Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (tings00)      Join Date: Aug 2005       12-18-2011, 11:11 AM Reply   
All of a sudden our laptop wont start properly. It freezes at the windows welcome screen. When I restart it, it goes to a start-up repair option and says it cant fix it and gives this message:

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: StartupRepairOffline
Problem Signature 01: 6.1.7600.16385
Problem Signature 02: 6.1.7600.16385
Problem Signature 03: unknown
Problem Signature 04: 21201066
Problem Signature 05: AutoFailover
Problem Signature 06: 11
Problem Signature 07: BadDriver
OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.1
Locale ID: 1033

Any idea on what is going on. From what i have read online it seems like it could be a bad driver and most likely need to be reset/reload the OS. If so how could I get pictures and music off of it. Any help is much appreciated. It is windows 7. I have reloaded an OS on another computer but have never gone in and retrieved data on a crashed laptop.
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       12-18-2011, 11:39 AM Reply   
You can take the drive out and put it in an external usb box to retrieve the files. Many computer have a section of the drive setup to restore the OS without deleting files. It does wipe the registry such that most installed programs must be reinstalled.
Old     (tings00)      Join Date: Aug 2005       12-18-2011, 3:29 PM Reply   
My laptop is a toshiba satellite a505-s6980. I have the restore disks but I thought they only bring it back to out of the box status. How would i figure out if I can reset it without erasing the files
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       12-18-2011, 6:39 PM Reply   
You could call tech support. I think the restore leaves the files intact.
Old     (pesos)      Join Date: Oct 2001 Location: Texas       12-18-2011, 10:27 PM Reply   
Restore will wipe the disk so don't do that yet.
Old     (buffalow)      Join Date: Apr 2002       12-19-2011, 7:34 AM Reply   
There should be an option when you put in the disks that allow you to update drivers and not lose everything else.You can definitely remove the drive and connect it to another computer and pull the stuff off. You should have received a Toshiba Driver disc and you can probably install from there. Also you can probably download those off their site.
Old     (pesos)      Join Date: Oct 2001 Location: Texas       12-19-2011, 2:35 PM Reply   
that's if he could get into windows, which is kind of the root problem.

i assume you've tried safe mode with no luck.

either yank the drive, or look into a 3rd party boot disc that will let you copy the stuff off to a usb drive before wiping and restoring (you can do this with a regular windows setup disc too but you gotta be a little handy with the command line)