Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (dxxcel)      Join Date: May 2010       05-28-2010, 6:55 AM Reply   
When trying some more advanced tips is there a "safer" way to crash into the water?

Tucked up? stretched out?

Try to break the plane of the water hands first? or board first?

Any tips/comments would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Old     (boarderpat)      Join Date: Jul 2009       05-28-2010, 7:00 AM Reply   
careful with tucking up...I did that a few weeks ago, over estimated my rotation and actually landed back on my board...result was my face argued with my knee, promptly lost and I have a broken nose in 2 places...season over until september for me...doctor's orders
Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       05-28-2010, 7:02 AM Reply   
Well, normally if you're crashing you don't have much of a chance to prepare for it. If you do see it coming, I think tucking up a bit is best. Basically, try to keep from catching an edge and the crashing won't be nearly as bad.
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       05-28-2010, 7:10 AM Reply   
If you're coming out of your bindings, tuck and roll always making sure your legs follow your body so you don't get a knee to the face. Staying in bindings, I try to make the life jacket take the blow, or any part before the board does. Learning to fall is a needed thing, and takes a long time to do, as well as is impossible to explain
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       05-28-2010, 7:12 AM Reply   
safest way is not to crash but we all know if you are trying something new you'll probably crash ! i would say get your chin to your chest and keep your arms close to you body. anything more than that and you will probably break or hurt something from trying to prepare too much and too quickly!hope this helps.
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       05-28-2010, 7:16 AM Reply   
I say just take the crash!!! Whatever you do DON'T anticipate crashing that is the worst thing you can do. You have to anticipate landing. (Best advice I have ever gotten, and it came from a non-wakeboarder observer in the boat) You have to go out with the mindset that your going to land every trick every time, unless something goes crazy wrong off the wake and you know your done right away.
Old     (bmartin)      Join Date: Jan 2007       05-28-2010, 7:19 AM Reply   
Spot your landings. That will be the best way to prevent crashes and if you are going to crash will give you a brief moment to prepare and put the shock absorbers on and get your body in a less impactful position.
Old     (petrey10)      Join Date: Apr 2010       05-28-2010, 7:51 AM Reply   
I try to land board butt then back... going backwards is better than landing forwards... also don't try to be a tough guy and hold on to the handle... if you crash let go!! Had a girl blow her knee out trying to save herself.... bad idea!!
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       05-28-2010, 10:45 AM Reply   
Yeah sometimes its best to just fall and not try and ride out. I wouldn't worry about breaking the plane of the water in a particular manner, you are going to fall on your head, back, face, toes, ears etc etc. I will saw trying to stay compact is a good thing but not to the point where you are tucking in a ball. I will say keep your arms into your sides, I learned that the hard way and separated my shoulder once.

Also agree with Andy, visualize success and go for it. It's all about muscle memory and it starts with seeing the success beforehand.
Old     (norcalbordr)      Join Date: Feb 2006       05-28-2010, 11:00 AM Reply   
safest way to crash in the water is with your tray table fastened and you wrap your hands around the back of your head as you put your head between you knees when the pilot says "brace for impact". It helps to have a skilled pilot like Sully though as well.

Oh wait, I misread the question...
Old    benj_t            05-28-2010, 5:09 PM Reply   
I would never stretch out on my falls, and NEVER tense up your body especially if its on a really big trick. Just keep loose and stay low
Old     (texastbird)      Join Date: May 2003       05-29-2010, 8:27 AM Reply   
Knees bent when you crash. Stiff knees on crash = trouble
Old     (benjaminp)      Join Date: Nov 2008       05-29-2010, 9:03 PM Reply   
I never thought I had to tell my riders to let go when they fall until the start of this year, a few beginners seemed to think it was a good idea to be force fed lake water for a few seconds before letting go. Pretty much just shut your eyes and mouth, and relax.
Old     (goldilocks)      Join Date: Mar 2008       05-30-2010, 6:13 AM Reply   
When I KNOW that I'm gonna fall and I think it's gonna hurt, I tuck into a ball AND somehow manage to plug my nose! LOL
Old     (nicvtx1994)      Join Date: Sep 2009       05-30-2010, 4:05 PM Reply   
^ haha how do you manage that,

its funny when you see people at cable who have never wakeboared before and fall and hold on for the entire lap, it is very entertaining haha
Old     (goldilocks)      Join Date: Mar 2008       05-30-2010, 9:35 PM Reply   
lol, not sure how I manage that! The other riders make fun of me for it.
Old     (chilidog)      Join Date: Dec 2007       05-31-2010, 7:53 PM Reply   
my wife holds her nose every time she crashes too. We know its really bad if she doesn't get it done, always good for a laugh. We always would say, "if you have time to hold your nose you have time to save it!!"

When I crash I always try and bring my arms in and hold them secure to my body, I have a shoulder that likes to pop out if my arms are flailing, pretty much let my legs do whatever, and if I catch a front edge I try and rotate my upper body and have my elbow break the plane of the water instead of my face, that works sometimes, just a habit now. I have never done any big tricks though so may not apply
Old     (kstateskier)      Join Date: May 2002       05-31-2010, 8:22 PM Reply   
Agree on letting go when hitting the water, but I do prefer to have control of the handle as long as possible. In ski jumping they teach you to hold on until you hit the water to help you maintain control. I also like knowing where the handle is so I don't land in it. I had a friend almost die in a jumping crash where her head went through the handle, so I guess I'm a little cautious in this area. I agree with A-Dub, it's a skill that takes a lot of practice to get down!