Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through August 29, 2006

Old     (luke22885)      Join Date: Jul 2006       08-22-2006, 8:35 AM Reply   
I live on the southside of Chicago and im looking for a good place to go wakeboarding during the week. If anyone knows a good place less than an hour from southside chicago let me know
Old     (ripr)      Join Date: Mar 2002       08-22-2006, 8:37 AM Reply   
Your best bet for public water would probably be Cedar Lake. It's big and open, so the wind can play havoc at times.
Old     (uppledup17)      Join Date: Sep 2005       08-22-2006, 8:46 AM Reply   
Mike, I would suggest heading out West by us on the Chain. If you can get out on weekdays or early on weekends, there are plenty of good spots. It's a little more than an hour but I can't even think of a place to ride near Chi-town. You could be like the Quiksilver team and ride near Navy Pier, just watch out for the Odyessey
Old     (ashleyo)      Join Date: Aug 2005       08-22-2006, 8:53 AM Reply   
yeah go out to the chain. there are great spots out there. and its well worth the drive. you could even try some of the bays. theres some good ones.

and NAW were you talking about Ceder Lake, in Lake Villa? because as far as i know boats cant get on that lake. besides fishing boats.
Old     (ripr)      Join Date: Mar 2002       08-22-2006, 9:02 AM Reply   
Cedar Lake in Cedar Lake, Indiana...just south of Crown Point. Right over the Ill/IN border.
Old     (scooby76)      Join Date: Apr 2002       08-22-2006, 9:25 AM Reply   
Unfortunately, for weekday riding after work. traffic will make it a pain to go to any of the suggested areas. For weekend you have some good choices.

Fox River in Barrington-Fox River Grove, Illinois River in Morris is always great, Some ride on the Kankakee not sure where is safe thought, and then NAW would be your best resource for NW Indiana.
Old     (ashleyo)      Join Date: Aug 2005       08-22-2006, 9:33 AM Reply   
NAW - ok that makes sense.

S. Newby - is the Fox River good riding? i've never been on it.
Old     (uppledup17)      Join Date: Sep 2005       08-22-2006, 9:41 AM Reply   
During the week the River is really decent until about 4 at night. Down on the Lower Fox by newby, you can ride until I would say noonish even on weekends, sound about right newby? I ride the river most mornings. The difference in the upper and lower river is above the dam there is a ton more seawall which makes riding with traffic a bear.
Old     (ashleyo)      Join Date: Aug 2005       08-22-2006, 9:47 AM Reply   
Noon? thats awesome. i usually get on the chain on the weekends at like 7 and by 10 its getting busy.
Old     (uppledup17)      Join Date: Sep 2005       08-22-2006, 9:52 AM Reply   
Yup same here Ashley, get out early otherwise just stay on the dock.
Old     (scooby76)      Join Date: Apr 2002       08-22-2006, 10:01 AM Reply   
Depending on where you ride, the river can be good. Adam is correct, weekend mornings are nice and some mid afternoons are OK. It is just the late morning early afternoon rush to the Locks that sucks. South of Rt. 14 Bridge the river is deeper but more narrow and has more seawalls. North of the Rt.14 Bridge to Rawson Bridge is a little shallower but less sea walls. I chose to stay South of Rawson Bridge, the Channel is too narrow up that way for my liking.

Unfortunately, I haven’t been riding after work this year. But we used to do a 6pm till sunset and you would compete a little with Traffic but it was never that horrible. I can never say it wasn’t worth it.
Old     (ashleyo)      Join Date: Aug 2005       08-22-2006, 12:34 PM Reply   
Mike - you may also want to try the illinois river. you can get on it down by romeoville. which is south of chicago.there are alot of factories down by there so the water is not the cleanest. but i mean which would you rather have clean water or calm water? haha. its always a good time down there. i highly recommend it :-)