Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (wakeboardin2k4)      Join Date: Sep 2006       12-14-2012, 7:33 AM Reply   
First time tinting with the help of a friend who has done it before. We tried it on the center section of a windshield last night but kept getting wrinkles. After looking about 10 steps ahead in the directions they stated that this particular tint would not work with contoured surfaces.

The directions suggested that I get strips and do it that way? But I have to figure thats going to look pretty crappy. Anyone have suggestions on tinting a boat windshield...besides to pay someone else

Last edited by wakeboardin2k4; 12-14-2012 at 7:35 AM.
Old     (david_e_m)      Join Date: Jul 2008       12-14-2012, 8:21 AM Reply   
You need an automotive film that will wet or dry (slip agent) heat shrink to follow the curvature of the glass. Flat glass film won't cut it. If you do not have divisions in the front corners of the winshield then these are often compound curves and that complicates the level of skill required to avoid fingers/wrinkles and eventual lifting in the more stressed locations. Strips look awful and the invisible seams can turn into visible gaps over time. Cheaper films have very little protection from UV damage to the interior of the film and boats see more interior exposure than most vehicles. My advice is to pay someone to do it right or live without it.

David
Earmark Marine
Old     (wakeboardin2k4)      Join Date: Sep 2006       12-14-2012, 8:33 AM Reply   
the tint is actually not intended for daily or even weekly use. I am doing it on a stock boat for a local boat show. Just trying to make it prettttay
Old     (david_e_m)      Join Date: Jul 2008       12-14-2012, 8:41 AM Reply   
Cool. Just as long as it doesn't come out looking shetttay.
Old     (bass10after)      Join Date: Feb 2010       12-14-2012, 9:07 AM Reply   
^^^^^ that made me laugh david hahahaha
Old     (Truekaotik)      Join Date: Jun 2012       12-14-2012, 11:04 AM Reply   
Automotive window film is a must... Any other film will look just like David said no matter what unless you work with it daily.. I would just get auto tint and do it right the first time
Old     (wakeboardin2k4)      Join Date: Sep 2006       12-14-2012, 12:47 PM Reply   
i got the tint from an autozone....probably not the best quality out there.

I must assume it was automotive right?
Old     (Truekaotik)      Join Date: Jun 2012       12-14-2012, 1:33 PM Reply   
You got it from autozone and it said not for daily or weekly use? What's the name of it? The automotive tint they have is just fine to use, it is old technology from 10 years ago or so but it will work.. It just turns purple fast because its dyed... The newer films are made different now. Seriously you shouldn't have a issue if its what I think it is... Remember tint only shrinks one way, top to bottom. Film goes on the inside of the glass as well...
Old     (wakebrdr94)      Join Date: Jul 2010       12-14-2012, 2:02 PM Reply   
A heat gun will help you in your quest. Especially on curved glass. You'll need to cut the film to size, form it to the glass, then apply the film. A boat is not the easiest to learn on.