Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 01, 2004

Old    ilovetrains            07-01-2004, 1:11 PM Reply   
Only MB does this, right? Why don't more manufactures offer this option?
Old    zboomer            07-02-2004, 5:57 AM Reply   
I haven't ridden in an MB with 2-speed tranny, but I've ridden on tons of boats with single speed, and have never thought, "Gee, I wish this thing had two speeds."

Maybe that's why? :-)

One benefit an inboard has always had over an i/o is simplicity, and when you start having multiple-speed tranny's, etc. you're taking away some of that advantage, imo.

On the flip slide, maybe they're on to something. I'd like to hear some opinions from those who've driven one.
Old    mb_girl            07-02-2004, 8:55 AM Reply   
The reason behind the 2-speed is that the B52 is such a big boat with so much factory ballast that the 2 speed helps it get up to speed & out of the hole. I do agree that it is one more thing to go wrong, but I'm sure the same things were said about v-drive units when they first came out.

With that said, I've never been in or behind one so I'm just speaking from what I've read about the boat.
Old    hyperryd            07-02-2004, 12:22 PM Reply   
I've said it before, but I love my two speed. When I was shopping for my boat, I didn't think the two speed was worth the price. I decided to test drive the B-52 with the two speed. I was hooked. Now I have a tough time driving single speed V-drives. You get so used to being able to down shift and jump back on plane. Until you drive one fully weighted down and loaded with people you can't truely appreciate it.
Old    zboomer            07-02-2004, 12:26 PM Reply   
Sounds like drugs. As long as I don't try it, I won't know what I'm missing.
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       07-02-2004, 12:43 PM Reply   
how hard are the shifts? (does it feel like a Caddy or a dragster?) who's the mfr of the 2 speed units?
Old     (cdm)      Join Date: Aug 2003       07-02-2004, 7:51 PM Reply   
Do you have to start in low gear? Can the boat plane off when fully weighed in 2nd gear? Hurry... lol
Old    hyperryd            07-02-2004, 9:36 PM Reply   
The shifts are as hard as you make them. You shift with a switch on the throttle lever. If you shift at 5000 rpm it is going to be a hard shift. If you back it off right before you shift, like a stick shift, you can barely notice it shift. MB says you can shift at full throttle all you want without any problems. After hearing the hard shift, I decided not to test thier theory. The second gear is the same as a single speed. Yes, you can get on plane in second, it just takes alot more time and fuel.
Old    hlboatsnboards            07-03-2004, 5:50 AM Reply   
i must be spoiled by the original tranny's b/c half the time I just give it some gas, let cruise take over and forget about most of my driving responsibilities. I like not having to get up to speed, back off the throttle, shift, give it more gas, down shift...my .02 of course, but hell I am about as lazy as they come.

Bill
Old    skihardkore            07-04-2004, 11:22 AM Reply   
This shifting business sounds fun. Although, sometimes when i'm tired i do love to just let the boat drive itself and shifting would be a little annoying. So, is it an automatic clutch like an ATV? It's obviously a manual gearbox, so I guess it must be an automatic clutch??
Old    hyperryd            07-05-2004, 7:37 PM Reply   
I guess I've never been so lazy, that I couldn't flick my thumb to make a better pull. Now that I think about it that must be why my thumb is so strong now.