Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (brian_b)      Join Date: Dec 2009       02-17-2010, 7:39 PM Reply   
I'm installing the xxx in my 2003 MC x2 under the dash powered by the syn1 amp. I'm no expert at this stuff. The sealed box is easier to build and smaller, but I'm pretty sure I can fit the bigger vented. I'm using the specs in the owner's manual. What do you think?
Old     (factorykitted)      Join Date: Jul 2009       02-17-2010, 9:11 PM Reply   
20''x20''x16.75'' tuned to 40Hz - vented
Old     (tims72)      Join Date: Apr 2008       02-17-2010, 10:25 PM Reply   
agree with factorykitted. i also have the xxx slot ported under dash, and it doesnt get much better than that. 20"x20"x16.75"
Old     (brian_b)      Join Date: Dec 2009       02-18-2010, 1:36 AM Reply   
Ok, thanks for your replies, but that slot ported 20x20x16 won't fit. I'm talking about the sealed vs. the triangle vented in the manual.
Old     (factorykitted)      Join Date: Jul 2009       02-18-2010, 5:56 AM Reply   
vented with out a doubt
Old     (wetsounds1)      Join Date: Jan 2006       02-18-2010, 7:13 AM Reply   
Brian,

Vented is the best option for the XXX. It is night and day. I designed the triangle port box in the manual as it is as easy to build as a sealed. Pretty much a sealed box with an extra piece at an angle creating the port.

This box has great output. The large slot loaded ported box is a monster with monster output. I added that one as there were some that had the room to go bigger and wanted more etc..

Since you are size limted. Go for the triangle port for sure.

Tim
Wet Sounds
Old     (brucemac)      Join Date: Dec 2005       02-18-2010, 8:18 AM Reply   
i'd be curious to know if you can get the xxx ported box under your dash and how this pans out for you. i have the same boat same year. i pulled my current ported sub out to give a quick measure (which by the way already sticks out past the original kick plate) and there was just no way at least at first glance. maybe a pro could do it with some serious re-arranging, but it just didn't look feasible. the heater core and fan takes up quite a bit of room under there as well. do you have a heater? please post back and let us know what you do, or pm me please. i'd be really curious how it pans out for you. thanks.

(Message edited by brucemac on February 18, 2010)
Old     (david_e_m)      Join Date: Jul 2008       02-18-2010, 8:57 AM Reply   
Brian,

Definitely vented for more output and authority. Its like removing the governor, particularly with this woofer.

To a limited degree, a vented enclosure can be remodeled to tune at the same frequency with a different size enclosure. So if its close you're still in the game.

David
Earmark Marine
Old     (jrichard)      Join Date: Aug 2001       02-18-2010, 9:15 AM Reply   
Brian--I sent an email to the acct listed in your profile.
Old     (brian_b)      Join Date: Dec 2009       02-18-2010, 10:58 AM Reply   
Thanks for everyone's input. A LOT.

Bruce, I don't have a heater, so I'm fairly confident I can fit it in there, I'm gonna lose some foot room I'm sure. I've already substantially built the sealed, and it fits ez. So, I figure I'm gonna build the 4 walls of the vented sub and squeeze it in.

I can post pics after I'm done, but this is my first enclosure, so it ain't gonna be pretty!
Old     (brucemac)      Join Date: Dec 2005       02-18-2010, 1:28 PM Reply   
Brian

no heater core/fan helps a LOT. it takes up a good chunck of space and there's not a lot of room to re-locate so i guess i'm out of luck.

just as an fyi, the guys that did my current enclosure built a box, glassed it with fiberglass/epoxy resin so it was waterproof, then they built an L-shaped carpeted "false wall" that had the contour of the starboard side hull on the right side, and then it turned the corner on the left hand side of the enclosure which then disappears under the dash next to the walkthrough wall. it gives a clean carpeted appearance of the old kickplate, but it does stick out a few more inches from where the current one used to be. just something to think about as i'm almost positive if you go ported you won't be getting your old carpeted kick plate back in there. good luck and be sure to post up pics. i'm jealous because i really wanted to replace my current with the XXX/Syn1 combo. just not willing to give up my heater. :-)
Old     (jonyb)      Join Date: Nov 2008       02-18-2010, 8:57 PM Reply   
Upload
Upload
Upload
Old     (chattwake)      Join Date: Jan 2010       02-19-2010, 5:35 AM Reply   
I've got my XXX in a sealed box right now. If anyone has ane xtra ported box they want to sell, let me know!
Old     (brian_b)      Join Date: Dec 2009       02-19-2010, 7:50 AM Reply   
John B, thanks for those pics. I've seen them before during my research, and they are very helpful. I can only hope that mine come out as pro-style!
Old     (jonyb)      Join Date: Nov 2008       02-19-2010, 6:13 PM Reply   
Tom, I can build you one for your new boat if you wanna come up this way.... We met at Wakefest in 08, I hang out up there with Haugy. My shop is 2 hours north of him.
Old     (jonyb)      Join Date: Nov 2008       02-19-2010, 6:17 PM Reply   
A couple more. 1 is a pic from under my port-side console, the other is under the helm of Centurion with a heater. They have quite a bit more space then most boats from what I've noticed.

Upload
Upload