Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (ixfe)      Join Date: Aug 2008       10-24-2012, 1:01 AM Reply   
I ran across this video made by my dealer, Active Water Sports... they've been pretty active getting out on demos with their new Surf Gate boats.

I'm no expert (see 1:55 for proof), but the wave on the 23 LSV looks pretty sick...

from Gerry Oppliger on Vimeo.

Old     (dougr)      Join Date: Dec 2009       10-24-2012, 4:17 AM Reply   
i think this is going to keep getting better and other companies will start developing more as well. i also think bu will find a way to get the swim platform up and out of the wave and keep from pushing it flat. I was on a 2013 lsv and really liked the concept, but the wave was somewhat flat. good stuff
Old     (ixfe)      Join Date: Aug 2008       10-24-2012, 11:02 PM Reply   
I'm probably not the best person to be judging a surf wave... but I don't understand how this is "somewhat flat"

Old     (gti2lo)      Join Date: Nov 2005       10-25-2012, 1:57 PM Reply   
Impressive wake on the 23 lsv
Old     (tonyv420)      Join Date: Jul 2007       10-25-2012, 2:22 PM Reply   
Doesn't look flat, but the lip looks a bit washy, looks like it has good push tho, I would like to Demo it! maybe my boys at AWS can take me out sometime?? Greg? Gerry? LOL
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       10-25-2012, 2:56 PM Reply   
I think the wave just looks "different" not worse or better. I don't think it will ever beat a heavily weighted surf boat, but I don't think thats the idea. The idea is to evenly weight a boat and produce a good to great surf wave. At least that's my take.
Old     (gtoaws)      Join Date: Jul 2008       10-30-2012, 2:55 PM Reply   
Tony, when do you want to come down and take her for a ride?
Old     (ragboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       10-30-2012, 5:40 PM Reply   
I watched that video, and also looking at that picture, that boat looks either slammed or listed. Look at the hole and the way the water comes from the front around the boat. Compare that to the way the wave looks when they do the side to side switch. I would love to see a test session, where several tests were done:

1. Set the boat up for wake boarding not stock, but like we would call weekend warrior. More than stock, but not nuts, something most people would be comfortable doing every day. Video and pics of wakeboarding to confirm great wakeboard wake.
2. Turn on surfgate with that exact setup in number 1. What is wake like on both sides. I think this test is important because the device is being marketed that you setup for WB and then go right to surf on either side and back to WB if needed. If both sides have a clean face and lip and good shape and plenty of push, enough for bigger guys, then I would definitely be extremely impressed, that would be cool.
3. Experiment with weight, probably more in the back or less in the front, but with NO list, equal on both sides. What setup makes the best surf wake with no list. Is there a setup with more weight in the rear that is better than WB setup? I am assuming that a ratio of more weight in rear vs front would be better for surf, maybe not. How much better if it is better?
4. List the same boat with surf gate with surf gate employed, various degrees of list.
5. List the boat and weight traditionally without surf gate employed.

That would be a great test and fun to see how it would work IMHO. Just watching some of the videos like above I see a great looking wake (nicer shape, face, and clean lip) with surf gate in one part of the video, then in some part of the video they do a side to side switch and during the switch part of the video the wake is not the same. It seems washed and definitely doesn't look as good as before.

Hope that all makes sense.

Last edited by ragboy; 10-30-2012 at 5:43 PM. Reason: clarity
Old     (tonyv420)      Join Date: Jul 2007       10-30-2012, 6:55 PM Reply   
Gerry, as soon as this darn rain stops! I would love to come take a ride with you guys and test it out. Looks like it’s gonna be raining for days! At least were getting snow in the mtns!
Old     (surfdoggy)      Join Date: Dec 2009       10-31-2012, 8:18 AM Reply   
Ragboy: I can answer a couple of questions based on my manual homemade surf fin. First, with the boat weighted perfectly evenly, and the fin deployed, the boat still tips a little toward to rider's side once you get up to speed - this appears to happen because the fin on the opposite side is angled down to match the hull angle, so it pushes out and down against the wake on that side. Second, on both the surfgate boat and the manual fin on my boat, the surf wake takes about 3-4 seconds longer to form up than it does when I just lean and slam my boat - although it forms faster if you turn toward the rider when pulling up. Not sure why. Third, I weight my boat with two 1100 lb sacks in the rear locker when I use the manual fin. The first time I timed switching sides for surfing manually, it took 57 seconds to move the gate to the other side. Pulling the fin for wakeboarding takes only a few seconds, but we always sit around and drain an equal amount of water out of each of the 1100's to get the wakeboard wake down to a little friendlier size.
Old     (ragboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       11-01-2012, 5:30 AM Reply   
Good to know, I am sure you are having a blast experimenting. ;-)