Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through July 28, 2009

Old     (brainrinse)      Join Date: Aug 2007       07-14-2009, 10:17 AM Reply   
I can't find many pics of these things installed. Anyone have a pic of their Fusion P-series tower speakers they'd like to share?
Old     (brainrinse)      Join Date: Aug 2007       07-14-2009, 12:37 PM Reply   
This is the only pic I can find...

Upload
Old     (jetskiprosx)      Join Date: Aug 2004       07-14-2009, 3:03 PM Reply   
Those look pretty good! I saw that they are blowing them out on ebay and they look kind of goofy in the pictures. However, seeing them on a boat, I think they look good!
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       07-14-2009, 3:47 PM Reply   
Those actually do look sharp and I bet they sound good too when properly powered.
Old     (mb_kid)      Join Date: Jun 2009       07-14-2009, 5:31 PM Reply   
We just put these on our boat this weekend. My dad wants to powder coat the swooshes (surronds) black to match the boat and leave the cans chrome (until they peel). They sound great. For $200 bucks they are a steal. Our Fusions on our last boat started to peel after 3 years, but for the price, we will just powder coat them if the chrome starts to peel. No problem hearing them while riding, very clear.

Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Old     (brainrinse)      Join Date: Aug 2007       07-14-2009, 8:21 PM Reply   
looks good, thanks! anyone else have these installed?
Old     (jetskiprosx)      Join Date: Aug 2004       07-14-2009, 10:49 PM Reply   
I just bought a pair on Ebay for $115 shipped. They were $225 just a few weeks ago. I have heard of the chrome pitting but if they do I will just have them painted.
Old     (dhcomp)      Join Date: Jun 2003       07-15-2009, 8:03 AM Reply   
Watch the mounts. It is stainless cap screws threaded into aluminum. Vibration or frequent removal will strip them out. My buddies on the UCSB team had them, and one fell off after about 6 mo of use.
Old     (jetskiprosx)      Join Date: Aug 2004       07-15-2009, 9:03 AM Reply   
Thanks for the heads up dhcomp! I will remember to check those periodically.
Old     (allen)      Join Date: Apr 2005       07-15-2009, 9:35 AM Reply   
Patrick if you want to fix the problem thread the holes, and install Heli-Coils. Thta will make the threaded holes Stainless and then they will match the screws. Problem solved!!!
Old     (dhcomp)      Join Date: Jun 2003       07-15-2009, 9:41 AM Reply   
Helicoils aren't a bad idea. But, i would still be nervous, and look into adding another mount of some sort in addtion to the factory. those speakers are HEAVY for one bolt in one mount. Fine in the driveway, but after beating through chop on the lake, i would be afraid.

Besides that though, those speakers scream. THe set i heard was on a crappy no name 1000watt amp, and i heard them idle out over 1000 ft away. My buddies used to listen to them in the slalom course at 36mph.
Old     (brainrinse)      Join Date: Aug 2007       07-16-2009, 11:15 AM Reply   
How many ohms are these speakers?
Old     (helinut)      Join Date: Apr 2007       07-16-2009, 11:24 AM Reply   
I wonder if they would fit an Illusion tower... I want Wetsounds, but I just can't afford them this year.
Old     (jetskiprosx)      Join Date: Aug 2004       07-16-2009, 5:22 PM Reply   
Shawn, they probably won't fit in the stock locations but they should fit on the cross bar.
Old     (brainrinse)      Join Date: Aug 2007       07-20-2009, 10:47 AM Reply   
Upload
Old     (helinut)      Join Date: Apr 2007       07-20-2009, 1:44 PM Reply   
Yeah I was assuming they would go on the crossbar. May have to try them for that kind of money.
Old     (bltcollins)      Join Date: Feb 2007       07-20-2009, 2:16 PM Reply   
What amp are you guys running or planning to run these on? How many watts is fine since I probably can't afford the most preferable option. I picked up a pair since the price was right. I don't know anything about amplifiers or these speakers so feel free to educate me. Just couldn't pass up the deal. Thanks.
Old     (brainrinse)      Join Date: Aug 2007       07-20-2009, 2:19 PM Reply   
The big eBay closeout sale is done now. For those of you that scored a pair post some installed pics in here!
Old     (jetskiprosx)      Join Date: Aug 2004       07-20-2009, 2:24 PM Reply   
I am putting a RF P500.2 to these. Bridged it will produce 500RMS @ 4ohms so each pod will be seeing 250RMS. I will try to post a picture tonight of them on the tower. I had to an another amp rack to fit the amp cause I was never planning on adding tower speakers (or a 3rd amp). Everything is finished, I am just waiting for my power and ground wire to show up at the end of the week and then I will get to listen to them.

I really like the looks of the speakers from the bow (our boat is red and black) but I am not loving the front grills. I am thinking about painting them either red or black to match the boat and bimini top.
Old     (jeff_mn)      Join Date: Jul 2009       07-22-2009, 5:17 AM Reply   
Excited to hear some new reviews about the sound.

Brian - get yours hooked up man!
Old     (joe_crawley)      Join Date: Jan 2007       07-22-2009, 6:26 AM Reply   
I've heard them and was quite disappointed- they get loud but distortion starts early and they were outperformed by a single high end 6.5" coaxial. They are crazy heavy too for just a single clamp. Not surprised they couldn't sell these and cleared them out for pennies on the dollar. Definitely unique looking though, nice to see something different.

EDIT: For clarification- I tested these earlier this week- I bought a set in the clearance just to see how they were made. I compared one of these to a Fosgate T1652 coaxial using 120WRMS. No contest.

(Message edited by joe_crawley on July 22, 2009)
Old     (jetskiprosx)      Join Date: Aug 2004       07-22-2009, 2:03 PM Reply   
Did you put 120 RMS to the Fusions as well? I put 250RMS to each pod and they sounded really nice in my driveway today. I will get a real world (on the water with wind and engine noise) test tonight to see how they really sound. So far I am impressed with the sound quality and clarity. I played a bunch of different types of music as I tuned the system and they sounded great. They will definitely work well for swimming and surfing, but I don't know if they will be loud enough to hear well while boarding...