Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through April 26, 2009

Old     (robster)      Join Date: Dec 2007       04-05-2009, 1:05 PM Reply   
I came across an '86 MC Tristar on Craigslist the other day and I would like to know if anyone out there has one/has ever riden behind one/ or has even ever acttualy seen one?

This thing has a 454 but looks more like an old deck boat with just a little windsheild infront of the 2 person drivers seat and the open bow looks like it wraps around the entire port side of the boat.

I'd love to hear some feed back and see more pics of this boat.
Old     (nwarhol1105)      Join Date: Oct 2008       04-05-2009, 6:28 PM Reply   
This sounds like 22' Tristar? I own a Tristar 190 and I love it! Throws a big enough wake my crew and I. The only downside about my boat I would say is the low riding bow. If you know how to drive its not a problem though. Awesome boats for the money!
Upload
Old     (robster)      Join Date: Dec 2007       04-05-2009, 8:06 PM Reply   
sweet thanks, Nice looking boat. Yeah the one I'm looking at is bigger, it doesn't really look like a ski/wake boat at all but it does have a direct drive engine.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       04-06-2009, 7:35 AM Reply   
Sounds like the 22' tristar. Got the same boat. Throws a wide, clean wake. Ideal is speed will be 24-25, so if you're just getting the hang of things, it will be faster than you want to ride. Once you get used to driving it weighted, dipping the nose isn't an issue - it likes most of the weight in the back/midship. Mine has a 351W that i've tuned up a little bit, that 454 will be perfect. Prop made a big difference on my boat so I'd reprop right off the bat. Well built, solid boat.
Old     (robster)      Join Date: Dec 2007       04-06-2009, 10:14 AM Reply   
Nacho,
Thanks! How much weight do you put in it and what the area along side and behind the engine like? The only pics i was able to see where of the bow space and a side profile?
Old     (bboozer)      Join Date: Apr 2007       04-07-2009, 7:31 AM Reply   
ah the memories.... Our 1st real boat was an '89 Tristar it was platinum and teal very similar color scheme to Nick's. Back then we were really into kneeboarding and it was a great boat, I sold it with about 800 hours on it in 1996 and the only problems I ever had were the alternator had to be rewound and then right before I sold it I had to have the carb rebuilt....
Old     (robandrus)      Join Date: Feb 2002       04-07-2009, 2:58 PM Reply   
I have had the 220 and the 190. They are a good boat, but kind of a beginner boat. You will need about 2500lbs, most of it in the back to get a good wake. I believe I had the ACME 543 on it to get it out of the hole with that much weight. Wake actually got pretty good, but wasn't my favorite even then. Check my profile.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       04-09-2009, 9:35 AM Reply   
1500 - 2000lbs will get you started. I put an 800 lb sac behind the engine, 600 lbs of lead on each side of the engine, 150 in lead up front under the seats then fill about 500 in two front sacs under the seats.

Ive got the ACM 537 13.5" x 16* and pulls out no problem.