Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through August 29, 2003

Old    mike_rennie            08-14-2003, 12:28 AM Reply   
I was just checking out some of the wakeboards at a website, and before I left I clicked on the section for hydrofoils.....just to check them out. I was amazed to see that one of these things was going for $4,000. I could almost put a down payment on a boat for that price. Why the hell are these things so expensive. The sport doesn't even look all that exciting?

(Message edited by Mike_Rennie on August 14, 2003)
Old    mike_rennie            08-14-2003, 12:35 AM Reply   
This is the one that's $4,000
$4,000..........are you ------- serious!!!
Old     (magic)      Join Date: Mar 2002       08-14-2003, 5:07 AM Reply   
sdf
asd

Kinda looks like fun to me
Old     (vortech347)      Join Date: Aug 2000       08-14-2003, 5:46 AM Reply   
My podiatrist is a skier. He has a friend who rides an air chair. He has ridden it and said the advantages were that you could ride in just about any water condition and don't need a wake to get big air. Also, because it has much less impact on your body you can do tricks even at older ages.

Wakeboarding is a young people's sport due to the impacts.
Old     (phaeton)      Join Date: Feb 2002       08-14-2003, 6:56 AM Reply   
Trust me crashing on a Hydrofoil can hurt just as bad if not worst than Wakeboarding.

The less expensive foils are made from Cast aluminum. The $4000.00 one is machined from Billet aluminum. Saving my money as we speak.

www.Wake-Me.com
Old     (jaegermaster)      Join Date: Sep 2002       08-14-2003, 7:45 AM Reply   
I feel the dark side increasing it's power. I'm.....Getting......very.....sleepy.......
Old     (phaeton)      Join Date: Feb 2002       08-14-2003, 12:27 PM Reply   
Jae G Master soon it will be upon you.

FYI Mike tore his ACL at Shasta. Looks like the Darkside has grabbed another.

www.Wake-Me.com
Old     (jaegermaster)      Join Date: Sep 2002       08-14-2003, 12:47 PM Reply   
Trav, I am posting this next statement so I will be forced to stick to it.

I will have a taste of the Darkside at MWWF 03.

There, I said I would do it and I will.

Old     (seattle)      Join Date: Mar 2002       08-14-2003, 12:57 PM Reply   
Run Away JMaster!!!

There is no need to even discuss such a horrid fate for anyone so young as you.

The dark side is crafty sure, but they are very slow, and tend to be distracted easily when offered alcohol.
Old     (jaegermaster)      Join Date: Sep 2002       08-14-2003, 4:48 PM Reply   
But the Darkside is so strong. How ever can I resist it's pull?
Old     (phaeton)      Join Date: Feb 2002       08-14-2003, 5:28 PM Reply   
Cliff you can run but you can't hide.

Jae G Master glad to hear it. Warning this may cost you. haha

www.Wake-Me.com
Old    wakeboard_iraq            08-15-2003, 10:54 AM Reply   
Mike,

I have one of those and ride it when the water starts to get too choppy to ride a wakeboard. It is a lot of fun although hard to learn to get up. When learning how to jump you will have the worst impacts you have ever experienced in your life (wear a jock strap - haha - seriously) but once you get it down its super easy on the body.

Try it.

Jim
Old     (noti_dad)      Join Date: Jul 2003       08-15-2003, 11:03 AM Reply   
Tried a friends, but the force was too strong in this one. I didn't see the fun or justification for the cost (even though I can ride his for free). Maybe I have too many toys/interests already.
Old    wakeboard_iraq            08-15-2003, 11:33 AM Reply   
What do you mean by the force. If you are talking about coming out of the hole there is a trick - place the handle firmly on your thighs and the force is transferred back to the sky ski. Once you are up there is no pull from the rope at all - you can literally hang on with one finger. It is hard to learn but once you get up its pretty easy. I was forced into it b/c the Colorado river gets too rough to ride a wakeboard at about 8:30am and sitting in the house while on vacation was not an option for me (although my wife would probably enjoy that).
Old    swpmwinc            08-15-2003, 12:35 PM Reply   
Jim What noti dad is trying to say is that he has a strong "force of resistance" to the Darkside as mentioned is earlier posts
Old    wakeboard_iraq            08-15-2003, 12:47 PM Reply   
I guess I outside of the loop on that one. New here and all. Darkside as in Wakeboarding?
Old     (seattle)      Join Date: Mar 2002       08-15-2003, 1:02 PM Reply   
No Jim,

The "Dark Side" refers to foiling. We kid the foil riders about how they have been swayed to the dark side, and willingly given up there wake boards for Sky Skis.

Some day when my knees are destroyed from boarding I to will be swayed by the "Force", it's inevitable.
Old    wakeboard_iraq            08-15-2003, 1:13 PM Reply   
Haha - I guess I just didnt get it. Well, I certainly dont give up my wakeboarding time for foiling but it is a necessity if you want to continue to play on the water after 8:30am where I go.
Old    swpmwinc            08-15-2003, 1:14 PM Reply   
Jim kind of an inside joke but we will have no problem including you new guy and all.
Old    swpmwinc            08-15-2003, 1:18 PM Reply   
Jim by the way HUGE PROPS to you and all armed forces men and women Thanks for keeping us safe!!!!
P.S if you ever get to NOR-CAL give me a call I will hook you up with a pull anytime
Old     (phaeton)      Join Date: Feb 2002       08-15-2003, 1:22 PM Reply   
Cliff why wait? Once you switch to the Dark side you will wish you did a long time ago.

www.Wake-Me.com
Old    wakeboard_iraq            08-15-2003, 1:23 PM Reply   
Thanks a lot. That place sucked! Glad to finally be home. If I find myself in Nor-Cal I will give you a call.
I looked at your profile - nice ride you have there (both) and your quote gave me quite a laugh.
Old     (colorider)      Join Date: Jun 2001       08-15-2003, 5:15 PM Reply   
Hey guys. For the first time we had a foiler in our boat today. He is a friend of one of our regular gang. All I can say is that it was simply amazing. I was just dumbfounded watching him do the flips and tricks. I will post a vid in the next few days. It was the first time I had seen a foiler in person that could do more then just sit and cruise the lake. Here is one to ponder. SWASS tried it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Maybe next year he will be on the "dark side" !! Props to all of you who foil. Very cool sport. I never know how graceful it was till I saw it in person.