Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (superair502)      Join Date: Mar 2010       08-06-2010, 11:17 PM Reply   
The post says it all. Though I don't think this is a power problem. It does this once it hits about 70 percent volume whether the boat is running or not. Volts show normal and it still happens whether running alot of other accessories or not
Old     (cdhayes2)      Join Date: Jul 2009       08-07-2010, 12:59 AM Reply   
I actually had a similar problem with our home theater system.. My problem ended up being that the wires somehow were touching where they connected to one of the speakers. Pulled the wires apart from each other and now we can run it at max volume.. Not saying it's your problem, but its worth a check! Could be at either the head units end, amp, or speakers..
Old     (ilikebeaverandboats)      Join Date: Jul 2007       08-07-2010, 1:04 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdhayes2 View Post
I actually had a similar problem with our home theater system.. My problem ended up being that the wires somehow were touching where they connected to one of the speakers. Pulled the wires apart from each other and now we can run it at max volume.. Not saying it's your problem, but its worth a check! Could be at either the head units end, amp, or speakers..
wouldnt a bad connection hurt it from the beginning?

Does the sound just stop or does the head unit actually turn off completely?
Old     (cdhayes2)      Join Date: Jul 2009       08-07-2010, 1:07 AM Reply   
I had kind of wondered the same thing. For some reason it would let me get it about half way up on the volume then shut off and flash 'overload' on the screen. I could run it all day though at half.
Old     (ilikebeaverandboats)      Join Date: Jul 2007       08-07-2010, 1:20 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdhayes2 View Post
I had kind of wondered the same thing. For some reason it would let me get it about half way up on the volume then shut off and flash 'overload' on the screen. I could run it all day though at half.
weird, I wonder why haha. Stuff gets to complex..but at the sametime so simple. I took an introduction to electrical engineering class last semester and this stuff is insane. Ill try and see what I can dig up, maybe that wicked expensive book can help here....if you guys wanna know how to build high/low pass filters i can help
Old     (superair502)      Join Date: Mar 2010       08-07-2010, 6:09 AM Reply   
The deck will actually start flickering a bit under hush volume and then shut completely off. After a few seconds it powers back up and keeps shutting off in the same manner until turned down.
Old     (superair502)      Join Date: Mar 2010       08-07-2010, 6:09 AM Reply   
Hard not hush hah
Old     (david_e_m)      Join Date: Jul 2008       08-07-2010, 9:30 AM Reply   
It can still be low voltage even when the boat voltage is good if there is a weak connection somewhere and relating to the stereo only. The bad connection could be internal or external to the source unit. A multi-meter can show low resistance or high voltage but there is very little current applied with a meter. When put to task with more current during play a weak connection can be exposed that is not necessarily measureable. At some point you've got to experiment with a substitute supply and ground. This is also the type of behavior you might see from water damage or corrosion. If your source unit is wired directly to speakers then verify that none of the channels are seeing a load lower than 4-ohms as this can create heat and shutdown problems. Remove one speaker at a time for a check in case you have a partially burnt speaker that is presenting an inordinately low load particularly when the speaker is heated from play. This check can also eliminate a short that is after a tweeter filtering capacitor that would be hard to measure or detect otherwise. In very large amplified systems bass dynamics can momentarily draw down the voltage below the source unit's turn on/off threshold. Try it out with zero tone emphasis, loudness contour or bass boost to see if the result changes. Bench check the source unit out of the boat to isolate the the source unit.

David
Earmark Marine