Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (Grizz)      Join Date: Jul 2017       08-19-2017, 8:20 AM Reply   
Can I put my Skurfer Mako 5'0" in our clamp down wakeboard rack while going out or coming back for the day or will this damage the board? I tried to "clamp" it down on my hand to see how much force was put on it and was surprised that it was not as much as I thought.

Our boat has 2 racks, I'm told one is for wakeboards and the other is for skis.
Old     (Chaos)      Join Date: Apr 2010       08-19-2017, 10:14 AM Reply   
I wouldn't. It is not the clamp force, but where racks hit boards. The do not support board properly bouncing down the lake. Fingers are way to short.
You will dent a board like the first time out.

Nick
Old     (Grizz)      Join Date: Jul 2017       08-19-2017, 1:46 PM Reply   
Thanks for the reply!!!! So Is there an aftermarket way to "extend" the fingers without having to replace the entire rack?
Old     (infinitysurf)      Join Date: Apr 2017       08-19-2017, 9:26 PM Reply   
Not that I know of but if your opening is big enough, maybe PVC wrapped in foam (like foam the insulates plumbing lines)....its an idea anyway but your space is probably not wide enough on racks, know mine are not....
What you should do is get 1 or 2 of Corson Pipers racks, they are made to hold custom boards. I put 2 mounted under my tower...I can still walk under the boards without hitting my head (You can also mount above tower or maybe even on side, have seen it done many different ways). its the best way I have seen to carry and not damage custom boards. You can email him at Corsonpiper@gmail.com. Think cost is 280 for one or 480 for 2...then you buy the pads and mounts. Don't have a pic right now but could get you one next week, tho if you google his name you will likely find pics. Know other WW members have bought them as well as people on other forums. Holds the boards differently so they cannot be damaged
Old     (Chaos)      Join Date: Apr 2010       08-20-2017, 6:51 AM Reply   
Just what infinitysurf says, I know a few people that have put a pvc sleeves on the rack and then used insulation foam or foam noodles. Obviously you need really wide openings. Most people end up grinding the fingers down to make them thinner to make it all fit, Seems like a shame on nice clamping style racks. I would go with under the bimini or on top of the bimini racks, but you will need a board bag to keep the board cool and protected. This gets your 'good' boards out of the way and you can use the racks for molded boards. Also, every year I get dozens of ding repairs just because people forgot to put their racks in when docking their boat.

I have lots of friends with racks that go over the bimini, they clamp/strap the board bag to the racks, and just slide boards in and out of the bags. Works great.

Nick
Old     (Grizz)      Join Date: Jul 2017       08-20-2017, 9:35 AM Reply   
Thanks for all the advice, I really appreciate it. I guess I'll have to go with a under mount Bimini rack then. It's really to bad as my board slides between the fingers of the "clamping" rack I have now with no effort. The fingers are spaced between the foam grip pads and extend to 1/2 of the width of the board.
Old     (Chaos)      Join Date: Apr 2010       08-20-2017, 1:09 PM Reply   
You can try adding more padding to the fingers. The thin eva grip they have on top is not really sufficient. I think if you add some pipe insulation that make help with damage.