Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through June 30, 2008

Old     (adrenalindustries)      Join Date: Jun 2008       06-09-2008, 10:03 AM Reply   
Power Turns are horrible out here! I can understand with tubers just cause when they crash... kids are every were! But when it's wakeboarding or skiing... no need for it. Save your gas and give your rider a time to rest and slowly go get him.
Old     (joshugan)      Join Date: Apr 2005       06-09-2008, 1:34 PM Reply   
I hear you! I think we need to make flyers. It blows my mind especially when some of the riders on the boat are pretty decent.

Hey were you guys out filming on Saguaro a while back? My buddies mentioned someone filming an Epic from a Malibu.
Old     (turbonine)      Join Date: Oct 2005       06-09-2008, 5:40 PM Reply   
Which brand do you think powerturns the most in the Phoenix area?

At Bartlett...hands down Tiges.
Old     (stevev210)      Join Date: Feb 2005       06-09-2008, 6:19 PM Reply   
At Saguaro.....hands down Tiges.
Old     (ezychz)      Join Date: Oct 2005       06-11-2008, 11:25 AM Reply   
It blows my mind how many toolbags powerturn at Saguaro! We were out this Monday and 2/3 of the wakeboard boats out there were either powerturning consistently or pulling tubers. The water would have been fairly good, but you can't escape the rollers. I don't think people understand how turning around quickly one time can screw up the water for everyone else. We used to have a bullhorn and we would let people know about it and everytime we are out, it seems that we get in a discussion about the best way to let people know that their is proper ettiquette on the water and everyone benefits if most stick to it, but it seems like their is no real solution. We used to post up pictures on another site, that we titled, "CAUGHT". We have talked about flyers or just talking to people, but never come up with a good solution.

Justin, it was good to meet you guys on monday and hopefully we will get out and ride together soon. I will bring the bowling pins...................
Old     (adrenalindustries)      Join Date: Jun 2008       06-11-2008, 11:28 AM Reply   
Josh B,
yes we were! we were filming out demo video for our website. I am so excited! What boat was your friend on?
M.Lahm,
haha! you guys are awesome. We went out yesterday and you weren't there what happened? but we are going out thursday! make sure you come.
Old     (adrenalindustries)      Join Date: Jun 2008       06-11-2008, 11:31 AM Reply   
Saguaro is the worst... i am so down with making flyer's... or we should just make a huge sign and put it up on the dock! you think nobody would do it cause of how much gas is! if everyone would stop power turning... they would save like half a tank a trip! ok that might not be true.. but still.
Old     (joshugan)      Join Date: Apr 2005       06-11-2008, 11:51 AM Reply   
Justin, I have a grey and red 88 Ski Nautique 2001 that my buddies were using. I'm studying for the bar so my friends are kind enough to keep using my boat for me. ;)

They were talking about someone absolutely throwing down with 700s and mobes, maybe even a 9. I'm guessing it was Ben?

I might be out on Thursday in the late afternoon. Hopefully I'll see you guys out there and we can run a powerturn patrol.
Old     (ezychz)      Join Date: Oct 2005       06-11-2008, 11:52 AM Reply   
I think Sean is taking the boat in on Thurs., so if he does that, then maybe we could hop on with you guys? We will bring gas, beverages or whatever. Either Sean or I will get your number from hannah and we will hit you up before thurs......
Old     (w00taz)      Join Date: Jun 2007       06-11-2008, 11:53 AM Reply   
pleasant tiges too
Old     (ezychz)      Join Date: Oct 2005       06-11-2008, 11:53 AM Reply   
Bullhorns all around! Nuff said........
Old     (adrenalindustries)      Join Date: Jun 2008       06-11-2008, 11:54 AM Reply   
Ya from what i understand you are all coming on our boat
Old     (ezychz)      Join Date: Oct 2005       06-11-2008, 12:18 PM Reply   
Sounds good! We will be in touch.
Thanks
Old     (mike_gilbert)      Join Date: Sep 2004       06-11-2008, 1:02 PM Reply   
at bartlett my vote is for MCs the most powerturns
Old     (02ssv)      Join Date: Aug 2007       06-11-2008, 1:05 PM Reply   
I know it's not AZ but there is a Black Yamaha boat with a tower on Lake Tarpon that is always out and always powerturning. Not to mention they have a jet ski following the riders jumping the wake in an S formation all the way down the only calm water.

Get a clue buddy.

(Message edited by 02ssv on June 11, 2008)
Old     (ezychz)      Join Date: Oct 2005       06-18-2008, 7:23 AM Reply   
Sorry, it is not just Mesa, it is Arizona. Effin numbskulls have no clue. Same story at Bartlett last week and then again at Pleasant yesterday. I am about ready to throw in the towel or maybe just start throwing rocks.
Old     (sjohnson)      Join Date: May 2007       06-18-2008, 8:50 AM Reply   
Maybe Century Marine or someone would sponsor a banner that could be hung on the end of the dock on that metal thing @ saguaro. It could have a definition, and explanation of do's and donts and a pictorial of waves vs no waves when a boat turns around.

I'm sure there would be some asshat that would write FU on it or rip it down though.

Seems like a great revenue opportunity for the water police if it were illegal.

Blow horns sound good too...maybe word would spread if all of us started blastin @ PTer's.
Old     (adrenalindustries)      Join Date: Jun 2008       06-18-2008, 9:03 AM Reply   
I think that is a great idea! I as at the lake yesterday and the water was horrible... the wind was blowing and it just sucked. At saguaro there is one spot you can kind of get out of the wind and it is in the very back. Water was looking ok and then here comes a brand new malibu and the rider crashes and then a huge power turn... did it three times down the end of the lake...
Scott lets start the new horn idea... go buy a air horn and every time you see a power turn... you blow that sucker! The trend will start and everyone will know what the horn means!!! I will tell all my buddy's with boats!
Old     (yorwakebordfrend)      Join Date: Aug 2006       06-18-2008, 9:13 AM Reply   
justin whats up with this weekend what lake is everyone going to
Old     (adrenalindustries)      Join Date: Jun 2008       06-18-2008, 9:24 AM Reply   
Matt!sup buddy, I think we are going to hit up Saguaro this weekend on saturday... just cause i think it will be easier for people. But it's going to be so fun! I hope you can go even though the comp is this weekend... But we have tons of people coming!We are taking both the epics out and just going to fill them up.
Old     (96formula)      Join Date: Apr 2007       06-18-2008, 9:56 AM Reply   
Paul's Hideaway at lake pleasant is the only place where it is ok to ride. People think its fun to tube and surf in the cove while we are riding. Why cant those douchebags use the main body of the lake? I dont know what goes through their minds.
Old     (yorwakebordfrend)      Join Date: Aug 2006       06-18-2008, 10:00 AM Reply   
that will be tough man outlaw usually rides last and plus the comps at spring mtn. and thats in buckeye its like the opposite way of saguaro
Old     (sjohnson)      Join Date: May 2007       06-18-2008, 10:37 AM Reply   
Sounds good. However, once and a while we all have that drunk guy on the boat that just wants to make noise...so if we can keep it specifically powerturn oriented I think it could work. Probably have to blast em and ensinuate a "throttle pull back" motion.

If it get abused it will lose its meaning...worth a shot though. Anyone want to sell blow horns @ the dock to curtious boats? lol.
Old     (adrenalindustries)      Join Date: Jun 2008       06-18-2008, 1:35 PM Reply   
Matt- ya.. we are going to do this like every weekend so its not a big deal... but in aug. we are throwing a awesome competition! its all about style.. best style trick, double up, best trick w/crash, just a bunch of stuff! me and ben are going to plan it together. if you have any ideas shoot them my way. probably going to be the end of aug. and then we are going to have a pre party for the comp. bunch of events coming up.

Scott-
Dude I am laughing so hard just thinking every person that throws a power turn and then 5 random boats blow the air horn! haha dude that would be so awesome! I am so doing it! It would be a good way to see how many people are on wakeworld! This will work I know it!
Old     (yorwakebordfrend)      Join Date: Aug 2006       06-18-2008, 3:00 PM Reply   
oh yea for sure ben was telling me about his idea to do a rider organized contest just for style and fun that sounds so sick.. we should have it at bartlett cause towards the end of august i dont think many people will be out
Old     (joec08)      Join Date: Jul 2007       06-18-2008, 3:54 PM Reply   
Ha, what about just going up to the Jack A$$ and in a good way tell them that they are killing water for everybody,Don,t be rude just say it,s your lake so do what you want,But we could all have good water,most people dont Know there ruining it for all on the lake.
Old     (adrenalindustries)      Join Date: Jun 2008       06-19-2008, 6:57 AM Reply   
Ya that would be a good idea... I have just run into people getting really defensive... no matter how nice you are being... might turn into a Scuffal! We should just have fun with the air horns!

Matt-
Ya we thought Bartlett would be a good idea too... just because even if people didn't have a boat they could just drive to whatever cove we decide to do it in! It's going to be fun... start talkin to friends and let's all get something crazy going.
Old     (bsebllhglyknit)      Join Date: Jul 2007       06-19-2008, 7:36 AM Reply   
Hey justin was that malibu black and orange? Oh and Im down for the air horn thing. Im at saquaro ever sunday early.
Old     (96formula)      Join Date: Apr 2007       06-19-2008, 9:57 AM Reply   
The last time we pulled in Jack A$$ we got shot at by some drunk redneck fisherman.
Old     (sjohnson)      Join Date: May 2007       06-19-2008, 4:17 PM Reply   
"Dude I am laughing so hard just thinking every person that throws a power turn and then 5 random boats blow the air horn!"

Its going to be funny...best part is it wont be from only one boat if word gets out. Problem is we're in the minority as far as knowing how to drive. Wonder if it'll create a confrontation from weekend warriors.

Who's bought their horns for the weekend?

Dude, this place has chromed out ones! lol

http://www.falconsafety.com/signalHorns/marineHorns/ProductListing.aspx?GroupId=121

Im hoping for this reaction:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tib9q48R1GQ
Old     (ezychz)      Join Date: Oct 2005       06-20-2008, 7:07 AM Reply   
I am going to get an airhorn today, but you guys better not leave me hanging out there. We are always in Pauls and on Saguaro, so I better hear at least one other horn. I am definitely going to laugh my ass off the first time I hear someone blowing a powerhorn at some PTer.........
Old     (sjohnson)      Join Date: May 2007       06-20-2008, 8:04 AM Reply   
Rodney, dont know if your on this thread or not, but good to meet you last night. Those Epic's are a force to be reckoned with. The rollers are beasts!

So on a thursday night you would assume that the lake would be semi quiet, w/ respectable boaters, but noooo. Only about 10 boats out and 7 were doing PT's on calm water in all areas of the lake. F'n rediculous. Worst part is a few of the boats had good riders throwin 3's/roll to revert ect...riders obviously in the know, but had no concern. Whatever.

I wish I bought my horn prior to going out, but time was short.

I'll be equiped and back out Sunday afternoon @ Saguaro. That things going to run out of air in one day.
Old     (azwakekid)      Join Date: Apr 2005       06-20-2008, 2:17 PM Reply   
it was good to meet you also scott. ya i dont know what it is with all the bad driving out there. first we have to contend with mother nature with the wind. and then we have to deal with all the yahoo's that cant drive. i think your horn idea would work great!
Old     (cece)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-23-2008, 6:27 AM Reply   
So, I'm dying to know if you guys followed through with this yesterday. I was out from 5 to 7:30 AM and the water would have been incredible the whole time if it wasn't for the two Tige's doing power turns. You know it's sad when the front of the lake is better than the back because of a couple of ignorant people.
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       06-23-2008, 8:05 AM Reply   
Yo Justin, Steve from CA. I'm over here in Gilbert at that private lake. Pretty sick except for all the ski boats. Any chance you guys are riding between now and Wednesday? My flight leaves Phoenix at 5pm and I'd be stoked to join you for a set or two.
Old     (adrenalindustries)      Join Date: Jun 2008       06-23-2008, 9:44 AM Reply   
Whats up steve! Yes I think we are going today... if you get this in time we are leaving my house at 3.
Old     (adrenalindustries)      Join Date: Jun 2008       06-23-2008, 9:49 AM Reply   
I hope everyone bought horns for the week.. Its going to be exciting! No more power turns... and scott no worries if your Horn runs out... we can just start throwing at them! might even get there attention better.
Old     (lincoln)      Join Date: Jun 2007       06-23-2008, 10:14 AM Reply   
Justin, did you guys ride Sat morning? Looks like you had a ton of people! We got pictures of all the powerturners! They will be posted ASAP!
Old     (turbonine)      Join Date: Oct 2005       06-23-2008, 11:53 AM Reply   
White and grey Tige 20V out on Bartlett Sunday evening. That thing is killing me. It has been out there every Sunday for the past few weeks.

With about 45 minutes of light left, the lake butters out and he is sending rollers everywhere. He had a beginner in the water that couldn't even get out of the water. But everytime that handle snapped out of the guys hands he would powerturn to get back.

I will get pics next time.

(Message edited by turbonine on June 23, 2008)
Old     (adrenalindustries)      Join Date: Jun 2008       06-23-2008, 12:13 PM Reply   
Lincoln Ya we were there saturday morning. ya we had a full boat. You must have allot of pictures! I got there at like 5am... and so many people were there! So crazy... but that is a good idea with the pictures. I got so sick of everyone doing it so i was like f'n sucks I am going to throw some in there.. so I took my 4000 pound ballast butt and ripped it around a couple of times. Oh ya I had to sometimes because MY RIDERS ALMOST GOT HIT!!! Good times though
Old     (gobigorgohome)      Join Date: Aug 2005       06-23-2008, 12:25 PM Reply   
Here is a flyer that can be given out to powerturners, or even posted in a public place (like that sign board near the top of ramp 2 at Saguaro).

Attention: Watersports Enthusiasts

With the lakes more popular than ever calm water is becoming harder to find. As most watersports are best done in calm waters a little consideration from everyone can help to make all of our outings more fun; one way of achieving this is to stop doing POWERTURNS.

When your skier/boarder/tuber falls down please slow the boat to a stop before returning to him/her at a slow, no-wake speed. This has a number of benefits for you and other lake users:

- No unnecessary waves sent across the lake
- No choppy water for your rider to contend with when you circle around him/her
- Reduced fuel usage
- Reduced wear and tear on your boat and equipment
- Rider has time to recover before starting again

If everyone heeds this friendly advice the lake will be a better place for all.

However, if you feel that your rider is in danger and you need to return to him/her quickly, do so.

Thanks!

PS This request is in no way endorsed by AZ Game and Fish or any other state/local authority.
Old     (stevev210)      Join Date: Feb 2005       06-23-2008, 8:25 PM Reply   
We were on the water at 4:30 fillen ballast and left by 7:30, the Tige and the Red Nautique was tearen everything up there were a couple others but I cant remember what they were, Cant wait till winter. I had the 05 black X2, I wish I had a mic for my Pro80s.
Old     (lincoln)      Join Date: Jun 2007       06-24-2008, 5:06 AM Reply   
We were out last night and a white with black Tige was out plowing rollers for everyone else to deal with! I gotta get a blow horn!
Old     (lincoln)      Join Date: Jun 2007       06-24-2008, 6:18 AM Reply   
Watch ou for these Two Boats "Powerturners"
Upload
Upload
More to come!
Old     (wakekat15)      Join Date: Jul 2005       06-24-2008, 6:33 AM Reply   
Has anyone approached them to discuss? Many of us were "wallys" before being educated otherwise. IF they aren't receptive to the constructive feedback, start a WALLY thread and we can all post pics of those that we tried to educate, yet they continue to be jack @$$#$!

(Message edited by wakekat15 on June 24, 2008)
Old     (adrenalindustries)      Join Date: Jun 2008       06-24-2008, 6:56 AM Reply   
We were out yesterday and the wind was horrible... but at saguaro you can get out of it sometimes in the very back. So I head back there and there is a black and white tige surfing!!! Don't get me wrong I love surfing... but its the only good water on the freaking lake! So I told my driver to cruise over there and talk to them and i wakeboarded right next to them and said "please go out in the open, this is the only good water!" and I pointed but they all just looked at me and smiled! so frustrating.. I didn't want to make it a big deal but come on!!!
Old     (96formula)      Join Date: Apr 2007       06-24-2008, 7:26 AM Reply   
We have tried to approach the people on that Tige and give them a lesson on boat etiquette while we were at Pleasant. They were just kids, and didn't want to listen to us.
Old     (sjohnson)      Join Date: May 2007       06-24-2008, 7:59 AM Reply   
We were out Sunday morning too. We approached one of the Tige's with a warm welcome and a freindly attitude. Addressed the issue and the guy was your typical meathead tard and a total ass claiming he's worried about his rider getting hit - when clearly there were no other boats in the area. We were polite and agreeable and didnt want to start trouble, but he wanted nothing to do with being told how to drive properly. Douche.

He agreed that he liked smooth water, which was a relief, but for some reason he was spinning doughnuts. His boat full of passenger douche's couldnt even get up.

Horns - Where do you get em? I went to three stores on Sat preping for Sun and none carried them. Walmart, Target, and REI. Maybe Sports Authority??

btw-I have a YouTube vid in developement for PT's. If you have any sweet footage of anyone ripping a textbook style powerturn send it over. Email's in the profile. (up to 10 mb)
Old     (adrenalindustries)      Join Date: Jun 2008       06-24-2008, 8:05 AM Reply   
Scott you can get them at Wal-Mart, Target, Walgreens. Best bet would be Sports Authority. Someone put a link up at the top were you can order them on-line. I am going to buy mine today, I have a wal-mart just down the street.
Old     (wakekat15)      Join Date: Jul 2005       06-24-2008, 8:06 AM Reply   
Wow...at least you tried with the Tige, Scott! The Nautique doesn't even have registration numbers....could be a total newbie that has no idea.

A video?? AWESOME!
Old     (sjohnson)      Join Date: May 2007       06-24-2008, 8:07 AM Reply   
Pete - I have a sign shop a block away...I'll find out how much for a banner. If someone goes out to Saguaro today or this week can you post a guestimate of the demensions on that metal thing on the dock?
Old     (sjohnson)      Join Date: May 2007       06-24-2008, 8:09 AM Reply   
Cool. My walmart sucks then.
Old     (adrenalindustries)      Join Date: Jun 2008       06-24-2008, 8:22 AM Reply   
Just look in the sports section
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       06-24-2008, 9:26 AM Reply   
Justin, thanks a ton for the ride yesterday. Your crew is fun to hang with, and that Epic wake is absolutely nuts!

It was so frustrating out there, I can see what you guys are talking about. The back section started to smooth off and this yahoo boat pulling a tube comes ripping in and whips three donuts in the far back section! Thanks for that boss.

I like that flyer idea, but as is said, "You can only show them the path, you can't make them walk it."
Old     (adrenalindustries)      Join Date: Jun 2008       06-24-2008, 11:55 AM Reply   
Steve no worries man! Ya we always have fun. I like your comment "you can only show them the patch, you can't make them walk it"... kinda spiritual! haha.
Old     (gobigorgohome)      Join Date: Aug 2005       06-24-2008, 3:12 PM Reply   
Scott - I wouldn't go to the lengths of making a banner, I'd just print it, laminate it and hang it up on that sign. If it's too big/extravagant etc it'll be stolen or taken down by 'the authorities'.

On that subject if anyone is going to put it up I'd suggest running it by the guy in the gatehouse first. They should definitely be posted on the windshields of offenders vehicles!

PS If these people that have already been spoken too get spoken too by other groups of boaters it can only help!

(Message edited by gobigorgohome on June 24, 2008)
Old     (sjohnson)      Join Date: May 2007       06-24-2008, 3:31 PM Reply   
First edition of the POWERTURN instructional series...I need more footage of people in full PT action.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzvOsvrhR4M (best viewed w/sound :-) )

oh ya..if you have a Youtube account rate it 5 so it gets in the rankings for search's.

(Message edited by sjohnson on June 24, 2008)
Old     (w00taz)      Join Date: Jun 2007       06-24-2008, 3:32 PM Reply   
yea gilligan in the tige needs stranded on a desert island on a 115° day..
Old     (gobigorgohome)      Join Date: Aug 2005       06-24-2008, 4:28 PM Reply   
Quote: First edition of the POWERTURN instructional series...I need more footage of people in full PT action.

Hey I recognize the boat in that video - yeah, I knew Chris was a closet powerturner!

Good work Scott, in this litigation-happy day and age I would suggest you emphasize (a couple of times) that people should ignore the advice if they think someone's in danger.
Old     (sjohnson)      Join Date: May 2007       06-24-2008, 8:41 PM Reply   
Air Horn Purchased...and its fawkin loud...almost hurts to use it.

Sports Authority in the fishing section. US Coast Guard Certified...they must encourage this sort of use. Who knew! lol

Upload
Old     (96formula)      Join Date: Apr 2007       06-25-2008, 6:46 AM Reply   
Watch out for another new Nautique w/ a huge Century Marine sticker on it. They LOVE to power turn and surf in Pauls cove. SURF IN THE MIDDLE OF THE LAKE! You dont need calm water to do it. Picture of boat coming soon.
Old     (yorwakebordfrend)      Join Date: Aug 2006       06-25-2008, 2:01 PM Reply   
rich youre joking right? the century people dont power turn i know that for a fact
Old     (azwakekid)      Join Date: Apr 2005       06-25-2008, 2:29 PM Reply   
i dont think he said it was century marine. he just said the boat had a century sticker on the boat
Old     (crosenhahn)      Join Date: Feb 2008       06-25-2008, 2:32 PM Reply   
Have the same problem in CO...

At our Ski Resorts (winter) when you enter into the terrain park or any part of the mountain they have those huge signs that tell you all what to do and not to do....them seem to help out a bit...maybe one of the marinas would get in on it and but some local shops on it to sponsor it for the cost...

Just my two cents...Might try it in CO -
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       06-25-2008, 2:47 PM Reply   
good thought, but a shop or dealer isn't going to sponsor a sign meant for the wallies they just sold the un-needed gear or boat to. Why can't it start there, dealers should have the responsibility to educate on this stuff.
Old     (96formula)      Join Date: Apr 2007       06-25-2008, 3:24 PM Reply   
Yeah, I didn't say it was the Century guys. I said the boat had the Century decal.
Old     (lincoln)      Join Date: Jun 2007       06-25-2008, 6:53 PM Reply   
Here is that white and black Tige! Surfing the only butter on the lake!
Upload
Old     (adrenalindustries)      Join Date: Jun 2008       06-26-2008, 11:54 AM Reply   
Ya I have riden with some of the Century guys and they dont powerturn... But I have some pictures coming up! Well I should say I HAVE ALOT!! of pictures coming. haha