Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through June 28, 2009

Old     (sanger)      Join Date: May 2002       06-26-2009, 6:18 AM Reply   
There are new launch restrictions to keep
Lake Powell mussel free. http://www.lakepowell.org/

"All visitors bringing boats into Glen Canyon National Recreation Area are required to have their boat screened by a ranger. "

Has anyone been there yet and gone through the boat inspection? When you read the Quagga Mussel Alert word document it sounds like the inspection is fairly detailed. We're going next month and I'm concerned how I could prove my ballast hard tanks are dry and mussel free.
Old     (antoddio)      Join Date: Dec 2006       06-26-2009, 8:46 AM Reply   
Actually a good eco-movement. Better than regulating the killer gas carbon dioxide.
Old     (gwnkids)      Join Date: Nov 2003       06-26-2009, 10:16 AM Reply   
At Lopez we had to fill all of the tanks and bags with bleach and power wash the trailer at the ranger station before they would let us on the lake.

It took about 2 hrs they had to see water coming out of the overflows and let it set for 15 min
Old     (sanger)      Join Date: May 2002       06-26-2009, 10:24 AM Reply   
How did they have you fill the tanks?
Old     (trash4life)      Join Date: Jun 2005       06-26-2009, 11:09 AM Reply   
I had to go through the boat inspection at the Bullfrog launch earlier this month. It wasn't as big of a deal as I thought it was going to be. The guy just asked where you've had your boat in the last month. I hadn't had it anywhere with the Mussel but he still did the inspection. He had me open my engine compartment and took a quick look inside. He didn't inspect my hard ballast tanks or anything but did warn me that its an area that I need to be careful with. It took 10 minutes tops. The only thing that might change is if you have had your boat in an infected lake in the last month then they might be more agressive. Have fun.
Old     (brett564)      Join Date: Jul 2006       06-26-2009, 1:14 PM Reply   
Is there a website which talks about which lakes are confirmed infected, and which are not?
Old     (gwnkids)      Join Date: Nov 2003       06-26-2009, 1:22 PM Reply   
I had to use an ice chest fill it with the bleach water mix and crawl under the boat use my tsunami pump to pump the bleach from the ice chest through the fill holes in the bottom of the boat untill the water came out of the overflows. They were nice enough to keep filling the ice chest so that I could stay under the boat.

I had to supply the bleach also (its a good thing I had some in the camper).
Old     (sanger)      Join Date: May 2002       06-26-2009, 5:24 PM Reply   
That's kind of harsh having you us your own ice chest . Sounds like the key to Powell is not to have any water dripping from ballast fill/drains.
Old     (sanger)      Join Date: May 2002       06-26-2009, 10:22 PM Reply   
I meant to type - That's kind of harsh having you "use" your own ice chest .
Old     (sanger)      Join Date: May 2002       06-27-2009, 7:40 AM Reply   
Just found this on the NPS website about Lake Powell.

New Launch Requirements Effective June 29, 2009.

At major launch ramps, self-certification of watercraft will no longer be an option. Your watercraft must be certified by National Park Service or select concessions staff.

Failure to display this certificate could result in a mandatory court appearance, up to 6 months in jail, and a $5000 fine.