Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       09-28-2012, 1:03 PM Reply   
So it is official... I accepted a position at our corporate office in Bloomington today. So in approximately 3-4 weeks I will begin working there.

With that said, I need a place to live.... I would like to rent for 6 months to a year first to get a feel for the city / neighborhoods before buying... so here is what I've got to work with:

- Fiance and I are both in our mid 20's (24/25) and don't mind going out but also deep need college bar chaos
- We have a small dog that will need to come with us
- ~$1500/mo. for rent (less is great, more is okay if it is worth it)
- I would like to keep my commute to 25 mins or less, I will be working here - 1400 W 94th St, Bloomington, MN
- Don't want to be "in the hood"
- Fiance doesn't want to feel uncomfortable walk or running (during the day)

I've sort of narrowed it down to the following areas:
Uptown - north 26th, south of lake, and west of Lyndale
Loring Park area
North Loop
Mill District

Having lived in the middle of nowhere my whole life, being somewhere I am car-independent sounds great (other than commute)... I love the thought of being able to walk to restaurants, sporting events, live music, etc etc.... that is kind of why I picked the areas I did.

.... any advice?!... I appreciate it!
Old     (RideGull)      Join Date: Apr 2012       09-29-2012, 2:49 PM Reply   
In my experience, I personally wouldn't live in Loring Park. I've heard of some shady things.
I was going to move to Uptown, and if I did it would be as far west and as close to Lakestreet as possible.
Uptown near the lakes (Calhoun, Harriet) are really nice areas. But the farther east you go, the less comfortable I felt.
Old     (puckinshat)      Join Date: Sep 2003       09-29-2012, 9:30 PM Reply   
Linden Hills in where you want to be. Just south of uptown without the hipster BS.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       10-01-2012, 8:29 AM Reply   
I have a bunch of showings lined up this Friday and Saturday.... a few all over the downtown area, a few in uptown (all near the lake), and a few in St. Louis Park (near uptown).... so we'll see

I think the make/break factors will be:
How pet friendly the area is
on site gym / amenities
ease of commute
if direct TV is allowed at the complex - need NFL Sunday Ticket

one place is a craigslist post... a real estate company is leasing for an owner and it seems like a pretty sweet deal (except maybe the location - very near the metrodome, at least it is to the west)... but 2bed/2bath on the 30th floor.... looks beautiful for only $1400/mo, all bills included.... seems like a strangely good deal.
Old     (jeff_mn)      Join Date: Jul 2009       10-01-2012, 10:15 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by sidekicknicholas View Post
So it is official... I accepted a position at our corporate office in Bloomington today. So in approximately 3-4 weeks I will begin working there.

With that said, I need a place to live.... I would like to rent for 6 months to a year first to get a feel for the city / neighborhoods before buying... so here is what I've got to work with:

- Fiance and I are both in our mid 20's (24/25) and don't mind going out but also deep need college bar chaos
- We have a small dog that will need to come with us
- ~$1500/mo. for rent (less is great, more is okay if it is worth it)
- I would like to keep my commute to 25 mins or less, I will be working here - 1400 W 94th St, Bloomington, MN
- Don't want to be "in the hood"
- Fiance doesn't want to feel uncomfortable walk or running (during the day)

I've sort of narrowed it down to the following areas:
Uptown - north 26th, south of lake, and west of Lyndale
Loring Park area
North Loop
Mill District

Having lived in the middle of nowhere my whole life, being somewhere I am car-independent sounds great (other than commute)... I love the thought of being able to walk to restaurants, sporting events, live music, etc etc.... that is kind of why I picked the areas I did.

.... any advice?!... I appreciate it!
Congrats/Welcome.

Uptown - busy, popular for your age, fun (lots of food/bars), paying for location since most of the places are old (sans a few reno condos) - lots of walking accessible activities, food, drinks.. parking is a hoe - you'd want/need a place that has designated parking for as many cars as you are bringing. Downsides are that you can go a few blocks and be in a dicey (not ghetto - just dicey) areas..

Loring Park - tons of gay folks (great neighbors for the most part) but also a few dicey areas. Depending on where you actually end up (Loring is kind of weird - it spans weird small areas) you could be close or far from walking to restaurants/bars/etc. More than likely - you would be a long walk from most places (1-2m)

North Loop - I work in North Loop (washington/8th). It's a decent area - but for as "city" as it is, there isn't an abundance of bars and restaurants. I'll bet there are maybe 7-8 restaurants and as many bars that are within normal couple of blocks walking distance.. Area is nice - some nice action on the weekends but it's a lot more quiet than actually being 2 miles further south in true downtown. There are some nice rentals right behind my office (1/2 block east of Washington bewtween about 4th and 9th). The only small bummer would be if you drove to work - you have to go through downtown to get to 35w south. Not a deal breaker but something to consider.

Mill District - Probably a little better as far as walk to bars/restraurants/sites. Running trails along the river for miles (same with North Loop) where you can run comfortably 7 days a week without being worried about ghetto. Traffic to/from work would be better as you're right off 35w - would save you 5-10 minutes a day, each way compared to North Loop. It's actually a reasonable (albeit long on the way home) walk to/from the real bar districts downtown. You can get to Nicollett Mall, etc in 10-15 minutes walking time - where as you can get to the wharehouse district from North Loop in 10-15 minute walk. Unless you're big into the club/nightlift scene - the Nicollete Mall area probably has a better bar selection.

As mentioned above - Linden Hills is very nice. It's kinda trendy, less hipster douchey like Uptown but you'll sacrifice walking to almost anything. It's a residential area with a few sporafic commercials areas where the other areas you have mentioned are commercial areas with sporadic residential. Some of the things you'll want to conside are what is available for parking, getting to/from 35w for work, how close are groceries (this is a downside for North Loop - the closest grocery store is in the heart of the ghetto so you'd have to drive to grocery shop).

I'd probably go Mill District for a white preppy young business professional (making stereotypes based on what I know of you here).. Uptown is fake counter culture and a better place to drive to than live, imo. You'll get a nicer place in the Mill, still lots of close stuff and your traffic to/from 35w is non-existant since it's pretty much on it. Uptown is kind of a bitch at 5pm. Adds another 10 mins to your commute once you get off 35 getting home.
Old     (jeff_mn)      Join Date: Jul 2009       10-01-2012, 10:17 AM Reply   
Quote:
I have a bunch of showings lined up this Friday and Saturday.... a few all over the downtown area, a few in uptown (all near the lake), and a few in St. Louis Park (near uptown).... so we'll see

I think the make/break factors will be:
How pet friendly the area is
on site gym / amenities
ease of commute
if direct TV is allowed at the complex - need NFL Sunday Ticket

one place is a craigslist post... a real estate company is leasing for an owner and it seems like a pretty sweet deal (except maybe the location - very near the metrodome, at least it is to the west)... but 2bed/2bath on the 30th floor.... looks beautiful for only $1400/mo, all bills included.... seems like a strangely good deal.
If you're going to do SLP "near Uptown" you might as well just open up your search to all first ring suburbs. If you have to drive to most places (as you would in SLP) - you might as well just look at all of them.. A 2/2 west of the Dome is a nice spot for $1400. Lots of bars close - you'll have to get in the car for groceries (which isnt' bad since you'll be driving to/from work).
Old     (jeff_mn)      Join Date: Jul 2009       10-01-2012, 10:19 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by RideGull View Post
In my experience, I personally wouldn't live in Loring Park. I've heard of some shady things.
I was going to move to Uptown, and if I did it would be as far west and as close to Lakestreet as possible.
Uptown near the lakes (Calhoun, Harriet) are really nice areas. But the farther east you go, the less comfortable I felt.
LOL.. So true about going east.. Anything east of the grocery store on Lake is a total no-go.. Dicey as all get out. It's striking how close the faux ghetto of south minneapolis is to uptown. You cross 35w over towards Midtown and you're in a whole different cmomunity.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       10-01-2012, 11:54 AM Reply   
Thanks for all the input!
@Jeff- thanks for the long post, tons of good info in there!

The current showings lined up are at the following buildings:
Eitel Apts.
Symphony place (they allow direct tv which is awesome)
Blue (uptown)
The Churchill
Centre Village
.... working trying to ad a few more (at least 1 or 2 Mill district properties and another a north loop place or two).
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       10-01-2012, 11:56 AM Reply   
Quote:
white preppy young business professional
Pretty much nailed it... don't know if I agree with the "preppy" part, but I don't have very much self awareness either.

If we end up staying Sunday this weekend, anyone interested in a Vikings game? I've got a buddy who generally gets free tickets
Old     (jeff_mn)      Join Date: Jul 2009       10-02-2012, 5:36 AM Reply   
Quote:
Pretty much nailed it... don't know if I agree with the "preppy" part, but I don't have very much self awareness either.

If we end up staying Sunday this weekend, anyone interested in a Vikings game? I've got a buddy who generally gets free tickets
I'll talk to the wife and see if she works. I'm in if she's off..
Old     (dahmsy686)      Join Date: Feb 2004       10-02-2012, 1:37 PM Reply   
I work downtown as well, 1st and Hennepin, I would go with either North Loop or Mill district. Plenty of place to eat within a reasonable distance. Also, plenty of stuff to do, I run at lunch pretty much every day. Feel safe all the time and there is always plenty of people out. Like stated only thing that would suck would be having to drive out of downtown or into downtown. Churchill seems like a reasonable place and it is in the middle of both the North Loop and Mill city. Also a whole foods, i believe, is being built right on washington and hennepin. Should be open in a year i think. There is also a lunds across the hennepin bridge along with a few other good places to eat, Punch pizza and the bulldog to name a few.

Any more questions about this area post em up, been working down here for about 10 years now.
Old     (jeff_mn)      Join Date: Jul 2009       10-03-2012, 5:09 AM Reply   
All true ^^

Whole Foods is going up where the RR dealer used to be.. Lunds is across the bridge - but not a realistic walk from North Loop (but is from Mill).

I'd go Mill if you can swing it
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       10-03-2012, 6:01 AM Reply   
Based on a ****load of calls this week and work trying to moving sooner rather than later there is almost nothing open in the Mill district (that allows dogs).

I added two showings to our list
- Skyscape building (not sure on the location though)... but this place seems like a pretty sweet deal, it is a owner-leased condo so it is all utilities including basic cable and two parking spaces for $1495. So all I will need to add is ~$50 internet and I'm golden. The only hangup seems to be it is located at 929 Portland Avenue, Minneapolis, MN and the fiance' isn't convinced that it is a "safe" area... despite it being 3 blocks from something "safe". I'll never understand a woman's logic.

The other is Mill by the river but doesn't open until Dec 1, so that means I would be in an extended stay hotel for a while, which I really don't want.
Old     (jeff_mn)      Join Date: Jul 2009       10-03-2012, 7:56 AM Reply   
Could always sublet a room for 6-8 weeks for the right place. Check out CL for a sublet - maybe even a WW'er would hook you up..

929 Portland isn't too bad. As long as you are north of 94 - you're pretty safe there. There are a couple like 1 block radius areas that are a tiny touch dicey - but they are about 5 blocks southwest right where 35 dumps onto 11th.

I'd still go Mill district. If you're at 929 Portland - you have great access to the freeway but you'll have to drive for groceries and you will be more limited to restraurants. You'd have to walk 6 or so blocks northeast to get to Nicollett Mall area. Mill District everything is 1-2 blocks and the new Whole Foods is 1/2 mile and Lunds is half mile, aslo close to 35.

There is a nice extended stay hotel in Bloomington right off 494 near the MOA that would be a 5 minute commute to your office. That wouldn't be the worst option as the price includes breakfast and sometimes a light dinner and it would give you a chance to make the physical move later on.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       10-03-2012, 11:06 AM Reply   
Quote:
That wouldn't be the worst option as the price includes breakfast and sometimes a light dinner and it would give you a chance to make the physical move later on.
There is one close to 35W and 494 that would work for me... I have looked into it a bit but would rather just get it all out of the way.

Just added another showing at Mill District City Apts.... they just had one open up and parking is only $80/mo. which is cheaper than most have been.

Also found out I start for sure on the 22nd now, much sooner than expected, so odds are the move will be happening around the 19th.

@Jeff - My buddy only has two tickets for the Vikings game... I'm trying to talk my fiance out of going so I can watch at home, if I can do that, I'll get your name and have them left at will call for you - check on this thread for updates.
Old     (jeff_mn)      Join Date: Jul 2009       10-03-2012, 11:52 AM Reply   
Mill District is the way to go man.. Safer, more convenient, etc. Parking @ $80 isn't bad..

I'll send you a message
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       10-07-2012, 8:54 PM Reply   
Well, after seeing everything, we were sitting parked at the Mill District City place waiting for out 4:30 appointment to sign all the papers... did one last craigslist check on my phone and found another place that was just posted.... called assuming we couldn't get a showing with 15 minutes of heads up, but they were able to see us....

This was at 720 lofts.... we ended up going with this one. When it was all said and done it was going to be $200/mo. cheaper, was an extra 200 sq. ft, (which was 30% larger than Mill District). The other nice thing is that EVERYWHERE we looked at wouldn't allow me to move in until Nov 1st except the 720 loft unit, which will allow for a Oct. 19th move-in date (weekend before my start date).

The one nice thing here is that my fiance' has had two interviews and third scheduled at Olson, which is seriously like 3 blocks from the apartment. So if she gets the job it would be perfect, if not.... oh well.

So if anyone is planning on catching a Timberwolves game this winter, or Twins game next spring, let me know.... I'll be real close.

Thanks again for all the help!
Old     (jeff_mn)      Join Date: Jul 2009       10-09-2012, 5:41 AM Reply   
Congrats..

My office is 1 block from your place. I walk by 720 on the way to lunch regularly. I'm always up for a beer or a game. I'm on Washington and 8th. (Tractor Works building). A couple of WakeWorlders used to live at 720 - they are legit..

What is your girl looking to do? We have a few openings - I actually just hired someone last week - wish i would have known she was looking.
Old     (jeff_mn)      Join Date: Jul 2009       10-09-2012, 5:45 AM Reply   
Of note - tell your girl to NEVER run further than 2 blocks north of your place... Run directly east to the river and you can run the river for miles. If you wander any further than 2 blocks north fo your place on Washington - watch your bunghole.. You can go up to 7th and run east and hook up with the river right there. 1-2 blocks from your house and you're on the river trail system - it's legit...

You'll have quite a few places to eat/drink that are super close walking distance.. For now until Whore... Whole Foods opens - you'll have to drive for groceries. Looks like their building is about half way built now - I'm sure you saw it on the corner of Washington and Hennepin.. There is a Lunds and a Super Target both downtown. There is a Cub Foods like 1/2 mile north but you'd never want to live there.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       10-09-2012, 8:03 AM Reply   
Quote:
I'm on Washington and 8th.
That is real close... we'll have to grab a beer sometime or something. I took off Friday the 19th, so that is my move day, and I'll start work on the 22nd.... crazy how fast everything is moving.

Quote:
What is your girl looking to do? We have a few openings - I actually just hired someone last week - wish i would have known she was looking.
Her degree is like "Organizational Communications / PR" ..... from what I gather she is sort of a jack-of-all-trades master-of-none. Should could potentially work in admin, advertising, pr, community relations, HR, or corporate communications....

Her experience ranges from working in accounting departments payable/receivable type things, assistant director of non-profit organizations, and admin work for financial planning companies (Ameriprize)

If you think there is something there that might be a good fit, shoot me an email tomsyckn@gmail.com and I can forward anything to her and have her get in touch with you/whoever with a resume or something. We would both appreciate any help!

Quote:
you'll have to drive for groceries.
Since I'm doing the Bloomington drive daily I figured I can pick stuff up to/from work daily if need be... but walking distance would be nice too.
Old     (jeff_mn)      Join Date: Jul 2009       10-09-2012, 8:05 AM Reply   
Christ - she would have been a perfect fit for the job I just hired for.. Chick starts 10/22, if something happens before then I'll let you know.. I'll take a look at our open recs and see if we have anything open.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       10-09-2012, 8:17 AM Reply   
It would be a shame is something terrible happened to the person you just hired.... a terrible awful shame.....
Old     (jeff_mn)      Join Date: Jul 2009       10-09-2012, 8:20 AM Reply   
lawl. she's an internal candidate.. how awesome would that be? pull a nancy carrigan on my new employee
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       10-09-2012, 8:32 AM Reply   
Quote:
how awesome would that be? pull a nancy carrigan on my new employee
Except now it is premeditated, I think that makes it a felony.

Hopefuly the Olson job works out for my fiance - she has her second interview with like 5 people this Friday, so fingers crossed, she gets it and we don't have to worry or think about it.

.... and if she doesn't I'll just be living there alone for a while, which will do wonders for my video gaming.
Old     (jeff_mn)      Join Date: Jul 2009       10-09-2012, 9:27 AM Reply   
Quote:
Except now it is premeditated, I think that makes it a felony.

Hopefuly the Olson job works out for my fiance - she has her second interview with like 5 people this Friday, so fingers crossed, she gets it and we don't have to worry or think about it.

.... and if she doesn't I'll just be living there alone for a while, which will do wonders for my video gaming.
you're walking distance to 4 strip clubs
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       10-09-2012, 9:51 AM Reply   
Quote:
you're walking distance to 4 strip clubs
Honestly never been a big fan... I think it was because I was forever scared when I was younger.....

Let me paint you a picture with words

You work for your aunt/uncle's bar and restaurant waiting tables and driving the "drunk bus" for people on nights and weekends
Bus group of guys wants to be picked up, taken to the bar for dinner and drinks, then to the strip clubs in the area
... this area is central Wisconsin, a town of 15,000 that has three strip clubs, the talent is somehow worse than you would expect.
I drop the guys off at the first one and go to park, then planned on giving my number to the bouncer so he could call me when they were ready to leave.
I approached the to let him know the plan.... his 6'6" frame grabs me by the neck and chest and SLAMS me up against the wall and keeps yelling at me for my "F***KING ID" ..... I'm about to **** myself.
Then the whole place, including this huge bouncer, start laughing like crazy.... the bus group told him to screw with me.... har har, cue new underpants.
They let me in the club (at 16) and they guys hand me $100 in singles and say, sit at the rail, she'll do the rest.... I am uncomfortable.
The next girl comes out and she is gross.... in every way possible, she had to have given birth within the last 3-4 weeks, yuck.
She is also messed up something fierce.... makes eye contact and its on.
Moments later her stank bottom and beef curtains are hammering my face... awful.
Somehow in a instant I go from pitch black of her ******* to a ceiling view
...she has flipped me over the rail and in the same motion removed my belt and shirt, amazing- the belt had a series of metal studs (I was 16, c'mon).
The belt is then turned into a weapon.... I am beaten with this belt for the next 30+ seconds.... the chaos finally stops.
I stand up with blood pouring down my chest.... the club is silent.
One of the guys from the group says, "Holy ****, we didn't know that girl was a freak like that".... girl just smiles through the meth and booze buzz.
I look at my phone, it is 8:30pm..... lots of night to go.
I ended up being tipped very well and the scabs all eventually went away.

..... ever since, haven''t really like strip clubs.
Old     (jeff_mn)      Join Date: Jul 2009       10-09-2012, 12:58 PM Reply   
Dude.. Was a joke..

no need for

WALLOFTEXT
Old     (jeff_mn)      Join Date: Jul 2009       10-09-2012, 1:00 PM Reply   
Sounds like we're gonig to BJ's on Braodway on Friday the 19th then.

Wear your studded belt.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       10-10-2012, 5:50 AM Reply   
Quote:
Sounds like we're gonig to BJ's on Braodway on Friday the 19th then.
Is that the "good" one? I have a buddy who just happens to be flying in to Minneapolis on the 22nd and will be there for one night, he wanted to go out somewhere and this guy loooooves strip clubs.

I also remember seeing, Deja Vu (or something like it)..... we looked at a place in the "Security" lofts building.... our view was out to the ****y bar.
Old     (jeff_mn)      Join Date: Jul 2009       10-10-2012, 11:23 AM Reply   
No, BJ's is as ghetto and dumpy as it gets. But you can fall out the front door to your condo.

Deja Vu is "meh".

You'll be wanting to go to Downtown Carabret for the nicest place, Rick's and Seville in second.

Been on a lot of bachelor parties.
Old     (dahmsy686)      Join Date: Feb 2004       10-10-2012, 12:55 PM Reply   
BJ's...Drive by there and you will not want to be near!

Nice choice with 720...pretty cool place. Lots of nice reastaraunts by you.

Jeff is right dont go north if you are going to go running go south then east to the river and you will have miles of trails. Get some bikes and you can ride to pretty much anywhere.

Lots of jobs for your lady, my work has a few admin positions available as of now as well. If her interview does not pan out let me know.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       10-11-2012, 6:34 AM Reply   
Quote:
Lots of jobs for your lady, my work has a few admin positions available as of now as well. If her interview does not pan out let me know.
I'll for sure let you know, hopefully it all works out, she would really like the job and the location is money given where we will be living.

She was talking about the first interview to me, and the place spans 3 or 4 floors in the Ford Center building.... each floor they have, has a fully stocked bar, and employees are encouraged to have a drink if they would like..... how awesome is that.
Old     (jeff_mn)      Join Date: Jul 2009       10-26-2012, 9:44 AM Reply   
Sup neighbor dude.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       10-27-2012, 8:02 PM Reply   
Quote:
Sup neighbor dude.
Ahhh, not too much... finally starting to get settled a bit, the last few days have been a whirlwind between unpacking, work, and trying to get all my ducks in a row in a new city. So far my job has been good, I think it will get much better after the first few days/weeks of getting up to speed and I start getting some projects to do. The commute is pretty awesome too.... I got like 12 miles and has really only taken me about 20 mins in the mornings. I'm still trying to figure out the best way home... I take 35W north and have been just going through downtown because the exchange with 94 gets so chunked up.... I'm there there has to be some sneaky little way around it all.

My fiance did get the job at Olson, so she is on cloud 9... and with her working so close we're going to try and go down to one car. I'm running home next weekend to get her and the dog.

So far so good!
Old     (jeff_mn)      Join Date: Jul 2009       10-29-2012, 5:44 AM Reply   
You have a couple options to your place.. None of them are good at 5:30..

35w all the way past downtown to Washington. Take Washington all the way down to 6th or 7th.

35w to the "downtown exits" - take 5th up to Washintgon, then over to 6th/7th.

Best (even with the congestion) 35w to 94w to Olson Memorial. Exit and turn right on Olson/55, then your first left (at Wells Fargo). This will sneak you right into the back of your complex.

Let me know when you want to do lunch/beer/whatever.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       10-29-2012, 10:38 AM Reply   
Im game whenever.... beer is always good.

My number is 715-213-4240