Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through March 15, 2006

Old     (fixin2wakeboard)      Join Date: Mar 2006       03-09-2006, 1:20 PM Reply   
I apologize if there is already a thread similar to this one, but I looked and couldn't find the info I needed.

I am looking at a 99 SAN, with all standard options, 740hours on GT-40 engine... It has tower and rear ballast 500# total.... Problem is, no perfect pass!

I am a beginner/intermidate wakeboarder, can I still get quality pulls without the perfect pass?

Thanks in advance.
Old     (crowmobe540)      Join Date: Mar 2004       03-09-2006, 1:24 PM Reply   
I will not buy another boat without it. If I did, I would drive straight to my dealer and have it installed. Nothing like being about to go out with an unexperienced driver and not have to worry
Old     (iagainsti)      Join Date: Apr 2004       03-09-2006, 1:29 PM Reply   
Yes you can get a quality pull w/o PP, it all depends on how good your driver is.
Old     (ttrigo)      Join Date: Dec 2004       03-09-2006, 1:35 PM Reply   
are you married? if so, do you want to stay married? trust me, get it. well worth it.
Old     (litlone873)      Join Date: Jan 2005       03-09-2006, 1:37 PM Reply   
Cory, are you married? Perfect Pass = Marriage Saver. If your boat doesn't have one, have it installed.

While you CAN get a good pull without one, having PP takes the variance away from driver to driver and gives you a more consistant run.
Old     (rgilby)      Join Date: Jan 2006       03-09-2006, 1:39 PM Reply   
marriage saver...LOL...so true. i dont have PP and the driving started some fights. what's PP worth in terms of $$$?? (if you can put a price on marriage...)
Old     (litlone873)      Join Date: Jan 2005       03-09-2006, 1:46 PM Reply   
$1,100-$1,500 to install after market... Worth Millions if you want to stay married or want sex again.
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       03-09-2006, 1:47 PM Reply   
Cory, if you have a god driver who always rides with you, and dont; have the cash now, it's not that big of a deal. Try negotiating the price of PP in the deal. Nowadays having PP is the norm on most wake boats. The seller should know that. I've ridden with some guys that if the PP breaks or malfunctions the day is ruined b/c they can't hold speed in a boat, lol. My final advice. BBD. There's always a Bigger Better Deal. IF this guy's not willing to deal, move to the next...
Old     (rodmcinnis)      Join Date: Sep 2002       03-09-2006, 2:22 PM Reply   
I have always said: it doesn't matter what your skill level as a driver is, what matters is how good you spouse/girlfriend is.

I consider myself to be a pretty good driver but I still prefer using the Perfect Pass. If I am controlling the speed I need to focus on it. If Perfect Pass is controling the speed I can watch the rider and enjoy driving a whole lot more

If my wife is driving Perfect Pass is a must!
Old     (greenthumb)      Join Date: Mar 2004       03-09-2006, 2:42 PM Reply   
I dont see the huge deal with Perfect Pass. While I agree that it is a great product and does exactly what it is supposed to do, I typically ride with my brother and friends and the only two that drive are him and I. Having said that I know his desired speed and he knows mine. I see a huge bonus like others mentioned if there are a few of you driving for eachother.
Old     (byrd)      Join Date: Dec 2005       03-09-2006, 2:48 PM Reply   
I would not make it a "deal breaker" on the boat if every thing else makes sence, but you might want to point out the PP is the industry standard. See if he will split it with you or knock off some $$ from the price.

I agree with everyone regarding the driving wife. Nothing worse than non-constant speed ruining a good run.....
Old     (litlone873)      Join Date: Jan 2005       03-09-2006, 2:58 PM Reply   
BTW... I'm a GOOD driving wife.

Having said that, I agree with Rod, you have three things to pay attention to while driving, the speed, what's in front of you and your rider. As good of a driver as you may be, having one less thing to worry about makes driving less stressful.

Having PP makes me a BETTER driving wife, and reduces the bickering tremendously. I am also able to actually watch my hubby more.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       03-09-2006, 3:07 PM Reply   
Ill Second or 3 or 4th on the marriage saver. IMO knowing you have the speed taken care of via PP is one less excuse or worry you have
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       03-09-2006, 3:29 PM Reply   
Necessary - no, I'd never have another boat without it.
Old     (hal2814)      Join Date: Feb 2006       03-09-2006, 4:36 PM Reply   
If your marriage is in jeopardy because your wife isn't the best boat driver then maybe you don't need to be married (or at the very least you may need to work on anger management). The PP is incredibly nice but it also costs a pretty good wad of cash. I'd rather have the money than the PP. Human errors in driving happen but they haven't happened to me often enough to even consider spending $1000 on cruise control. That being said, if I found two boat for similar prices and in similar shape and one had PP installed, I'd probably go for the PP boat. I wouldn't consider it a deal breaker though.

(Message edited by hal2814 on March 09, 2006)
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       03-09-2006, 5:05 PM Reply   
Dante: I think most people were being sarcastic.
Old     (dcwillette)      Join Date: Sep 2005       03-09-2006, 5:16 PM Reply   
It's not a deal breaker because you can always add it later.

Most fights between married couples are due to money. My wife started resenting the boat because it costs so damn much money and she wasn't enjoying it. She even stopped going to the lake and resenting me when I did, especially at last summer's gas prices.

Why did she not enjoy the boat? Because I was always pissed about about her driving. It's the Best $1300 I ever spent.
Old     (fixin2wakeboard)      Join Date: Mar 2006       03-09-2006, 5:18 PM Reply   
LOL on the marriage saver stuff! FYI, I am not married, which is why I have decided to buy a boat in the first place.
I plan on having either my best bud or my father driving most of the time, but both them and I are inexperienced in inboard boat driving.
But will the boat consistently lose speed, requiring the driver to tap the throttle to compensate(which is the problem I have always had when wakeboarding behind a bass boat)?
Was PP a standard option for 99 SAN?
Old     (fixin2wakeboard)      Join Date: Mar 2006       03-09-2006, 5:22 PM Reply   
Darn, I just remembered what I left out from my last post...
The dealer told me PP requires 4.5 Volts constantly pulling from the battery. The 99 SAN i am considering only has one battery... Would I be required to have another battery installed to run PP, with stereo and standard boat operations? Which would cost me extra
Old     (bughunter)      Join Date: Nov 2001       03-09-2006, 5:23 PM Reply   
Like a lot of things, you will never know what you missed until you get one and will never be able to do without one after that.
Old    buttskimmer            03-09-2006, 5:27 PM Reply   
No Cory - Thats not a big draw. Beisdes the engine will running - the alt puts out 50 or more amps
Old     (jpshaff01)      Join Date: Jun 2005       03-09-2006, 7:22 PM Reply   
What do you guys have to say about that lower level perfect pass. Does everybody have the Pro or did some go for the cheapo version.
Old     (mudsurfer)      Join Date: Nov 2005       03-09-2006, 7:36 PM Reply   
Cory,the SAN and any other inboard for that matter should hold speed fairly well with out PP, With that said I have it in my boat.
Old     (tantrum916)      Join Date: Mar 2005       03-09-2006, 9:20 PM Reply   
I would not buy another boat with out it. It makes all the Dif when pulling and boarding.
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       03-09-2006, 10:37 PM Reply   
I would rather have a crappy boat with a PP than a nice boat without.
Old     (whitie)      Join Date: Jul 2004       03-09-2006, 11:03 PM Reply   
Fixin- Pulling with a comp style boat is way difrent than pulling with a out board or any I/O. The problems with theas boats is thurotle control comp boats are real smooth imo. Yes you will have to adj speed,when wieghted correct little adj is needed. but coming from driving a out board you will haave no worrys nor will any one on you core crew. I drive more boats with out than with but it is nice to have. So you watch the rider kill it. Add it later.
Old     (supralaunch21v)      Join Date: Dec 2004       03-09-2006, 11:17 PM Reply   
Get the PP if you can afford it. Doesn't matter who is driving the boat it makes for a much ride. Anybody who says they can drive better or just as well without PP is full of it.
Old     (hal2814)      Join Date: Feb 2006       03-10-2006, 6:26 AM Reply   
I don't think anyone is arguing that they can ride as good or better without the PP, SL21. I think we're just saying that the increase in ride quality may or may not be worth the price depending on the skill of the driver.

And a tip for Cory in case he foregoes PP: Once you get up to speed, hold the throttle close to the base. It will give you better fine-grained control than holding the throttle by the ball at the top and make those "taps" a whole lot easier.

Chad, while not to nearly the same extent, my wife also does not enjoy the boat all that much. It's funny because she wanted us to do something that has more to do with the outdoors, was good exercise and could be done as a family. I found the perfect activity by ending my 5 year wakeboarding hiatus and buying a boat and a board. She decided that she didn't like it (at least not as much as I do).

No matter how much you spend on a boat, if your wife doesn't enjoy it, she's going to think you are spending too much. My wife isn't the best driver but when she is driving, she's trying her best and I appreciate that a lot. I know that she'd probably rather be elsewhere.

Two things have really helped her enjoy the boat more:
1. My daughter absolutely loves the boat and the water. During the winter, she even asks me to uncover the boat so we can sit in it. I probably look like an idiot to passers-by sitting in my boat (especially since when she's sitting you can't see her from the road) but she has a blast on the boat. This leads my wife to consider boating more of a family activity and therefor a bit more enjoyable. She is a bit more hesitant this year since when boating season starts, we'll hopefully have a one to two month old baby.
2. I try to integrate something she likes in with the boat trip when we boat on weekends. For example, we are members of the zoo in Greenville, SC and the lake is halfway between us and the zoo so we'll have zoo/boating days. Another thing she likes to do is go camping so we'll camp at a state park on the lake for about a week in the summer.
Old     (snyder)      Join Date: Feb 2006       03-10-2006, 7:57 AM Reply   
w/o perfect pass, how would you hold the throttle, the wheel AND your beer? I'd have to have one of my kids pour beer down my throat when i'm driving and that's just not right. so spring for the PP....it's for the kids.
Old     (rukie)      Join Date: Jan 2006       03-10-2006, 8:37 AM Reply   
Robert makes a great point. If I can substantiate that it is for the kids, generally speaking I can get it approved (LOL)
Old     (mcfatty)      Join Date: Apr 2003       03-10-2006, 9:21 AM Reply   
I have never had PP and I don't see me buying it either. I drive by RPMs and the sound of the engine and have kinda developed a sense of speed. I feel we get a better pull w/o it. It seems to me PP doesn't adjust quick enough and over compensates in turns and when a boat is heavily weighted. In fact a buddy has PP and we don't use it. When cutting out on a hard toeside pull it wouldn't adjust till you was coming back in which it then was trying to catch up.
Old     (sjmedic)      Join Date: May 2004       03-10-2006, 9:28 AM Reply   
Never had any problems with PP, and new drivers driving my boat find it easier to maintain consistent speed. PP allows you to adjust by RPM or speed, depending on preference. I would not wn a boat withous some kind of speed control, PP just happens to be the best knwn.
Old     (dcwillette)      Join Date: Sep 2005       03-10-2006, 3:59 PM Reply   
Dante,

Don't get me wrong. My wife grew up waterskiing and loves the lake. She started to hate it when she had to drive. Perfect Pass solves that problem.

Mcfatty, I can drive the boat pretty well without it too. I too drive buy RPMs and sound. Being a professional pilot, I think I have a better control touch than most people, however, if towing someone I enjoy driving more with PP because I don't have to watch the throttle or listen to the engine.
Old     (rodmcinnis)      Join Date: Sep 2002       03-10-2006, 5:36 PM Reply   
Chad:

The problem with driving by RPM is that speed is not constant with RPM. As the load varies the percentage of slip at the prop varies. That's why even the Perfect Pass needs the paddle wheel pickup to have a reasonable chance at controlling speed for wakeboarding.

As the speed increases (ie, for waterskiing) the hull starts operating in a more consistant manner and the prop slip becomes more of a constant. RPM mode for 25 MPH plus works great, but not for wakeboard speeds.

Old     (dcwillette)      Join Date: Sep 2005       03-10-2006, 5:43 PM Reply   
I use Wakeboard mode all the time when using PP. What I was referring to when I said I drive by RPMs is when I'm not using PP. Which is almost never when towing someone. In my boat, with fully loaded ballast tanks, 2800-2900 rpms gives a consistant 20mph with boarder in tow.

I'm a big proponent of PP. It's not perfect, and I can just about control the throttle as well as it can. But it's too much work and my wife sure as heck needs it.
Old     (lftaylor)      Join Date: Mar 2006       03-11-2006, 1:10 AM Reply   
Most boats maintain speed pretty well when they are unweighted. When you add weight (ballast)that is when that $1200 pays for itself.
Old     (rmcronin)      Join Date: Aug 2002       03-11-2006, 6:21 AM Reply   
Get it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Definitely marriage saver!!!
Our marriage was a bit rocky before perfect pass. Since pp, 2 kids and sex couldn't be better. A correlation??? True story, hope my wife doesn't read this.
Old     (cyclonecj)      Join Date: Jul 2001       03-11-2006, 7:44 AM Reply   
Gotta have it, and you gotta have wakeboard pro if you run with weight, so you can adjust the response to suit the amount of weight you run.
Old    swerver            03-11-2006, 9:10 AM Reply   
I have the "cheapo" plus version of perfect pass. its rpm based. for the most part, it works great, even with boarding. i think its worth every penny, and would not buy a new boat without it, would have it installed in a boat without it. expensive, sure, but money well spent. I'd take pp over boardracks, a heater, shower, wood grain dash, ect ect... The three things a boat must have when buying new: Bimini top, depth gauge, and PP.
Old    screws            03-14-2006, 8:41 AM Reply   
The single most important requirement for any wakeboarding boat!!!!
Old     (entrustclothing)      Join Date: Jul 2005       03-14-2006, 9:00 AM Reply   
my last boat didnt have it cause i didn't think i needed it and i bought a new boat pretty much for the perfect pass. it's so nice to have!

it hasn't improved my sex life though :-(