Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through September 24, 2009

Old     (dnp33)      Join Date: Jan 2007       09-19-2009, 4:56 PM Reply   
so i was just wondering if there were any differences between wakeboarding handles and ski handles. i know wakeboarding handles are usually bigger i'm assuming for easier handle passes but would using a wakeboard handle for skiing have any negative effects.
Old     (skelley19)      Join Date: Aug 2008       09-19-2009, 5:11 PM Reply   
Yes most ski handles are made of rope that has a lot of stretch in it whereas a wakeboard handle ideally should be no or low stretch. That is the same reason why it's also best to use a wakeboard mainline instead a ski mainline. You can definitely use a ski setup but a good wakeboard rope and handle are well worth the price.
Old     (dnp33)      Join Date: Jan 2007       09-19-2009, 5:18 PM Reply   
yeah i understand that a wakeboard rope and handle are worth the price for wakeboarding, but like i said i'm talking about using a wakeboard handle for skiing. not the rope either, we have a ski rope, i just mean the handle.
Old     (snork)      Join Date: Jun 2007       09-19-2009, 6:03 PM Reply   
Wakeboard handle will work just fine for waterskiing
Old     (wakemitch)      Join Date: Jun 2005       09-19-2009, 8:12 PM Reply   
slalom skiers generally need a grippier rubber handle so they dont pop the handle on a hard cut. wakeboard handles are really soft and comfortable but dont have a lot of grip because you dont really need it for wakeboarding.

if you arent hitting the course then it doesnt matter about the handle really
Old     (dohboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       09-19-2009, 9:42 PM Reply   
I think the wakeboard handles are a little wider to spread your arms out for better balance.
Old     (skelley19)      Join Date: Aug 2008       09-20-2009, 7:30 AM Reply   
Sorry about that David, I mis-read your question. As Mitch said, if you are not hitting the slalom course then a wakeboard handle should work just fine for skiing.
Old     (dnp33)      Join Date: Jan 2007       09-21-2009, 10:07 AM Reply   
rich i'm pretty sure your supposed to grab in the centre of the handle so that its level during spins, but yeah it will be being used for the slalom course.
oh well, we'll just have to deal with the less grip. gloves will help.
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       09-21-2009, 10:29 AM Reply   
it will work fine. I wouldn't say slalom handles have more grip, I'd actually say the opposite (especially with no gloves), but they have a more durable grip to handle the rougher conditions, pulls, etc. And are better used with gloves. If you aren't using gloves, or doing the course, the wake handle will work fine, but you'll likely tear it up quicker, especially if it's got a softer material.