Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (beleza)      Join Date: Mar 2010       08-12-2010, 11:15 AM Reply   
Alright well I've always been a nautique guy (minus the new fct5 tower!), but came across a good deal on a 1992 MC prostar 205. I just sold my 88 ski nautique 2001 because I wanted something open bow, so I decided to jump on the MC.

I originally thought this boat has the same hull as the current X-1 and older x-stars, but after doing some research it sounds like it is not the same hull. I was kind of bummed about that because of all the good things I have heard about the X-1 wake. So can I still get a quality wake from the 92 205? I plan on running around 1200-1500 lbs ballast. Anyone have any advice on how to weight the thing?

Thanks
Old     (beleza)      Join Date: Mar 2010       08-12-2010, 5:25 PM Reply   
Also, will the wake be decent?
Old     (snowboardcorey)      Join Date: Jan 2004       08-12-2010, 7:54 PM Reply   
The hull is different than the X-1 but you can still build a great wake out of it. My buddy had a 94' which is the same hull, we rode it since before fat sacs so over the years the set up changed but overall you can pretty much pig the boat out. We started with zero ballast and ended up with the entire floor covered in fat sacs (much better!) Keep the basics of boat weighting in mind and you can't go wrong.
Old     (jeffcanary62)      Join Date: Apr 2003       08-12-2010, 10:25 PM Reply   
http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showt...=riding+7-7-10

all the riding was behind my 92 205. Every day weight set up 440's either side of the motor, 350 tube sac in the locker, 250 all the way forward in the bow, 400 tube sac in front of the rear seat. Also Take the rear seat out and add a 600 sac plus everything else for more fun when there arnt many peopel on the boat. I reproped it and have never not gotten the boat on plane and if tried pretty hard to load it up.

If ridden the x-1 a lot and its similar and other people i ride with have made the same comments. Enjoy the boat
Old     (brhanley)      Join Date: Jun 2001       08-13-2010, 3:17 PM Reply   
My parents used to have that exact boat. It was really a lot of fun and better than most wakes back in the day. Throws a really good ski wake too and great multi-use boat. We'd run different set ups, but the fat seat in back (1200) in place of the rear set with a fat sac up front seemed to do pretty well. If you had more sacs and lead, you could probably do a much better job of distributing the weight and maxing out. I doubt the wake is as big as the newer 205/X-1 hull as the old 205 sits much lower in the water and not as much to sink (or many of the other newer V-Drive and bigger boats) and the bottom seems much less of a V, but the wake was still good. I always wished we had a tower on that boat as I felt our pole pulled the boat side-to-side a bit due to the lack of deeper V. Knowing more now, more weight up front might have helped there. But, it's almost 20 years old at this point, so not gonna be top of the line but will probably compare favorably to your 2001 (less vert, more rampy but still kick). Check it out and enjoy....
Old     (beleza)      Join Date: Mar 2010       08-14-2010, 11:18 AM Reply   
Thanks for the replies. Took the boat out this morning and boarded with no weight in the boat and the wake was well, small. I just aquired 4 550 lb sacs so I will probably start by throwing a couple on the sides of the engine and one up front and see how that goes. Good news is that it ran great!