Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through September 24, 2009

Old     (geogilbert)      Join Date: May 2007       09-15-2009, 1:51 PM Reply   
I guess the question is does a Backroll behind a boat translate to hitting a ramp or kicker on a cable.

I am going to OWC next weekend and wanted to get an idea of what tricks I can try.

I figure 3s translate fairly well and are probably easier then W2W 3s but wondering about rolls.

And I have seen a few videos of huge air off the turns but cant see how that really works.
Old     (txwakerider)      Join Date: Oct 2008       09-15-2009, 1:56 PM Reply   
Yes backrolls translate very much so, treat the kicker just like a wake, ride to the top of it and pop off the top. The landing will be a little rougher at first since there is no downside of the wake to land on, but its not bad. Spinning is a little different off the kickers, but once you figure it out it is way easier.
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       09-15-2009, 5:52 PM Reply   
Rolls off the ramps are real easy. They are different from the boat in that you cannot edge all the way up the ramp because the ramp will not grip the board like water. Just cut into the ramp and flatten out as you hit it. The exception is small short ramps. You can edge right into them because you are bounced off the ramp before the board can slide out.

(the turn explanation)

It's translates from the boat pretty well if you can get over the idea that you throw the roll on the water almost like on the wake (at least for me). Except there is no wake so people get confused about where to throw it. Just take a progressive edge out 10 or 15 feet from the cable and then edge hard away from the cable just like edging up the wake. There is no specific distance or speed you have to be going. I can throw them under the cable with no progressive edge.

When you edge hard the cable will pull tight and the water will grab the board. The water will throw the board into the air at the same time the cable yanks you up and out of the water. It's pretty automatic. Concentrate on a strong grip because the cable will yank the handle out of your hand if you don't.
Old     (cheesydog)      Join Date: Mar 2009       09-15-2009, 7:30 PM Reply   
if you want to give the corner tricks a go, this can help you

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TwEQgc72CIA