hurt.
Old     (aarond0083)      Join Date: Apr 2007       07-09-2010, 4:38 PM Reply   
Quote:
Statistics prove otherwise.

Lebron is hands down the best player in the game. Kobe is the MVP on the best team in the league.
How about this stat? Kobe, 5 championships. Lebron, 0 championships.

Like Jordan, Kobe has that killer instinct. Lebron does not have the same mentality, which is why he'll never be the best. Actually, he might be the best Scottie Pippen ever, no killer instinct and no desire to take the big shot.

Last edited by aarond0083; 07-09-2010 at 4:47 PM.
Old     (mendo247)      Join Date: Mar 2005       07-09-2010, 4:48 PM Reply   
Bingo

Lebron realizes this and thats why he went with the Heat vs Chicago or Cleveland. In Chicago he would still be THE man. I dont think he wanted to leave Cleveland, he just realized he couldnt be the top dog and lead a team to the title. I think thats why he had such a tough time leaving, I got the impression he wanted to stay during his interview last night. He didnt seem to pumped to make that announcement.
Old     (ttrigo)      Join Date: Dec 2004       07-09-2010, 5:55 PM Reply   
darrell,
i have a friend that worked with the clips at the time. after his dinner one night with elgin baylor, elgin told my friend to prepare the press release in regards to the signing of kobe. everyone in the office was popping champagne that night. the next day, kobe agreed to stay with the lakers. as much as i dislike elgin baylor and donald sterling, they got screwed over by kobe.
lebron did NOT NEED to do a one hour "look at how popular I am" press conference, just to stab his soon to be former team in the back. a simple press release would have been sufficient. why the dog and pony show, just to say what basically 95% of basketball fans already knew was going to happen. it's like the people in cleveland were the only ones surprised by this decision, that I am almost certain he had made by the time he drove home after his last stinkbomb against the celtics.