Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through May 29, 2009

Old     (jonyb)      Join Date: Nov 2008       05-16-2009, 10:19 PM Reply   
I have a customer that has requested an alarm for his boat. It's a fishing boat and he's been ripped off twice in his driveway. I'm considering this for my boat also. I sell Clifford and Avital at my shop, so that's covered, but the traditional proximity sensors suck... I searched a little on Google and found a few canvas sensors, but nowhere to order them.

Has anyone done anything like this?
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       05-16-2009, 10:40 PM Reply   
John I had a DEI alarm on my last boat. It had the proximity sensor and shock sensor. Worked great for me, you couldn't get close enough to the boat to touch the cover let alone get into the boat. This is what I wanted, someone else might just want the alarm to go off if someone opens the cover. I didn't do any pin switches on the hatches or anything.

If your customer keeps getting ripped off in his driveway you'd think he'd want a proximity sensor.

(Message edited by 05mobiuslsv on May 16, 2009)
Old     (jonyb)      Join Date: Nov 2008       05-16-2009, 10:47 PM Reply   
He didn't say the proximity wasn't an option, I just haven't liked them very well over the years. I may experiment with that on my boat. The shock sensor would be okay but would probably false too much on a dock if the water's rough.
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       05-16-2009, 10:49 PM Reply   
Yes in the water probably wouldn't be a good option. I never used mine on the water though.
Old     (jonyb)      Join Date: Nov 2008       05-16-2009, 11:04 PM Reply   
Maybe I'll just try that out on mine. I've got a couple proximity sensors in the shop.
Old     (taft)      Join Date: Jul 2006       05-17-2009, 12:19 AM Reply   
If you want an innovative solution that will allow you to not have to worry about your boat, look into GPS tracking devices.

You can hide a discrete device in the boat in a compartment. All you need to do is set up boundaries, done through the bundled/on-line software, and sit back. If the boat is ever moved outside of the boundary, you will be notified and can report the exact location to the police.

There are a number of options out there, some where you need to pay a monthly fee so you can track in real-time, or others that simply allow you to request a certain number of locations per month. Either way, you're looking at about a $500-1000 system that will stop you from ever worrying about losing your boat.

While it may not make sense financially for a fishing boat, i've been considering this for my family's wakeboard boat.

(Message edited by taft on May 17, 2009)
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       05-17-2009, 12:26 AM Reply   
Seems like that wouldn't do much for the more typical stereo theft. Stealing the whole boat might be more than the average pinhead can pull off. And insurance covers it in that case.
Old     (jonyb)      Join Date: Nov 2008       05-17-2009, 1:13 AM Reply   
Not worried about the boat being stolen. If someone wants it, that's what insurance is for.

Extra stereo equipment, fishing equipment, and vandals are what I'm worried about.
Old     (brett564)      Join Date: Jul 2006       05-17-2009, 2:12 AM Reply   
Nu Bu, is there a problem with the proximity sensor when it comes to random people walking by on the sidewalk, or newspaper guys throwing papers to close to the boat?
Old     (brett564)      Join Date: Jul 2006       05-17-2009, 2:12 AM Reply   
And also, where are the proximity sensors located?
Old     (jonyb)      Join Date: Nov 2008       05-17-2009, 3:13 AM Reply   
Most proximity sensors mount under the dash. That's why I don't think they work too well
Old     (mattscraft)      Join Date: May 2009       05-17-2009, 5:25 AM Reply   
Check out http://www.boatalarm.com/

Deck and hatch sensors work great!
Old     (phenom_1819)      Join Date: Jan 2008       05-17-2009, 6:13 AM Reply   
I have a two-way alarm with pin switches and a proximity sensor on my boat. No shock sensor. The proximity sensor is on a switch so that I can turn it on and off, depending on if it's in the water (off), on the lift (off), or on the trailer (on!). The stereo compartment has a pin switch on it, which is the only thing that's on all the time. The whole system actually works pretty well. Necessary? Maybe not... but good for piece of mind.
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       05-17-2009, 9:27 AM Reply   
Boo Coo the alarm would chirp at people if they got to close to the boat, it would only go off if they didn't get outside the perimeter I had it set at within about 5 seconds. It worked great for what I had installed it to do. I wanted people to know there was an alarm and to stay the f$%# away from my $#it.

Nothing pisses me off more than pulling into a parking lot with the boat in tow and then coming out to some moron half way inside your boat checking it out. You walk up and say what the f are you doing, he says nice boat man what kind is it.

Never happened again after the alarm, I have seen people walk up to it and it chirps and they quickly turn around and walk the other way. The look on their face is priceless. It's like they can't believe there is an alarm on a boat.

Later time to hit the lake.
Old     (david_e_m)      Join Date: Jul 2008       05-18-2009, 9:16 AM Reply   
John,

For a prox sensor to work reliably you mount it upside down in the top of the dash then minimize the field so the bubble protects primarily the helm (whichever side the source and amplifiers are on). Weather conditions (wind, cover movement, temperature extremes, etc.) will have too great of an effect for the prox sensor to protect the boat's entire perimeter. Also use a bypass switch on the prox sensor trigger in case of a nearby microwave oven or other disturbance.

Get a wire sewn into the cover and add disconnects at both sides. The DEI closed loop sensor is ideal for this.

Use pin switches, roller ball or magnetic reed switches on doors, hatches and gullwing seats.

Tie in flashing lights (not halogens, too much draw) so that it's easy for potential witnesses to localize the source.

It's a good idea to have a backup battery/isolation & charger module plus a standard AC battery charger. Otherwise, after several weeks your battery is dead and you are without an alarm. This gives you protection for several weeks past the time someone unplugs the AC cord.

Use at least one LED status indicator outside the cover as a deterrent.

A floor pad sensor provides extra insurance in case they cut through the cover instead of removing it.

Pulse the factory horn in duplication of the alarm siren.

Add several mini piezo sirens to the interior. They don't carry long distance but the short range intensity will unravel a thief and make it impossible to hear what is around them.

It's very difficult and expensive to harden a soft target like a towboat but the above measures will send would-be thieves on to an easier target.

David
Earmark Marine
Old     (chuckc983)      Join Date: Sep 2008       05-18-2009, 11:54 AM Reply   
If the issue is the boat being robbed in the drive way - I would probably just install a motion sensing light or Camera - you could trigger the light to come on inside your house to alert you or have it make noise. I like camera - they are so cheap now and work really well - this way you at least have a chance to catch the bastard. Logitech makes a video camera that can be triggered by motion - all you have to do is plug it into an outlet - and it will record activity to a computer in the house (no additional wiring needed).
Old     (jonyb)      Join Date: Nov 2008       05-20-2009, 7:45 AM Reply   
Thanks for the reply David....

I guess I'm gonna install the Clifford 3.3X alarm, remote start with 2-way remotes. I am gonna hook up the remote start, but the Clifford's have a toggle that's required to enable the start feature so it won't be started while not in the water. I'll try out the proximity sensor, use the shock sensor it comes with, and then try to find a sensor for the cover. 3 pin switches on the rear hatches will cover the storage and engine compartments. The locks on those handles are completely worthless. I can turn mine to the lock position and still open up the hatch. The latch isn't long enough to hold it in a bind. I'll use the nav/anchor lights on the parking light flash circuit, OEM horn, and add an interior siren. I'll also add a back-up battery for power. Channel 1 will turn the stereo on/off. For LED's, I may run one up through the tower. Not really sure if I wanna do that because I've got a bunch of wires up there now and it's gonna be real hard to add more. I think for the sensors that'll be enough...

For the customer's boat, I may just do the cover sensor and proximity.

Thanks for the replies fellas!
Old     (echo_parker)      Join Date: Feb 2008       05-21-2009, 10:44 AM Reply   
I used a product called RSI. it is a video verification system. it is completely wireless, runs off batteries. It only turns on when it detects motion. So the brain is in the boat as well as motion sensors.
When the cameras detect motion, it sends a 10 second video clip to your phone or computer within 20 seconds.It will send you an alert via text or email that there was an activation. we also have sensors under the carpet saver. When someone steps inside of the boat, the sensors trigger the siren and the cameras give me a clip of what is going on. You can view the images from anywhere in the world.
Old     (fullspeed)      Join Date: Oct 2005 Location: Santa Cruz County CA       05-21-2009, 3:38 PM Reply   
Anthony first off your boat looks sweet. Second how much is this alarm system. It sounds pricey.
Old     (fullspeed)      Join Date: Oct 2005 Location: Santa Cruz County CA       05-21-2009, 9:31 PM Reply   
I came across this site. Not sure if any of this is worth looking at.
http://www.columbiaboatalarms.com/
They have prices with different options to look at.
Old     (echo_parker)      Join Date: Feb 2008       05-22-2009, 2:56 PM Reply   
Brannon thanks man, the one video verification is tied into the alarm system. It is actually 2 seperate systems. I am not always home to hear a siren so I used a video verification. Like I said, I get video clips when there is motion. I also pay a monitoring station to dispatch on any abnormal activity. When there is motion, I get the clip as well as the monitoring station, they call me within 1 minute, I give them the ok to dispatch the police department.
The Video system cost me about $1000.00 the alarm is around $500.00 and the monitoring runs me around $25.00 a month.
The boat and stereo are fully insured however I feel good knowing the boat is secure.
I had my boat tied to a moaring one night in front of my house at the river. Some kids decided they were going sit on the back hatch and smoke cigarettes. I got a short clip of them and ran outside and scared the $#&t out of them. That has been the only time I have had the system tested.
Old     (kitewake)      Join Date: Jul 2007       05-29-2009, 1:42 AM Reply   
2nd for BoatAlarm.com (Flagship Marine Security). Don't mess with a motion sensor, or a car alarm adapted to a boat. Get a boat alarm. Mine has been bulletproof...and NO FALSE ALARMS. I know it works because I ALWAYS step into my boat and forget about it...then scare the crap out of myself as soon as I step on the floor...or open a hatch.