Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through July 09, 2003

Old    pwfan            06-15-2003, 9:44 PM Reply   
Please help, my back hurts like hell after taking even a few short sets. It blows big time, because I can't do things very well for like the next 2 days. If anyone has any tips, I would be stoked.
Old    wakeboarder4lif            06-15-2003, 9:49 PM Reply   
are you doing a lot of raley variations? cause i know that after i do a lot of raley type moves my back kills
Old    pwfan            06-15-2003, 10:00 PM Reply   
No, I suck. I usally spend my sessions slaming my self all over the lake
Old    wakeboarder4lif            06-15-2003, 10:08 PM Reply   
how often do you ride?
Old    pwfan            06-15-2003, 10:17 PM Reply   
Almost every weekend
Old     (afrodeziak)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-15-2003, 11:48 PM Reply   
stretch before and after you ride.... chances are you're like me, lazy unti you go on the water so you're jsut out of shape in early season... muscles forget how to do things and generally hurt like a biatch until they are ready to go full steam
Old     (rhettb)      Join Date: Feb 2003       06-16-2003, 5:59 AM Reply   
I don't know if you workout, but if you do, work your lower back in the gym. I used to be the same way, started doing lower back raises once or twice a week and now I can do five or six sets without any discomfort and barely any soreness the following day, that is of course unless I bite it really hard a few times.
Old    shikafly            06-16-2003, 11:10 AM Reply   
kyle - I am a pretty new wakeboarder like you (and at 36, at the higher end of the wakeboarding age demographic).
Make sure that you do alot of hamstring stretches before you start riding. People think of the hamstrings as only being in the legs, but they extend all the way into the lower back. When you are gettin pulled over forward by the rope and try to stand up straight, it is teh hamstrings that are taking most of the wear and tear.
Remember also, strong abdominal muscles will help support the lower back as well. So do those crunches.
Old    damnation            06-16-2003, 11:41 AM Reply   
You may want to try standing up straighter while you ride. Bending over too much will really work your back. Also, like the guys said, stretch and work out your lower back.
Old    pwfan            06-16-2003, 12:50 PM Reply   
Thank you all for the tips, I do usally stretch before and after riding. But the hamstring thing is new to me. Do you know any good stretches to do for your hamstrings?

Thank you for your time
Old     (wakeguru)      Join Date: Feb 2003       06-16-2003, 12:53 PM Reply   
I use a medicine ball to help stretch out my back.
I like to either jump on the tramp or ride my bike around the block a few times to warm up before riding.
Old    crash_and_burn            06-16-2003, 3:04 PM Reply   
Kyle,, keep you ass over your bindings and your back straighter. (don't get that "your ass is looking for a date bend me over the motor look") If you are doing some sort of wake jump,, keep your head up when you land and don't let your arms go all over the place.
Old     (hatepwcs)      Join Date: Mar 2002       06-16-2003, 3:06 PM Reply   
riding in rough water will kill your back
Old    isaac_d_funk            06-16-2003, 6:41 PM Reply   
Yeah, let's ask wakeboarders for a medical diagnosis.
Old     (gunz)      Join Date: Sep 2001       06-16-2003, 8:36 PM Reply   
Strengthen and stretch!Crunches SUCK!Do janda sit ups.They take your hip flexors out of the movement,and just work your abs.You'll only be able to get a couple at a time but thats all you need.Crunches will hurt your back in the long run,and they really don't do anything.
Also concentrate on CORE exercises for your mid section including your lower back.