Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through July 28, 2009

Old     (jpuckett)      Join Date: Apr 2005       07-14-2009, 2:51 PM Reply   
Has anyone seen these boats? They have a comparison stern drive vs inboard on the website.

http://www.cobaltboats.com/comparison/wakes.html

Can it be any truth to this?
Old     (cowwboy)      Join Date: Jul 2008       07-14-2009, 2:57 PM Reply   
I got my popcorn ready....
Old     (jetskiprosx)      Join Date: Aug 2004       07-14-2009, 3:05 PM Reply   
They are one of the best teak surfing boats out there

All kidding aside, I think Cobalt's are the nicest I/O out there! Their build quality are up there with major inboard makers.
Old     (wakeride26)      Join Date: Dec 2006       07-14-2009, 3:26 PM Reply   
I sell Cobalt and I think it is funnier than hell that they put that crap on there website. It humors me every time I see it.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       07-14-2009, 3:29 PM Reply   
Nope.
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       07-14-2009, 3:40 PM Reply   
Gorgeous boats but one thing I hate about stern drives is they always seem to do the dual captains up front rather than wrap around which costs a few seats.

The funny thing about these comparisons is you never really see the reverse where and inboard is trying to say it's just as good as a stern drive...hmmm wonder why?
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       07-14-2009, 4:12 PM Reply   
Great boats for riding SkySki behind when it's choppy out. Nice wake & a very steady pull..... like many I/Os with adjustable trim & trim tabs can give you.

A friend of mine down in SoCal has an X-Star & an older 24' Cobalt with a tower on it. They ride on the Parker Strip a lot where conditions can be really good or really bad. Depending on what the conditions are like, they use the appropriate boat. Their Cobalt is like a 2005, has maybe 1000 lbs of ballast, trim tabs & the trimmable outdrive. If water conditions are crap, he can load it up with people, and give a rock solid steady pull to anyone who can handle it. A foil rider can ride above the chop & not be effected very much, especially if the tower & handle are steady. But I doubt many boarders have the knees to handle those conditions.
Old     (murphy_smith)      Join Date: Dec 2005       07-14-2009, 4:24 PM Reply   
You can put as much lipstick as you want on a pig...at the end of the day, it's still a pig.
Old     (mhunter)      Join Date: Mar 2008       07-14-2009, 4:42 PM Reply   
Cobalt is absolutely the finest runabout out there . That being said if you want a boat that goes,fast handles a chop and is very user friendly with a great interior layout Cobalt is the boat for you. If you are interested in water sports go with an inboard or v drive. They are made to pull NO io will compete with an inboard.
You cant surf or barefoot with a io. I owned one years ago I will never go back. If you want something that compares with Cobalt look at a
Nautique 210 and 230 SANTE they share the same high build quality.
Old     (alindquist)      Join Date: Mar 2004       07-14-2009, 5:30 PM Reply   
Sweet boat...Cobalts rule!!! At least last time I looked in my driveway...
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       07-14-2009, 5:37 PM Reply   
Cobalts may compare with Nautique in build quality, but they do not even begin to compare in ride quality when conditions get rough. Not even close.

(Message edited by bill_airjunky on July 14, 2009)
Old     (mhunter)      Join Date: Mar 2008       07-14-2009, 6:10 PM Reply   
Bill are you saying Colbalt or Nautique rides better in rough conditions?
Old     (tj_in_kc)      Join Date: Jan 2008       07-14-2009, 7:01 PM Reply   
If you HAD to get an I/O it wouldn't be as bad if it was a Cobalt, very nice boats.

I think we'd all take a Malibu, MC, Tige or Nautique anyday over that though.

still good boats.
Old     (kidder)      Join Date: Aug 2008       07-14-2009, 7:33 PM Reply   
Bill is right. Cobalts ride MUCH better than Nautiques when the water gets rough.
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       07-14-2009, 8:19 PM Reply   
I'm saying the Cobalt will ride better in the rough. It just has too many ways to defeat it, deep V hull, trim tabs, adjustable outdrive, & ballast. The end result is a stable handle when it's rough out. Any v-drive is going to bounce around a bit over the waves, which makes the tower move, which makes the handle move. So when I go up for a back roll with a tight line, and the boat moves over the waves, it can either yanks me out the front or go dead so I have no tight line to make adjustments with & land upright.
The Nautiques are great compared to all the other inboards, but I just think the I/Os have a lot more ways to beat the rough water. That said the I/Os don't have as good a wake because they don't respond to the weight in the same way as the v-drives. I'm just saying the Cobalt would be a really stable rough water ride. And about the only type of rider that can handle the rough water is a foil rider, either stand up or sit down.
Old     (mhunter)      Join Date: Mar 2008       07-15-2009, 6:10 AM Reply   
Bill
I agree with you and tj.I have always said if I ever get out of my tow boat and want a cruiser I would buy a Colbalt.
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       07-20-2009, 8:33 AM Reply   
As an owner of both a cobalt and a vdrive, I can say there is a reason we park the cobalt and board off the back of it with the Vdrive. Its a great boat for what it does best. Cruising,and rough water ride.

(Message edited by psudy on July 20, 2009)
Old     (bmartin)      Join Date: Jan 2007       07-20-2009, 9:37 AM Reply   
Might not be my first choice, but I wouldn't turn down a set behind one. Can't figure out why they still have a co-captain chair layout for a watersport series, but I digress.