Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (ryan_shima1)      Join Date: Sep 2002 Location: Layton, Utah       06-17-2012, 5:17 AM Reply   
Jamie, maybe it's just water time that's needed. I'm not sure how much you get out each week but could that be the issue? It could be both the new setup & the new wake. Is the wake bigger than you're use to? If so, make sure you're waiting to the top of the wake to get the full pop. I normally see people throwing their tricks a bit early when they go to a bigger wake because their use to riding a smaller one. Any video to post up so we can see and give more accurate feedback?
Old     (Wiatowski)      Join Date: Aug 2011       06-17-2012, 5:44 AM Reply   
Ya the wake is bigger.... I think you nailed it with the timing issue.... I usually get out once or twice a week for 2-3 sets... I've only been out for 2 15min. sets. One on Friday, and one on Sat.... I'm sure it will come with time.... was just feeling really off and discouraged. I did a tantrum... well attempted and only went 90 degrees and landed on my side.... My wife got a picture, just as I threw it, you can see I threw it way to early. Water time a definite must... will say I love the new wake, it's taller and a lot more firmer than what I've been riding the past couple of years. Just going to start again with the basics for the next few sets until I get use to everything.
Hard for the wife to get video, or pics for that matter... she's driving and watching the 4 kids... Awesome wife!!! she got this one on Friday.
Old     (ryan_shima1)      Join Date: Sep 2002 Location: Layton, Utah       06-17-2012, 6:50 AM Reply   
Sweet pic Jamie! Just make sure to wait to the top of the wake and let it do the work for you.
Old     (gnarslayer)      Join Date: Sep 2008       06-17-2012, 8:52 AM Reply   
i like the contra and format much more than the paradigm on boat, flex is much more difficult to get a good pop off the wake.. you should all try the contra if you havent, it edges almost the same as the format but has more pop!
Old    9Drozd            06-17-2012, 2:02 PM Reply   
It threw me for a loop the first time out behind the wake. The Paradigm flexes so much compared to most other hybrid boards. They way It felt to me was it had more of a snowboard style pop as in you feel the entire wake through your edge up. I love the board now that I've gotten used to it. Tons of pop, super snappy, soft landings, and pretty fast.

Don't get discouraged, it took me a solid week to retrain my fundamentals. I had never ridden a flex board before this so I'm sure that had alot to do with it.
Old     (Wiatowski)      Join Date: Aug 2011       06-18-2012, 8:22 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnarslayer View Post
i like the contra and format much more than the paradigm on boat, flex is much more difficult to get a good pop off the wake.. you should all try the contra if you havent, it edges almost the same as the format but has more pop!
LOL... nice plug,and am planning on it.
Old     (Wiatowski)      Join Date: Aug 2011       06-18-2012, 8:27 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9Drozd View Post
Don't get discouraged, it took me a solid week to retrain my fundamentals. I had never ridden a flex board before this so I'm sure that had alot to do with it.
Thanks... I figure that by the time I get my form back the season will be over.
Old     (stang_killa_ss)      Join Date: Jan 2010       06-18-2012, 9:00 AM Reply   
alliance wake magazines test of 2012 gear. the riders gave the paragram a 3rd place finish over all. pretty damn impressive from Obrien. going up agains ronix, HL, LF, SS, etc.
Old     (tranner)      Join Date: Aug 2003       06-18-2012, 9:24 AM Reply   
With all this info on the Paradigm, I am strongly considering giving it a shot but at $540 it is quite a bit more pricey than some of the other flex options that I was considering (ie: Slingshot Response). Any suggestions on which website might be selling it for cheaper than $540?
Old     (Wiatowski)      Join Date: Aug 2011       06-18-2012, 11:58 AM Reply   
http://www.gandermountain.com/modper...B&merchID=4006

$450 ships to store for free.
Old     (Wiatowski)      Join Date: Aug 2011       06-18-2012, 12:01 PM Reply   
http://www.the-house.com/wakea-obrien.html
$319
Old     (stang_killa_ss)      Join Date: Jan 2010       06-19-2012, 12:11 PM Reply   
that second cheaper link is the old model
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       06-19-2012, 1:17 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by stang_killa_ss View Post
that second cheaper link is the old model
same board tho-
Old     (Readyaimfire)      Join Date: Jun 2012       06-19-2012, 3:43 PM Reply   
The obrien product looks killer this year! Seems to be making a comeback from a few quiet years.
Old     (xclay89x)      Join Date: Feb 2009       06-21-2012, 10:07 AM Reply   
Just bought my first O'brien board because of this thread. I got the Paradigm for cable, but I am going to try it behind boat. Not a huge flex fan for behind boat, but I am going to try it out. Super stoked! Thanks for all the great information.
Old     (Wiatowski)      Join Date: Aug 2011       06-21-2012, 1:17 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by xclay89x View Post
Just bought my first O'brien board because of this thread. I got the Paradigm for cable, but I am going to try it behind boat. Not a huge flex fan for behind boat, but I am going to try it out. Super stoked! Thanks for all the great information.
Another convert!!!! I use to ride Hyperlites... now I own 4 O'brien boards.

Hey Andy when you gonna post some new pics or video of you riding? JB seems to be doing his share... come on already!

Last edited by Wiatowski; 06-21-2012 at 1:19 PM.
Old     (TBell)      Join Date: May 2011       06-25-2012, 9:28 AM Reply   
After riding the Format for last season and the Contra for the beginning of this season, the Paradigm had an extremely weird feel to it when I first tried it. I wasn't sure if I was going to like it but I decided to give it a few more shots, and now I couldnt be happier! The Paradigm is without a doubt the best board I've ridden behind a boat (with the Format in second) and though there's no cable here in Alberta, I'm sure it's equally as good for that! As long as you edge properly the Paradigm has huge pop but still has those extremely soft landings. I actually had to lengthen my rope because it was boosting me far into the flats even when I didn't want to! I'm sure anyone would love the Paradigm, you just gotta get used to the feel!
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       06-25-2012, 10:18 AM Reply   
NICE ANOTHER PARADIGM LOVER. I have been going back and forth all season between the Paradigm and the Baker. The Baker is super fun! Its a little tigher edge than the Paradigm. Great for whiching!
Old     (svnfightsvn)      Join Date: Mar 2011       07-01-2012, 9:18 AM Reply   
My buddy just picked up a baker and I agree with Andy....its legit! Very light and super durable. He's done a bunch of dock slides on his neighbors dock (dont tell) and the base is still flawless. Looks like the day he got it still. I was a litttle worried about the small molded in fin.s, but they track fairly well. I had probably the best set of the summer so far on it

Last edited by svnfightsvn; 07-01-2012 at 9:19 AM. Reason: spelling