Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through August 20, 2009

Old     (powercorps)      Join Date: Nov 2006       08-20-2009, 11:14 AM Reply   
My friend decided to learn a hs bs 180 landing blind. His attempts looked cool so I decided to try it too, but first I thought it might be a good idea for me to learn how to ride in the wrapped position. Long story short I cannot figure out how in the world anybody can ride like that let alone land a jump! Had I not seen vids i would call it impossible. Everytime I try it i instantly unwrap and crash. How can I learn blind?
Old     (homedawg678)      Join Date: Jan 2007       08-20-2009, 11:16 AM Reply   
Slow the boat down and learn them going from inside the wake to out on your heelside which is really the toeside wake, if that makes any sense.

(Message edited by homedawg678 on August 20, 2009)
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       08-20-2009, 11:22 AM Reply   
+1
Doing inside - out blind ones work really well, just do like 1000 of them to get the landing from a weird feeling to muscle memory
Old     (powercorps)      Join Date: Nov 2006       08-20-2009, 11:26 AM Reply   
Nick and Nick, that makes sense... and that is what I was doing... it just seemed impossible. Your saying just keep trying and trying it
Old     (focker)      Join Date: Aug 2006       08-20-2009, 11:41 AM Reply   
What they said and here's another tip - dont weight the boat and go out there and do it on a small wake - its much easier then getting bucked way up in the air and having to land on the downside wake of a weighted boat.

Landing blind is all about confidence. It's very odd at first because you cant see the direction you're going to be traveling when you land and it takes some getting used to. Once you stick a few though your confidence will go up and it will become easier and easier.
Old     (homedawg678)      Join Date: Jan 2007       08-20-2009, 11:41 AM Reply   
Not wrapped, just regular.

Since you'll be going so slow it won't make a huge difference landing wrapped.
Old     (wakeboardlf25)      Join Date: May 2007       08-20-2009, 12:08 PM Reply   
i always landed cuffed (both hands on the handle behind your back) this really helped me out learning the 180s, plus when u land if u lean forward in the cuffed position you will almost always land edging away
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       08-20-2009, 12:22 PM Reply   
Cut out on your heels, like your going to do a TS wake jump. Cut out hard and fast, at the point where there is in more line tension do a backside ollie 180.

No body really ride for very long in that position, usually you just stick your feet down and either pass the handle or quickly unwind back to regular. The trick to sticking a landing like this is getting your body into the correct position before your feet hit the water. To land in a Blind or wrapped position there are really 3 things to focus on. I will break them donw one by one.

First, Chest over your toes. Look at the picture of Rusty landing his MASSIVE 1080 below:
Upload
Getting into this position will make the board track, and help you not get pulled out the back.

Next, Handle in tight in the small of your back. What you have to do during the rotation of this trick is pull the handle into the small of your back and keep it in tight. This will allow you to either set up to tic-toc back to regular or pass the handle to your lead hand. If the handle is out from your body you will get pulled over the back no matter how far your chest is over your toes.

Lastly, is your head. Your head is the key to a ton of wakeboard moves. Your head in this case is key in helping you spot your landing and to a certain extent is the deciding factor in whether or not you will Tic-Toc back to regular or pass the handle to your lead hand. If you want to tic-toc back to regular when you land you should almost be have your head in a position that you are looking backwards or down at your feet. If you want to pass to your front/lead hand you should move your head/eyes to looking at the shoreline or back at the boat, doing this will square up your shoulders and get you into the correct position.

Hope this helps!
Old     (bmartin)      Join Date: Jan 2007       08-20-2009, 12:25 PM Reply   
Have you tried just riding in cuffed position? I will do this to rest my arms when the boat turns around, but I would start there, then take it inside out, then w2w. When riding cuffed, look behind and down leaning forward and against rope.
Old     (powercorps)      Join Date: Nov 2006       08-20-2009, 1:53 PM Reply   
im a little confused is there a difference between cuffed and blind/wrapped?
Old     (kamighazi)      Join Date: Nov 2008       08-20-2009, 1:57 PM Reply   
cuffed is two hands. blind wrapped is one hand.