Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through May 19, 2006

Old    wake_and_bake            05-01-2006, 12:53 AM Reply   
Does anyone know where i can buy a wedge for a 1985 2001.
Old     (anodyne)      Join Date: Feb 2006       05-01-2006, 1:04 AM Reply   
I would highly recommend against it... Malibu boats are built specifically for use with the Wedge, and feature bulked-up transoms and special components to accommodate the Wedge. There's the potential that it could basically destroy the back end of your boat.

Plus, the wedge affects the wake in weird ways... none of the pros actually use it. I know water/lead is a pain, but it's really the only way to go.

Sorry to rain on your parade!!
Old     (krbaugh)      Join Date: Mar 2002       05-01-2006, 7:43 AM Reply   
Wedge no
Switch blade sure http://www.switchbladewake.com/

The wedge is no longer the only game in town
Old     (yosquire)      Join Date: Jun 2005       05-01-2006, 9:17 AM Reply   
They show up on E-Bay every now and again. Though, the wedge is designed to pull the rear end of a 98" beam wakesetter down. I'd think it'd be too much down force for the 2001.
Old     (bremsen)      Join Date: Aug 2005       05-01-2006, 10:33 AM Reply   
Actually, the switchblade must be installed on a flat transom, which the SN2001 does not have.
Old     (krbaugh)      Join Date: Mar 2002       05-01-2006, 10:47 AM Reply   
Actually the switchblade needs a large enough flat place to mount the blade. the entire transom does not have to be flat The owner also said an adapter plate could also be fabricated to mount the blade to almost any transom

(Message edited by krbaugh on May 01, 2006)
Old     (bremsen)      Join Date: Aug 2005       05-01-2006, 10:49 AM Reply   
I didn't get that far into it with him. He said flat transom so I let it go.
Old     (norcalmalibu)      Join Date: Jun 2004       05-01-2006, 12:32 PM Reply   
on an old boat like that I would be afraid it would rip the transom off! I own a 89 and for sure I would not put that kind of extra stress on the hull its bad enough with sacs.
Old     (robandrus)      Join Date: Feb 2002       05-01-2006, 9:10 PM Reply   
OK, I'm an old IO guy even though I currently own an inboard. Doesn't this defeat the point of having an inboard by having the huge outdrive like contraption hanging off the back of the boat? Just buy an IO if you want this, you can do the same thing, just adjust the wake with the trim tabs.

If a fin like the switchblade does work, I have an idea --- I don't know how to do this its just an idea--- Why not put side fins on the rudder that could be adjusted up or down. Or a blade that could be droped down through the bottom of the hull to create the down pressure. Thus keeping the benefits of the inboard with out a huge thing on the back of the boat.