Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through February 17, 2004

Old    mjones47            02-04-2004, 5:06 AM Reply   
I have just bought a 97 Malibu Response LX and now need to get insurance. What do I need and what kind of price is resonable. I have checked with Progressive but there quote seemed high to me. Any suggestions would be apprecated.
Old     (gizel)      Join Date: Dec 2002       02-04-2004, 5:38 AM Reply   
Call Boat US, I called Progressive and they were a waste of time. More than 3 times what I pay for my X-Star. There are a couple of others out there, do a search on the board and you will see a bunch of different posts http://www.boatus.com/
Old     (sw1)      Join Date: Nov 2003       02-04-2004, 7:28 AM Reply   
West Mar Marine Ins.

We saved $500/year by switching from Progressive.

A couple of questions that are good to ask that I got from this site are:

Is it a all risk policy?

Cover under water obstacles?

Freezing (if that is applicable for you)?

Pollution Ins.?

Tow Liability (most of the time your vehicle ins. only cover the actual tow vehicle --so it would be good to check that)

Navigation Limits?

Also keep in mind you want a policy that will replace full cost of the boat from when you purchased it---Our Progressive policy worked on a prorated system--the older the boat the less money you would get back in the event of a accident.
Old     (typhoon)      Join Date: Jul 2001       02-04-2004, 7:58 AM Reply   
wesmar is the only way to fly. a tiny bit more in price but will cover everything with no questions asked according to my buddy at the boat shop.
Old     (wakehound)      Join Date: Oct 2003       02-04-2004, 7:58 AM Reply   
Check out this article; http://www.wakeworld.com/Articles/2002/insurance.asp. Rick (Blastmaster) is a regular on this forum, and is always ready to answer questions. There's a lot of good info in the article too.

mb
Old     (blastmaster)      Join Date: Aug 2001       02-04-2004, 8:24 AM Reply   
Sorry guys Westmar program is only licensed for 7 western states right now so he wont be able to access. Progressive is a good policy. Go to safeco.com and find a local agent and get a quote. Foremost writes a good package too. Read the Ski Safe policy closley there is an exclusion for air chairs and kites. Boat US is a good pkg as is Leisurecraft.

States Westmar program is available in are: Ca,Ore,Nv,Wa,Az,Id,NM,
Hit me back if you have any questions.

Rick
Old     (mcfatty)      Join Date: Apr 2003       02-04-2004, 8:34 AM Reply   
For Tennessee, my experience is Grange Insurance.

Give me a value of the boat and age of drivers and I can give you a quote.

Every situation is different and some companies rates might be great for one and the same company's rates come back outragous for another.

so it pays to shop around
Old     (txmotorcop)      Join Date: Dec 2003       02-04-2004, 11:26 AM Reply   
I have american modern home insurance company through hocon inc.dba anchor marine.. it was the cheapest policy and still had what the other company's cover. ph#281-291-9414 or 1-800-543-2644
Old    dlb988            02-04-2004, 11:38 AM Reply   
Try State Farm.

I was suprized. They gave me the best qoute by far.
Old    tommyadrian5            02-04-2004, 12:22 PM Reply   
How much do you all pay for insurance. I pay $700 a year and i'm wondering if i'm high or low.
Old    stevenf            02-04-2004, 12:43 PM Reply   
i pay 400 a yr boatersinsurance is the name of the company. Key marine also has some good rates
Old    tigejohn21i            02-04-2004, 1:02 PM Reply   
I have progressive. I think I paid about $700 a year.. it covers idiot boater mistakes, like hitting a sand bar etc.. some don't cover that.
Old     (levi)      Join Date: Feb 2001       02-04-2004, 1:42 PM Reply   
Mine - State Farm- is in the $300's..but I have a 1990 Sport Nauty..not a really new boat. I still really need to review the policy to see their coverages as I was in a hurry and it was just easier to go w/ them as it is my truck insurance also.
Old     (mcfatty)      Join Date: Apr 2003       02-04-2004, 2:16 PM Reply   
Before you start to compare prices, you have to take in account the year of the boat, your age, your state and value of the boat.

States TN and KY have higher class mutipliers than some other surrounding states.
Old     (h2oskeefreek)      Join Date: Jan 2004       02-04-2004, 4:48 PM Reply   
West marine now owns boat US, so we should be avialable in every state. I've never checked into it, but i manage the store in Columbia, SC, and we advertize it in my store.
Old     (txmotorcop)      Join Date: Dec 2003       02-04-2004, 10:21 PM Reply   
i pay $416 year anchor marine
Old    mjones47            02-05-2004, 6:29 AM Reply   
Thanks for the suggestions. I had priced insurance with progressive and they were what I thought was unresonably high. I went to my local state farm agent who all my families policies are with and they gave me a pretty good deal. I am covered pretty well for around $400 a year. I went ahead and insured the tower to. I worked an OEM Skylon Classic swoop tower into the deal with the boat. Man I can not wait to ride.
Old     (uga33)      Join Date: Jul 2003       02-05-2004, 7:48 AM Reply   
I pay $385.00 year with Travlers.
Old    hockeyruss            02-05-2004, 8:00 AM Reply   
Boat US, I pay $525 for a 2004 Wakesetter VLX.
Old     (mcfatty)      Join Date: Apr 2003       02-05-2004, 8:24 AM Reply   
I would think the tower would have to be insured separately due to it's bolted and a fixed part of the boat. It was in the price when you bought it there for it's part of the value that you insured.

Just don't want you paying for something you shouldn't.
Old    tommyadrian5            02-08-2004, 4:09 PM Reply   
Wow, that's cheaper than the $700 i pay. I had progressive as well and it seems they charge a fixed rate of $700. It is blanket coverage though(covers "idiot" damage). I just got a notice though saying my "arm" of progressive wasn't doing boat insurance anymore and i had to call some different "arm" of progressive to get the boat insurance renewed.