Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 06, 2007

Old     (sam8)      Join Date: Dec 2004       07-15-2007, 9:10 PM Reply   
Spent some time watching folks on the ramp today, confimring my suspicions that we are being overrun by buffoons, even up here in the hills. It was extremely sad.
I ain't gonna name the lake, just throw out some thoughts.

-Having a bad-boy lifted truck with 4 grand worth of wheels and tires and a booming stereo pounding on the ramp isn't going to help you, or attract others to help you when the cheap-arse mismatched, bias ply weather checked tires on the trailer under your 60k boat explode as you are hauling out.
Get some good tires on you trailer. Get a spare.
Carry some basic tools. A lug wrench and a jack would be a good start, practice using them at home.

-The courtesy dock is for quick loading and unloading of folks, not for stacking huge piles of camping gear, and taking up both sides of the dock for half an hour.

-Nothing in the world makes people with trailers more angry than some moron without a trailer pulling right to the bottom of a ramp, taking up the turn-around area and a recovery lane while all the inbred, overweight, kids climb into the 78 Dodge k-car wagon, arguing about who pooped his or her pants, while mom and dad are yelling at each other as they are trying to find their cigarettes

-Three lane boat ramps are designed so three boats can be recovered at any given time, not one active lane and one or two clowns taking up the other two, waiting until the boat is touching the water to put up the bimini, take the straps off the transom, load the ice chests, or do any of the above in reverse when pulling out. The launch/recovery lane isn't a wipe down zone either. That area is labled "PREP ZONE". It is over by the parking area.

-The courtesy dock is not for people to sit in their chairs and fish from. Nor is it a staging area for three canoes full of unsupervised screaming kids to purposely swamp their vessels, placing them, the canoes, and all the boats in the area at risk. if you have children at/near the lake and water, supervise them. If you don't want to do that, do us all a favor and stay home or go to the municipal pool back in your hometown where you can lay the responsibility for your children on some unfortunate lifeguard. Or,buy yourself one of those cool pools at K-Mart.

-If you must bring your canine friend to the lake with you, please keep it under control. Please be prepared to clean up after it.

-If you are new at traileriing, launching, or recovering, ask for help, and try not to perform these acts during peak hours. You might even want to practice backing in a quiet parking lot someplace beside the ramp. This will mitigate the impact of dragging your stern drive, swamping your truck, etc. has on the rest of us.

-If you have a boat, and are bringing friends, educate one or more of them in the skills necessary to assit with backing, towing, loading, or launching. If they can't/won't help you, and they are going to sit in your boat blocking the ramp and the dock while you try to do everything, take the key so the rest of us don't have to listen to your boat stereo pounding while you try to do everything, and your friends are busy looking cool, and we are unable to hear as we are trying to load/unload.

-A few very basic simple rule for folks, even the most oblivious, ignorant, self-centered attention starved types might go something like this.
"While you may feel as if you own the world, and are in control of the speed by which it rotates, there will be an infrequent situation where it might be in your best interest to wake the heck up, look around you, and consider the fact that even if you did own it, the rest of us who call the planet home are not the least bit interested in how cool you think you are. A safe bet for you would be to take your cool quotion, divide it by two, and re-evaluate yourself at 15% of that. That number is what the rest of us, those beyond your nose, the other creatures you see moving around in front of you think of you... on a good day.
If large numbers of people are staring at you, and you are taking up space, consider the fact that the space you are in might be one that SOMEBODY ELSE NEEDS TO USE!
Today was a great lesson in one of the undeniable truths of life.
"You can't fix stupid"
Stupid is reaching epidemic levels.
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       07-15-2007, 9:21 PM Reply   
Great post, idiots are coming out of the woodwork. I've seen it all myself, I really try to go to the lake during the week and stay away during the weekend if possible. I can't stand these retarded people. It's hard to believe that a person can be so stupid and have no common sense yet make enough money to buy a new wakeboard boat. I'm with you, oh and don't even offer to help anyone out at the ramp they'll give you that look like "how dare you".. I know not all people are like this but there are a ton of them.
Old     (mo_scrilla)      Join Date: Jun 2004       07-15-2007, 9:23 PM Reply   
Boat ramp watching is fun... But the real dumbasses seem to be at the RV holding tank dump station. for the last 2 Sundays I have seen people dumping their tanks without using the sewage hose...Why? I have no clue. These people are a case of ecoli waiting to happen.
Old     (technarider)      Join Date: Jun 2006       07-15-2007, 9:36 PM Reply   
two things... great post...

2nd Mo Scrilla- if they are not using the sewage hose.. what are they doing... dumping it over the hole????
Old     (pickle311)      Join Date: Oct 2005       07-15-2007, 9:42 PM Reply   
that should be posted at all boat ramps
Old     (mo_scrilla)      Join Date: Jun 2004       07-15-2007, 10:03 PM Reply   
Leo- Yea over the hole. They wash it down, but it is still distugsting. Last week they were shuving the waterhose in the dump valve and then pulling it out and all this raw sewage would come flying out...NASTY.
Old     (ronnyboy27)      Join Date: Nov 2005       07-15-2007, 10:16 PM Reply   
I freaking hate it when people leave their boat tied up at the 15 minute doc for hours. I also wonder why it takes more than 2 minutes to put your boat in and pull back out. I saw someone take over 30 minutes to launch their boat saturday. WTF! The line was 45 minutes to launch and some yahoo is sitting their messing with his boat!
Old     (gunz)      Join Date: Sep 2001       07-15-2007, 10:20 PM Reply   
Army-Your post should be law!

Sometimes,just for entertainment,I ride my hog to the ramp at Lake Sonoma,and watch the comedy.

Hours of laughs.
Old     (eargasm)      Join Date: May 2007       07-15-2007, 10:26 PM Reply   
Hey Army - are you talking about the Dark Day launch ramp?
Old     (justcoz5)      Join Date: Apr 2007       07-15-2007, 10:56 PM Reply   
was helping my uncle launch his fishing boat on saturday, and there were freaking kids swimming in the launching area, throwing mud at eachother. Who in the world is letting their kids do this? I'll tell you who, rednecks. Forget about rigs backing up and spinning propellers, who swims in stagnet water with gasoline oils atop the water? Unfreakinbelievable
Old     (woodsracer)      Join Date: Oct 2006       07-16-2007, 6:33 AM Reply   
Last night at dusk while three of us, were trying to pull our boats out of the lake, we witnessed an ElCamino back into the water to drop off a dude's jetski directly out of the bed of the truck, on the left side of a 3 slip launch ramp. His "crew of 6 other people" were hanging around on the dock, watching him, while their kids started jumping in and swimming on the left and center launch ramps, and he started racing his jetski around the dock and jumping his own waves. Keep in mind there are 4-6 boats trying to come in to their trailers, including 3 of us. Just as my trailer got backed into the water and I prepared to start yelling or whatever necessary to get them to clear out of the area, they decided to move away. Pretty crazy to watch it all happen.
Old     (hal2814)      Join Date: Feb 2006       07-16-2007, 6:57 AM Reply   
Oooh, prepwork on the ramp annoys me. I think some multi-ramp parks need more prep areas but that doesn't excuse it. Just use a parking spot if the proper prep area is occupied.

If there are a million parking spaces open, don't park right next to me.

If the ramp is small, don't try to launch your cabin cruiser from it. I won't even launch at Tugaloo State Park anymore because there's always some idiot who thinks that tiny, narrow ramp will accommodate his 28' cruiser.

If the entire p-funk mob is going to be joining you on your boat that day. Only tie up at the dock when people have shown up and are ready to get on the boat. Don't tie up the dock for half an hour waiting for people who are all arriving at different times.
Old     (bremsen)      Join Date: Aug 2005       07-16-2007, 7:12 AM Reply   
If you forget your plug and realize after you've dropped in, don't sit on the ramp and drain your bilge back into the lake....its not going to miss those 20gal. Either let your bilge pump drain it as you motor back out or pull your boat completely off the loading ramp to drain in the parking lot.
Old     (sinkoumn)      Join Date: Jan 2007       07-16-2007, 7:18 AM Reply   
One more reason why they need to implement full on licenses (with paper and water tests) for people to own/operate a watercraft...
Old     (siuski)      Join Date: Feb 2003       07-16-2007, 7:22 AM Reply   
Amen to the above! I was waiting to put the trailer in the water to pick the wife up yesterday and two rigs were taking up the 3+ lane ramp...We've got a 21v and one of the blocking rigs was a 24ssv, the other was an I/O. The guy in the 24 had tons of patience, but was telling the fam the exact wrong thing to do as he was trying to use the boat buddy. He kept getting the bow stuck under it because the trailer was too deep. Then his platform fell off and started floating! Sent his son in after it, and the guy almost backed up over him. Well I figured it was time to step in before things got out of hand and someone got hurt.

Got him loaded up, and the wife and I had our boat loaded up before the I/O offender, and pulled up to the 24ssv before the fam bailed out of the truck!
Old     (paublo)      Join Date: Jul 2002       07-16-2007, 7:33 AM Reply   
I have found that most of the time if I approach an idiot with some courtesy and attitude of helping, many of these individuals can learn and improve. In the long run this will make it easier for all of us.

Last time at our lake on a four lane ramp a guy next to me took nearly 1-1/2 lanes and then started yelling at someone who he thought was crowding him. I walked over by this guy and nicely suggested that he not be too hard on the other fellow since he was the one crowding him by not staying in his lane. He stopped his rant, looked around and then apoligized to everyone. Some people are beyond helping, but I think that most just don't know better.
Old     (fatsac)      Join Date: Jun 2004       07-16-2007, 8:28 AM Reply   
I worked on a marina as a kid and it seemed like the fuel dock was just as much of a cluster as any ramp. Drunks trying to dock, fill, take off without undoing the lines.
I watched a guy try to empty his holding tank and couldn't quite get it to work. He loosens the valve, looks down the cap and sh-t sprays all over his face and hands. I threw up in my mouth.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       07-16-2007, 9:43 AM Reply   
"Stupid is reaching epidemic levels" This is a great quote.

Let me first say, "Let he who has never done something stupid or pissed someone on the lake off throw the first roller"

I’m not trying to be Gandhi but we can talk about stupid people and the things they do all day long. I have no Idea what can be done to address the many F'd up things that bother us all. Power turners, Crazy PWC's, Launch Ramp Idiots, ect ect. The lake is full of people that can turn your day on the lake sideways. The launch ramp is no exception. Especially at the end of the day when your tired sunburned and hungry and might have a long drive ahead of you. People not might be at there best. I’m not saying what stupid people do is ok I’m just saying there's not much I see you can do about it except not let it get to you and or try to avoid it. I see so much stupid like the rest of you. You can either address each and every thing and ruin your day or turn the other cheek and carry on. My solution is I don’t expect perfect conditions on the weekends and lower my expectations and expect to see idiots that way they don’t bother me when they pop up. Try getting out on the weekday's way less idiots. The only Idiot on the lake might you.
Old     (flux)      Join Date: Jun 2003       07-16-2007, 9:51 AM Reply   
I will repeat my plea for a watercraft operator certification. This is mostly just a safety and informational test. Like teaching people to look for bouys, safe distances, and general dangers on the lake and at the launch ramp. California needs this badly.

Other than that, I simply expect a circus during the peak summer months and learn to enjoy those early spring and late fall rides when there are few boats around.
Old     (buzz_grande)      Join Date: Mar 2004       07-16-2007, 10:03 AM Reply   
I have gone to the lake and bay many times by myself (for various reasons). I have backed the trailer down the ramp, launched the boat, tied up at the dock, ran back to my truck and pulled the trailer out, and there were STILL the same boats on the ramp dickin' around with their boats, either trying to get it started, putting crap on or taking it off, etc. Launch ramps are not rocket science, but it constantly amazes me what goes on. I have offered to help others on several occasions. Sometimes that accept, other times they don't, and continue to fumble. We have joked about getting a couple chairs, and ice chest of beer, and a camera, and just post up at the ramp and watch the follies. Na. I find it kind of painful to watch stupid people for an extended length of time. Would be fun for a while though!

Great post Army Dad. It should be Law!
Old     (derby)      Join Date: Nov 2005       07-16-2007, 10:36 AM Reply   
Some of you may remember the bleachers at Orwood. That was a favorite pastime during those summer afternoons. They didn't have the amenities they do now either. You had to be on it to launch and recover.

I love heckling but all the fat ol' delta rats were the best.
Old     (treycleaton)      Join Date: Mar 2005       07-16-2007, 11:12 AM Reply   
Yep, trashy, ignorant folks are not limited to the south. And common sense is completely subjective.
Old     (boomerang)      Join Date: Feb 2006       07-16-2007, 11:54 AM Reply   
A blast from the past

Upload
Old     (bazel)      Join Date: Oct 2001       07-16-2007, 12:17 PM Reply   
Now that would take some serious effort!
Old     (deltardr)      Join Date: Jun 2006       07-16-2007, 12:20 PM Reply   
Best day out ever. We come in and some guy is trying to trailer his brand new fully loaded X star. You can tell he is new by the way he keeps over steering and punching at the throttle. Keep in mind the wind is non existent at the ramp and the water is calm. He proceeds to get his X star completely cock-eyed all over the place. Sideways, longways, slantways, diagonal, and i was waiting for upside down. I counted 14 times he rubbed or bounced the boat off the dock. I kindly asked him if he would like a little help and he glared at me and blew me off like i was a jerk for offering to help him. But the best part is when he ran it up onto the guiding pylons and then tried to back down his brand new escalade further down the ramp completely submerging the back of the fricken thing past the roof in the rear. I sat there smiling wait for the escalade to slip into the water and make my life complete.
Old     (jayc)      Join Date: Sep 2002       07-16-2007, 12:21 PM Reply   
Just so you know its just as bad over here in the UK!

We don't have public lakes like you guys are lucky to have but at the beach at weekends its full of idiots trying to launch and retrieve their boats and skis whilst having no consideration for other users.
Old     (deltardr)      Join Date: Jun 2006       07-16-2007, 12:23 PM Reply   
He straight said "whilst"
Old     (treycleaton)      Join Date: Mar 2005       07-16-2007, 12:33 PM Reply   
freakin wankers
Old     (biz)      Join Date: Mar 2004       07-16-2007, 12:37 PM Reply   
That picture makes me ask... why don't more trailers use guide poles??? Even with taking up a few more inches widthwise they would be in DOT guidelines for the majority of trailers.
Old     (deltardr)      Join Date: Jun 2006       07-16-2007, 1:08 PM Reply   
Cosmocat, Im moving to NC next year. Good places to ride near Winston Salem?
Old     (treycleaton)      Join Date: Mar 2005       07-16-2007, 1:32 PM Reply   
High Rock or Belews would be your closest regional lakes....maybe Norman as well. High Rock is the best (as far as being undiscovered) because it is between the two largest cities in NC, Charlotte and Greensboro. It is not too crowded yet. Did you get a job in W/S?
Old     (norcal_wakejunky)      Join Date: Oct 2006       07-16-2007, 2:34 PM Reply   
If you want a good hair pulling time watching people snake spots loading and launching, kids running around trailers while the dad or the mom pulls out the boat, people who sit in the water on their trailer to clean the boat, and once in a good while see white trash rednecks come hauling a$$ down the ramp brake and slide right into the water. If this is what you want you need to launch at Centimudi at Lake Shasta by the dam. You wont be disappointed
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       07-16-2007, 2:35 PM Reply   
i have to believe that guide poles would have done very little to to keep the Dumbass Disease from taking over in that pic.
Old     (hyperlitefan)      Join Date: Jul 2007       07-16-2007, 2:38 PM Reply   
my fav story is a guy is at the dock right by the water line of the ramp. and the ranger comes down and says why have you been here for an hour. (the boat is full about ten people) the driver states the boat will not run. The ranger asked him to back it up and tie off in a better location pionting at the none ramp side. The driver reply he can not and the ranger says I must fine you then. The driver replies come on man it will not run how are we supposed to move it. The ranger say by walking it around on a rope. the people in the boat say but this but is heavy and the ranger laughs.

I did not see the rest.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       07-16-2007, 2:40 PM Reply   
AmryDad, been a while! Good to see you post.

I guess its that time of the year. Last couple weeks have been pretty bad with the holidays. Hopefully, we can get a break till Labor Day. Stay safe out there.
Old     (sam8)      Join Date: Dec 2004       07-16-2007, 3:02 PM Reply   
Thanks Nacho, getting around slowly, but getting around. Still fighting the spine deal, I've got two artifical discs now, and having a steroid injection in a third sometime this week.
Just learning to play the cards I'm dealt, ya know?
Eldest is out of the Army, living,going to college and working in Reno, comes home on the weekends to play. We still have a nephew right in the middle of the shiznit, and another family member enroute back after Ranger School.
I was shocked to see how my ramblings touched a nerve, glad I am not the only one who feels we are witnessing the decline of western civilization right down at the boat ramp.
Old    bocephus            07-16-2007, 3:07 PM Reply   
Army Dad,
That is a kickbutt profile picture/campsite. Hope everyone makes it home safe too.

Bocephus!
Old    bocephus            07-16-2007, 3:14 PM Reply   
Interesting how plagiarism works on the net...

Looks like you might have a right to collect some copyright fees Amry Dad...

http://www.hotboat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=157387
Old     (sam8)      Join Date: Dec 2004       07-16-2007, 3:21 PM Reply   
Bocephus...

That was posted with my permission...lots of folks have the same feelings expressed here, dontcha think?
Old    bocephus            07-16-2007, 3:28 PM Reply   
So you are FlyinBowtie...Funny how many people are on both forums...
Old     (sam8)      Join Date: Dec 2004       07-16-2007, 3:42 PM Reply   
Yes it is. Funny how so many have different screen names, too. It is even funnier how boaters "into" different areas of boating share so many of the same thoughts.
"Flyinbowtie" is a handle I've had for over 10 years, back to the gofast 600HP sandrail days, which are now only a distant memory.
Also, in case you look, I am the FBT on www.extremebuggies.com, as well.
Old     (deltardr)      Join Date: Jun 2006       07-16-2007, 3:54 PM Reply   
Cosmocat, Im transfering with my work. My dads job is the main reason we are moving, that and california is getting ridiculous, too many people the like above mentioned here.
Old     (rich_g)      Join Date: May 2003       07-16-2007, 3:55 PM Reply   
Army Dad, I thought maybe you were really Dave Barry incognito. Your article is some funny stuff.
Old     (sam8)      Join Date: Dec 2004       07-16-2007, 3:59 PM Reply   
Thanks, Rich.
Don't know Dave, but I like him already.LOL
Old     (wakerider42)      Join Date: May 2002       07-16-2007, 4:08 PM Reply   
I had a good one yesterday at the backwater in Canyon Lake. I was picking up my trailer from the trailer parking area to pull out my boat. The launch ramp is a single lane only. Some kids with a POS fishing boat wanted to dump their boat in so they could "make sure it would run." I had a feeling they'd be a bit slow in front of me since it didn't look like they knew what the heck they were doing, but figured I'd give them a chance and see what they could pull off. Well, they were able to get the trailer/boat into the water fairly well, but when they popped the hood of the tow vehicle and proceeded to swap the truck battery into the boat, I just about pooped my pants. Obviously, it took a lot longer than I could have ever imagined. Why they decided to perform this exercise in the BACKWATER where it's a single lane and there are some pretty experienced boaters who don't like to put up with morons is beyond me. I guess that's what happens when you're a dumb kid.

The event became even more comical when all the kids, including the truck driver, ended up in the boat and nobody was left to pull the truck out.

NICE!
Old     (ttrigo)      Join Date: Dec 2004       07-16-2007, 4:11 PM Reply   
you would think the backwater at canyon lake would be the last place on earth you would see something like that. I guess they are everywhere.
Old     (sanger)      Join Date: May 2002       07-16-2007, 4:31 PM Reply   
Beware in the back water! Today I hit what I think was a steel cable where the no wake / start up area is for wakeboarding. It literally peeled one of the prop blades back. At least I was able to idle back to the launch ramp. Someone has really jacked up the no wake buoys out there.
Old     (pickle311)      Join Date: Oct 2005       07-16-2007, 4:54 PM Reply   
Ok, so today I was leaving the lake and some guy in a I/O cut me off as I was pulling up to the dock and he started doing circles in front of the dock. There was a storm blowing in and the water was really choppy. I finally just plowed in and he moved. So we get the boat out of the water and are cleaning everything up and I hear this horrible noise. I look up and the guy was pulling up the ramp and left his outdrive trimmed down and drug it about 100 yards or so before he stopped. That's why I never buy anything used, I'll take the hit to save me from repairs because of the previous owners stupidity.
Old     (gobigorgohome)      Join Date: Aug 2005       07-16-2007, 5:37 PM Reply   

quote:

That's why I never buy anything used, I'll take the hit to save me from repairs because of the previous owners stupidity.

There are a lot of stupid people out there, but there are a lot of decent people who look after their stuff. If you've got a reasonable amount of sense then buying used is a good idea.

Thanks for taking the hit on the depreciation for the rest of us 'used stuff' buyers.
Old     (iridelow1998)      Join Date: Jun 2006       07-16-2007, 6:35 PM Reply   
Amen to all the fellow annoyed!
A week ago we're pulling out of Lake Mohave at Katherines landing when the comedy started. For those of you who frequent Mohave you know that even with 8 count em 8 lanes theres always some nonsense. Because of the morons out to wait an hour or two to launch or retrieve on the weekend has become the norm. Anyway, we pull up drop the wife off and theres some chick in a thong sitting with the trailer in the water and no boat. Everyone says what the hell as shes at least eye candy. To the right of her you've got about 6-7 people with jet skis who are literally standing up holding their watercraft taking up 2 lanes waiting for their trailers to come. On the other side of thong girl comes what appears to be a couple and their 3 grandkids. They drop their trailer in the water and proceed to open the hatch and load their boat. We wont even talk about the 5 boats that have been on the dock this whole time. On the other side of the dock some shmo is taking up 2 lanes with his trailer as he guns the boat his moron kid standing on the swim platform does an involuntary back flip into the lake. Next grandma and grandpa decide they need some ice so off they head to the lake store on foot with trailer still in water. So there we have it, literally 45 minutes later jet skiers still holding their jet skis, gramps still loading up, thong girl still standing as eye candy albeit quite irritating eye candy at this point and the other moron finally gets his boat trailered.
8 lanes and 2 saw any action for 45 minutes.
Even a brand new boater with some etiquette should take no more than 8 minutes since at 120 degrees my patience maxes out at 8 minutes for everyone!
Rant over!
Old     (calaman)      Join Date: Apr 2007       07-16-2007, 8:52 PM Reply   
Nice starting post Army!

No joke, I was at anderson lake several years ago, a guy in his shiny new Sanger dlx had a friend back up his rig to launch. After his boat was wet he realized that his pug wasn't set. He called his friend back and got the boat back on his trailer. He had a lifted ford blaring Hank Williams Jr as loud as possible. HAHA
His buddy used all of the ford's power jumping back out of the water. The trailer pulled away, leaving the brand new sanger on the ramp! It sucked for the sanger owner and almost as sucked as much for the friend driving the ford. I
Ok, yes, I did walk over to get a better look at what a moron with money looks like when he is bent.
The ramp - someone should draft a book, or perhaps a video of ramp blunders I think it would be much better than the not so funny home video show;-)
Old     (266crownlinebr)      Join Date: Apr 2007       07-16-2007, 8:58 PM Reply   
Dirt Dog, I hear you. I went to Mohave two weeks ago. I took the long route out to Princess Cove. That is a real nice ramp back there with no one out there. 4 lanes with a dock in the middle that was really deep. Dirt road sucks, but real nice ramp.
Old     (gwnkids)      Join Date: Nov 2003       07-16-2007, 9:22 PM Reply   
Cole - Dirt and washboard!! we tried it once and that was enough it still took 1 hr (driving at 20 mph) and looked like Pigpen was in the boat.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       07-16-2007, 9:24 PM Reply   
calaman, that sucks!!! how pissed would that make you??

I had an old boy pull his truck and pwc trailer sideways to the water. So he could walk back to the trailer, pick it up, and carry it a few feet at a time.. until the POS trailer, was in the damn water!!! No bul..hit.

laughed my ass off
Old     (gwnkids)      Join Date: Nov 2003       07-16-2007, 9:26 PM Reply   
Oh yea then there is the THUNDERSTORMS

Upload
Upload
Old     (iridelow1998)      Join Date: Jun 2006       07-16-2007, 10:15 PM Reply   
Bryan - Is that princess cove? Let me know cause if so I will NEVER go there!
Old     (gwnkids)      Join Date: Nov 2003       07-16-2007, 10:28 PM Reply   
No, that was at Cottonwood last Aug.
Old     (iridelow1998)      Join Date: Jun 2006       07-16-2007, 10:33 PM Reply   
LOL! I was just there last Thursday.
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       07-16-2007, 11:02 PM Reply   
I was out on the river on Sunday. This fata$$ in a -pregnant jetski sold as wakeboard boat- pulling his fat kids in a tube threads the needle between a friend and I getting withing 20 feet of me. A couple hours later as I am backing down on the dock side of the ramp he pulls right up and ties his boat up in front of my sister idling up to my trailer. As he starts up the 300 yard ramp walk toward the trailer I yell "move your boat, you are blocking the ramp". He looks as if he was just awaken from a deep sleep - says ME? I say yes, you are blocking one lane of the two lane ramp (I don't verbalize the obvious end of the sentance - "MORON"). Then he says "my wife doesn't back the truck", I say JUST MOVE IT. He is debating whether to get pissed at me or at himself then realizes about three or four others are looking at him like he is a MORON, then he goes and moves his boat.

It's absolutely unbeliviable how oblivious people are.
Old     (crushing76)      Join Date: Feb 2007       07-16-2007, 11:07 PM Reply   
There is only one ramp open to the public on lake lewisville due to the water height. Last weekend was the first sunny weekend we've had all summer, which REALLY concentrated the buffoons. I wish I had taken some pics.

When launching, the guy pulling out his nice shiney new bass boat, didn't trim his engine up and drug it all the way across the parking lot... it threw some pretty impressive sparks though. When picking up my boat, a guy backed his trailer in at LITERALLY a 45 degree angle hopping it up over the barrier separating the ramps. Then he got out and looked at his woman (who was in the boat) like, this is the best you're gonna get... put the boat on the trailer. after the 3rd attempt, she figured more speed was what she needed. She hit the dock AND someone elses trailer.

UNBELIEVABLE.
Old     (ronnyboy27)      Join Date: Nov 2005       07-17-2007, 3:43 AM Reply   
Dirt Dog where do you live Needles?
Old     (plhorn)      Join Date: Dec 2005       07-17-2007, 11:07 AM Reply   
My favorite was watching someone is a big expensive fishing boat pull his IO out of the water with the prop down, the engine on AND in gear. The prop was spinning and chewing the hell out of the concrete.
There was no-one in the boat so he had to get out of his truck, and brave the flying concrete and prop bits to get in the boat and turn it off.
Old     (97response)      Join Date: Oct 2004       07-17-2007, 11:07 AM Reply   
This thread got me thinking.

Take a lawnchair and nice beach umbrealla down to your local launch ramp. Preferably during their busiest times. Most importantly, take a VIDEO CAMERA and a SIGN that reads:
"Cost of my services to help with launching/retrieval - FREE.
Cost to keep your dumb*** off YouTube - $10"

...or something along those lines. Anybody who is having trouble and you offer you "services". You be as polite as possible, and basically educate them while you're there. Explain what they did wrong and what they should do next time. If they refuse your help, videotape them and post it. I'd even leave a flyer on their windshield while they're out with Armydad's suggestion, and in giant block letters, they've been captured on video and posted on youtube.

Hopefully you could educate at least 1 person.
Old     (speez)      Join Date: Jun 2007       07-17-2007, 11:53 AM Reply   
i agree with shawn hammond, you must have been at dark day sometime between the 8th and the 15th, i saw every one of those things while we were there for a week, it was ridiculous
Old     (iridelow1998)      Join Date: Jun 2006       07-17-2007, 12:10 PM Reply   

quote:

Dirt Dog where do you live Needles?

No, I live in the Inland Empire in Cali. I'm there almost every weekend at this point though. Trying to talk the wife into buying a little spot in Needles to have for the summertime, we'll see how that goes.
Old     (266crownlinebr)      Join Date: Apr 2007       07-17-2007, 2:57 PM Reply   
The dirt was not fun, but it was better than the first day when I tried to get in at Telephone cove. Bent my skeg gaurd on the back side near the props. Still amazed it didn't get a prop. My boat is 27ft and deep. That was not the place to launch from. We picked it up at Princess Cove. I think the dirt/road out there are why no one really goes out there. I can't believe those pic's of Cottonwood. Crazy.
Old     (tinytdubb)      Join Date: Jul 2007       07-19-2007, 8:52 AM Reply   
Rivers End about two weeks ago.....Oops.Upload
Old     (themxercr85)      Join Date: Jul 2007       07-19-2007, 9:51 AM Reply   
there are some real morons at my launch, great post
Old     (epic1)      Join Date: Oct 2006       07-19-2007, 1:39 PM Reply   
Upload
Old     (justcoz5)      Join Date: Apr 2007       07-19-2007, 3:45 PM Reply   
just curious, what would an insurance company say in instances where we see the rigs that need to be pulled out of the water? I guess I would like to hear the statements that individuals gave for how their truck ended up in the water
Old    bocephus            07-19-2007, 4:04 PM Reply   

quote:

By rick (justcoz5) on Thursday, July 19, 2007 - 3:45 pm:

just curious, what would an insurance company say in instances where we see the rigs that need to be pulled out of the water? I guess I would like to hear the statements that individuals gave for how their truck ended up in the water

If you have full coverage they will cover it. In almost all cases though when the vehicle floods it will be totalled. You can usually find great stuff in the junkyard just outside of Page. Everything is in pristine condition, it's just been underwater before. Never buy a used engine up in Page, there is probably a 80% it has been under water. The one big auto salvage/insurance buyer up there has a sale every September, Bobtail Auto Reclamation I think. Last year I saw a diesel excursion go for $3000 and they drove it off the lot.
Old     (norcal_wakejunky)      Join Date: Oct 2006       07-19-2007, 4:11 PM Reply   
Upload

I had to throw this one in there, I snapped this shot during boardstock 2001. The picture is not that great, but what is funny is that the guy jumped out when he realized his boat wasn't disconnected and either he didn't apply his e-brake or he is a complete idiot, that truck coasted right into the water. If I remember correctly he tried jumping into his truck but it was too late.
Old     (mkperceptions)      Join Date: Jan 2007       07-19-2007, 10:22 PM Reply   
The guy at Rivers end in the delta is way nice and always gives us tips on launching better and the best way to get the boat on the trailer fast etc. Seems tho there is always some meat sac that ties his boat up in the lane and goes to get his truck. My rule is that when your tow vehicle is on the ramp it is your turn, anyone else use this rule?
Old     (shawns_no_good)      Join Date: Jul 2007       07-20-2007, 6:50 AM Reply   
That's what most people try to go off of, I think. Who cares if your boat is there, if your truck's not there you're just blocking the ramp from people who do have their truck there and is blocking you from getting your truck to your boat that's blocking the ramp... et.
I think it should be a posted at all launches, especially if it's only one or two lanes.
Old     (calcio)      Join Date: Aug 2006       07-20-2007, 12:45 PM Reply   
I love launch ramp photos
Old     (kody_a)      Join Date: Aug 2005       07-20-2007, 2:07 PM Reply   
Ok here's another one. All boats can be started out of the water. If you are not sure wether your boat will start and run properly try to turn it over. However do not do this when you have backed up and are already sitting in the water. Your just wasting your and my time to have fun on the lake.

And another thing the loading dock is for the intent of loading and unloading. It's not your garage were you can sit and rebuild your engine. Too many times I've seen this.
Old     (882001)      Join Date: Nov 2003       07-20-2007, 2:27 PM Reply   
http://home.austin.rr.com/bigtoe/LakeAustinRamp4.jpg still one of my favorites. gig em
Old     (justcoz5)      Join Date: Apr 2007       07-20-2007, 3:03 PM Reply   
KHA,

There is now way you are going to get me to fire my boat up prior to launching if it is not hooked up to a hose
Old     (bsebllhglyknit)      Join Date: Jul 2007       07-20-2007, 9:57 PM Reply   
Haha I could sit at the launch ramp for hours on big holiday weekends where all the families have rented seadoos and trying to put them in the water screaming at each other... haha mindless entertainment.
Old     (rbc_racing)      Join Date: Jan 2007       07-21-2007, 7:17 AM Reply   
We had one last sunday, it was just about to start raining so we were went to the dock and dropped off my buddy to back the truck down while we put everything away in the boat. When I see my trailer coming down I start heading for the ramp, thats when I encounter the idiot. theres a 25 ft boat floating lengthwise in the middle on a 3 boat ramp about 60 ft from the waters edge. I get closer to the idiot and he says "hey buddy, can you tow me in", I asked into where? he says up to the ramp. I told him that was as close as I would get him towing him anyway and he would have to swim it the rest of the way. His reply to that was we don't know how to swim. I told him he should be wearing an orange lifejacket if that was the case. Well one of my friends finally felt bad for him and jumped in and swam a rope to the guy and pulled him in, we pulled my boat out quickly to avoid them running into it as they beached there boat on the ramp. My friend that helped them, ended up having to back the trailer down the ramp and put the boat back on the trailer for them before he could leave. I normally will help anybody and I have given numerous tows, but seriously this guy was floating at the ramp and his boat wouldn't start, but he couldn't swim and didn't have a paddle or a rope on his boat.