Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through March 15, 2005

Old     (surfnfury65)      Join Date: Aug 2004       01-29-2005, 9:01 AM Reply   
I work with a couple guys who claim their "Kayaks" are "BOATS." How many of you consider this to be a true statement?
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       01-29-2005, 9:38 AM Reply   
From dictionary.com

Boat:
- A relatively small, usually open craft of a size that might be carried aboard a ship.
- An inland vessel of any size.
- A ship or submarine.

sounds like a boat to me. Technically you could probably call a floating beer bottle a boat ...
Old     (kybool)      Join Date: Aug 2004       01-29-2005, 9:39 AM Reply   
last I checked you sit in it and it floats. A kayak may not be a "power boat" but they are definitely boats.
Old    murrayair            01-29-2005, 10:44 PM Reply   
If they call their kayaks boats, just start calling your boat a ship, lol.
Old     (salmon_tacos)      Join Date: Jan 2003       01-30-2005, 12:18 AM Reply   
mark d,

The problem with that is that a kayak actually is a boat, whereas a wakeboard boat is certainly not a ship.

KAYAK:
1. An Inuit or Eskimo boat consisting of a light wooden frame covered with watertight skins except for a single or double opening in the center, and propelled by a double-bladed paddle.
2. A lightweight canoe that is similar in design.

CANOE:
A light, open, slender boat that has pointed ends and is propelled by paddles.

SHIP:
1. A vessel of considerable size for deep-water navigation.
2. A sailing vessel having three or more square-rigged masts.

Mikeski,

I would agree with your post except for the beer bottle thing. I'd say to qualify as a vessel (nautical term) or craft, it would have to carry at least one person.
Old    murrayair            01-30-2005, 10:57 PM Reply   
Well, the term "considerable size" is certainly open to interpertation. As for the three masts...would three high polls work? lol
Old     (salmon_tacos)      Join Date: Jan 2003       01-31-2005, 12:00 AM Reply   
considerable: "Large in amount, extent, or degree"

I certainly wouldn't call a wakeboard boat a large vessel. Consider the sizes of these vessels:

Oil Tanker (large extreme): 1500 x 250 x 200 = 75 million cubic feet

Wakeboard boat: 20 x 8 x 4 = 640 cubic feet

Kayak (small extreme): 6 x 3 x 2 = 36 cubic feet

So the wakeboard boat would be at about the .00085th percentile when it comes to vessel size.
Old     (whit)      Join Date: Feb 2001       01-31-2005, 2:47 AM Reply   
What is scary are the number of people that either don't know or don't care about right of way.