Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (Jn94defender)      Join Date: Mar 2013       05-28-2013, 1:20 PM Reply   
Hello,

I wanted to hear peoples thoughts on the possibility of a dealer saying "it seemed like there may have been some clouding in the oil, but it WAS NOT a big issue and they just wanted to watch it. They did not feel that it was something that would affect the boats performance. According to XXX, it wasn't much of a concern at all"

Is that even possible? Seems like a pretty big deal to me and I would have wanted to know BEFORE I purchased a boat.

What do you guys think?

Thanks!
Old     (boardman74)      Join Date: Jul 2012       05-28-2013, 2:42 PM Reply   
If there is enough water in the oil to cause it to be cloudy I would say that is a problem for sure. I'd want to know where it came from.
Old     (phatboypimp)      Join Date: Apr 2005       05-28-2013, 4:04 PM Reply   
That is an enormous problem for a variety of reasons.
Old     (Twill)      Join Date: Oct 2012       05-28-2013, 4:46 PM Reply   
Cloudy or milky?
Old     (hco)      Join Date: Jun 2006       05-28-2013, 5:34 PM Reply   
Ditto on what Tom said. Difference between dirty vs. milky. Still never a great thing though.
Old     (bftskir)      Join Date: Jan 2004       05-28-2013, 8:14 PM Reply   
Is there a difference between cloudy and milky? not really-just a difference in how much water is in the oil...there should not be any water in the oil.

I'd agree with the dealer as long as you get them to put in writing that they will replace your engine without much concern at all and that to do it won't be a big issue at all.
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       05-29-2013, 7:13 AM Reply   
There is a slight possibility that some cloudiness in the oil is from condensation that had accumulated over a long period of sitting. It should be gone after a couple hours of running at the very most and the oil should then just look like oil. Most likely it is a big problem that would require an engine rebuild because oil should just look like oil.
Old     (jeventures)      Join Date: Jun 2012       05-29-2013, 7:22 AM Reply   
Hopefully it is as Art said. I've not had it happen to my boat but one of my motorcycles tend to build a little condensation when it sits for too long....it burns off after the engine has run at temp for a good 10 minutes. Not an issue in that circumstance. Check the oil after its been running at temp...unless it's more white than oil...then change it...which I hope would be obvious even to the dealer.
Old     (burban89)      Join Date: Nov 2006       05-29-2013, 11:44 AM Reply   
Have any additives been added to the oil? I know some stop leaks can make the oil cloudy/milky.
Old     (wakebordr11)      Join Date: May 2001       05-29-2013, 12:31 PM Reply   
How about you post a picture of the oil so we can view cloudy vs. milky and can evaluate good vs. bad...
Old     (will5150)      Join Date: Oct 2002       05-30-2013, 8:32 AM Reply   
it's pretty simple- if the oil looks like chocolate milk, that's a HUGE problem-blown head gasket is the most likely culprit, or possible cracked block.

If the Oil is cloudy or more brown/black, that's a burning issue- probably a bad valve or ring that's going out. I'd take both seriously.
Old     (hco)      Join Date: Jun 2006       05-30-2013, 9:07 AM Reply   
Also, if you are going to spend 25k+ on a used boat from a dealer, I would expect them to put up some kind of warranty, 30-60 day engine/drive sort of thing. Nothing to cover amps, rips/tears, gel, or physical damage- but they should stand behind their mechanics.