Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (Barefooter81)      Join Date: Apr 2010       12-21-2010, 7:25 AM Reply   
I just received the latest newsletter from Malibu through INT and was reading through it and noticed the section where it outlines the touch screen. In it, Malibu claims to be the first company to have a 6.5" Touch Screen Control for 2011 but I am confused.... didn't Tige have that last year?
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       12-21-2010, 7:37 AM Reply   
I don't know anything about the Tige, but Malibu's touch screen covers everything . Start/stop, ballast, you name it.
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       12-21-2010, 7:46 AM Reply   
Yeah I was pretty sure Tige had one last year.
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       12-21-2010, 7:54 AM Reply   
Tige came out with the "touch screen" first, Malibu came out with the whole large in dash screen idea first and was the first to integrate a true touch control system that controls the entire boat from starting the boat to draining the ballast, it does it all. We'll see how it works out in the long run.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       12-21-2010, 11:02 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by 05mobiuslsv View Post
Tige came out with the "touch screen" first, Malibu came out with the whole large in dash screen idea first and was the first to integrate a true touch control system that controls the entire boat from starting the boat to draining the ballast, it does it all. We'll see how it works out in the long run.
That would scare me if I was looking at a new boat. Good thing I am no where near buying a new boat so I don't have to worry about it.
Old     (texastbird)      Join Date: May 2003       12-22-2010, 5:54 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by jarrod View Post
I don't know anything about the Tige, but Malibu's touch screen covers everything . Start/stop, ballast, you name it.
Single new interface for everything means that when the new gadget fails, so does everything else.
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       12-21-2010, 11:16 AM Reply   
^^^and you don't have to opt for the touch screen. I'm a gadget guy and they still scare me a little too, no working on those things if there's a problem. Killer idea though.
Old     (srock)      Join Date: Mar 2002       12-21-2010, 12:31 PM Reply   
now for those greasy fingers
Old     (msvinson)      Join Date: Dec 2010       12-21-2010, 12:57 PM Reply   
If I remember right, last year Tige had a key, but all the boat features were controlled through the screen.
Old     (ilikebeaverandboats)      Join Date: Jul 2007       12-21-2010, 1:30 PM Reply   
the wording allows them to say they were the "first" but in my opinion, tige did it first. its smarter NOT to have the touch screen system run everything. If the system takes a dump while your out on the water, that means NOTHING works and your stuck. I would like certain key features on their own separate system.
Old     (durty_curt)      Join Date: Apr 2008       12-21-2010, 7:45 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefooter81 View Post
I just received the latest newsletter from Malibu through INT and was reading through it and noticed the section where it outlines the touch screen. In it, Malibu claims to be the first company to have a 6.5" Touch Screen Control for 2011 but I am confused.... didn't Tige have that last year?
"the wording allows them to say they were the "first" but in my opinion, tige did it first."
- this comment is very true, does anybody know what size Tiges touch screen was? perhaps it was a 7.5" touch screen, or a 5.5" touch screen or even smaller. If Tige' made the touch screen in anysize except 6.5" then Malibus comment would be true. sadly it would be marketing splitting hairs on who did what first in what size
Old     (ajholt7)      Join Date: Apr 2009       12-22-2010, 6:05 AM Reply   
I'm not sure on the size of the Tige touch screen but I do know that it controls everything in the boat. Also if there is a problem with it there are manual switches under the dash.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       12-22-2010, 7:01 AM Reply   
"Single new interface for everything means that when the new gadget fails, so does everything else. "

If you loved the boat, and you were in the market, I doubt this stops anyone from thinking twice about buying a Malibu. If I see my dream boat, the last thing I'm thinking about is, "hmmm but what if the touch screen fails."

Might as well get used to it. In a couple of years, they will all be tough screen.
Old     (msvinson)      Join Date: Dec 2010       12-22-2010, 7:22 AM Reply   
REALLY GUYS! I know Tige has redundant switches under the dash so I am sure Malibu does to.
Old     (ilikebeaverandboats)      Join Date: Jul 2007       12-22-2010, 8:25 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by msvinson View Post
REALLY GUYS! I know Tige has redundant switches under the dash so I am sure Malibu does to.
Im not gonna assume until i see it on the malibu site or a first hand account.
Old     (bzubke1)      Join Date: Feb 2010       12-22-2010, 7:41 AM Reply   
Maliview is really cool, I'm just not sure I would like it. I like being able to look down and see everything without switching menus. I like switches and standard gauges. If one side of the boat is too heavy, hit a switch and drain that side without taking your eyes off the water. The one demonstration I saw of maliview looks like a lot of witching between menus, I'm not sure if it's actually like that but thats the way it seems.
Old     (talltigeguy)      Join Date: Sep 2003       12-22-2010, 9:38 PM Reply   
I can't believe that no one has mentioned that the maliview was available in 2009, right? Making them the first with a touch screen in a boat. Everyone else, including Tige, jumped aboard in 2010, IIRC.
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       12-23-2010, 10:16 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by talltigeguy View Post
I can't believe that no one has mentioned that the maliview was available in 2009, right? Making them the first with a touch screen in a boat. Everyone else, including Tige, jumped aboard in 2010, IIRC.
The malivue isn't touch screen.
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       12-22-2010, 11:29 PM Reply   
I believe there are two or more competing systems, the Medallion system and the Linc system that Nautique uses. I believe Medallion is the basis for Malibu, Mastercraft, Centurion, Tige, MB and several others. It seems that these systems are easier to install for manufacturers so they are likely to become standard on all boats once the volume is high enough to bring the cost below analog gauges. The cost of these touchscreen probably follow Moore's law.
Old     (cwkoch)      Join Date: Aug 2006       12-23-2010, 12:07 PM Reply   
Well, correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the new Malibu Touch Screen simply a new way of controlling the computer, which switches everything on and off, that was previously controlled by the MUX switches?? I'm guessing the electronics in the boat are pretty similar to what's been in there since the MUX switches came out, they're just controlling it with a touch screen rather than MUX switches.

I've sat in a 2011 Malibu and played with the touch screen, it's really cool, and easy to use. Personally, I think it's easier to use than the MUX switches in my 2010, and quicker also.... No more going through page after page to find what you're looking for. I woudl take the touch screen over the MUX switches.
Old     (scottymc261)      Join Date: Mar 2009       12-24-2010, 1:31 PM Reply   
Nu Bu is right and the Touch is 6.5 too. I just bought a 2010 Tige RZ2 with the Touch...Sweet! Something is fishy here, we will see what happens! You can check out a demo of the Touch on Tige's' website, but they have done alot of updating to the touch that does not show on the demo. Like mine has chart ploting and rear-view camera.
Touch screen is the only way to go, ANYONE that doesnt want a touch screen must not have 4 in pumps, 4 out pumps, tower lights, heater, stereo, wake plate, etc...etc.. and so on.
hit one saved profile and you ballast, speed, wake plate is done, BAM! (im with you Charlie!) Now all i got to figure out is how to get the profile to save volume level and switch to Def Leppard! ;-)