Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (jerasu98)      Join Date: Aug 2005       01-31-2010, 1:03 PM Reply   
I am buying an external hard drive for a present, but don't know too much about them. She has a macbook air and is going to use it for general photo and music storage nothing too high tech. I was thinking about 1 TB for the size and something portable. Thanks
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       01-31-2010, 1:14 PM Reply   
You need to decide between USB powered and external power. The USB powered are smaller, lighter, and about 2x the price for the same capacity.
Old     (magellan)      Join Date: Feb 2003       01-31-2010, 3:10 PM Reply   
1 TB is really really large if you are using it for photos and music only.
I would grab a USB powered 500GB. You could find one for $100 at Best Buy.
So she must be the one person who bought the MacBook Air.
Old     (wakeboardingdad)      Join Date: Aug 2008       01-31-2010, 6:46 PM Reply   
Go USB powered! I bought one for my son (all USB) and complain every time I have to plug my old external power supply type in the wall!

(Message edited by wakeboardingdad on January 31, 2010)
Old     (jerasu98)      Join Date: Aug 2005       02-01-2010, 6:13 PM Reply   
Thanks. Talked to some tech type guys at work and they said 500mb usb was more then enough. I just didn't know if brands made much difference. I am sure I am opening up for plenty of comments but what's wrong with the macbook air? Granted I use a 1999 Gateway that has never been upgraded so everything is better then my pc. Just waiting until I can justify a macbook pro 17inch
Old     (zo1)      Join Date: Aug 2002       02-01-2010, 9:56 PM Reply   
Screw the USD drive if you can eat the extra money get a has drive. All of your computers will be able to access it over your network. No finding the drive, no plugging in anything at all.