Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (Silverbullet555)      Join Date: May 2010       06-16-2011, 6:01 PM Reply   
After much deliberation I am going with 2 Group 31 Lead-Acid batteries for the boat.

I am looking at the Exide Commercial Group 31 has 925 CCA and 160 minutes of reserve.

I can get them for $100 at the local tractor supply company.

I would love to go with an AGM, but I just struggle justifying the cost and don't want to have to buy a new charger, worry about my motor being able to fully charge them or worry about my ACR linking up or staying linked up and draining the battery.

I can get a similar interstate for $108.

Thoughts.
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       06-16-2011, 6:25 PM Reply   
Sounds good, I'm convinced agm batteries aren't worth the cost unless you have space issues or need to lay a battery on their sides. Go with whichever has the better warranty.
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       06-16-2011, 9:05 PM Reply   
I think its a smart, cost effective play too. Those group 31/29's typically have around 115 amp hours and are about $100-$120. I just put two Everstart Maxx-29 (marine) batteries in my buddies boat and solved his voltage issue as well as play time for just over $200 and the gas it cost to run to the nearest Wal Mart. Remember there's about 5 battery manufacturers so most of these batteries are just relabeled.
Old     (Silverbullet555)      Join Date: May 2010       06-16-2011, 9:31 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by hatepain View Post
I think its a smart, cost effective play too. Those group 31/29's typically have around 115 amp hours and are about $100-$120. I just put two Everstart Maxx-29 (marine) batteries in my buddies boat and solved his voltage issue as well as play time for just over $200 and the gas it cost to run to the nearest Wal Mart. Remember there's about 5 battery manufacturers so most of these batteries are just relabeled.
I'm going to check Napa tomorrow before my final purchase. I have heard that some napa batteries are made by Deka. They also have a group 31 that has a bit more power in CCA and RC for not much more. I want to see what my price is since I get discounts from Napa.
Old     (h2ohangtime)      Join Date: Aug 2002       06-17-2011, 9:02 AM Reply   
I think it's smart to do it that way as well. I just expanded my battery system from one to three (across two banks) and just used some deep cycle batteries from Costco (group 27)'s with 115 aH apiece. I can always "upgrade" to AGM's later, but doing it this way was low-risk and cost effective.
Old     (Silverbullet555)      Join Date: May 2010       06-17-2011, 6:22 PM Reply   
Stopped at Napa and bought 2 Deka 1131MXF batteries for $102 each. They have 1190 CA, 950 CCA and 180 reserve.

Before I install I will check to see what the cost difference will be to go with the Deka 1231MF to get a bit more in capacity. Just want to see the price. I went with studs and terminal adapters so I can rotate the two batteries in the boat. I bought a couple terminal adapter to adapt the studs to terminals.

Went with the Deka instead of the exide since there are napa auto's everywhere around here and I have heard nothing but good things about Deka.
Old     (wotan)      Join Date: Jul 2008       06-17-2011, 7:15 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by hatepain View Post
+1 I've had good luck with these. And if they die? Can always find an exact replacement for cheap. I run 3 of the 29s (I think) that are 125amp hours each. + starting battery.