Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through June 08, 2008

Old     (ponyh8r)      Join Date: Dec 2004       06-01-2008, 2:27 PM Reply   
Will this be a good prop paired with the MCX? I am trying to figure out what prop to get......still. Someone recommended this prop to me. I like to load her down a lot sometimes for both riding and surfing. Will this be a better option than the 14.25 x 14?
Old     (phat_in_cincy)      Join Date: May 2003       06-01-2008, 2:32 PM Reply   
Call or email Eric at OJ props. He'll be able to tell you.

http://www.ojprops.com/
Old     (jhgsupra)      Join Date: Mar 2006       06-03-2008, 5:54 AM Reply   
You may want to check the cup on that. I just ordered the same prop from Skidim but was told the cup is a .090. I too thought the 475 was a .120 but the rep at Skidim was quite confident that its a .090. I ordered regardless and can't wait to see the results. Skidim is a bit cheaper than straight from OJ...
Old    star_star            06-03-2008, 9:46 AM Reply   
i had the 14.25 X 14 OJ on my 05 mcx xstar. it was absolutely out of this world. i believe it had the 110 cup. it was the smoothest, most linear prop i have experienced. the allowed the perfect pass to really lock in solidly. the boat could stand about 3500-4000 lbs ballast total. it would take about 25 seconds to get up to cruising speed but it could do it. that prop is as good as it gets for a heavily loaded mcx engine. however, i strongly suggest e-mailing eric at johnson propeller (oj props) and telling him all of the variables that will be involved in your application. also, the cup will make a difference, ask him what cup he would recommend. good luck and let us know what he tells you. do whatever he suggests. he has never steered me wrong and i have had 7-8 different oj props on my three mastercrafts, '99 205 V with LTR (330 hp), '05 xstar with mcx and '08 xstar with L18 (14.75 X 15.5, wow).
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       06-03-2008, 10:32 AM Reply   
I like the sound of the 14.75 X 15.5

We've been having trouble getting enough prop for our L18 boat. That may just be the ticket.
Old     (allen)      Join Date: Apr 2005       06-03-2008, 10:39 AM Reply   
What was your L18 reving when you were at riding speed 26 mph Star?
Old    star_star            06-03-2008, 11:14 AM Reply   
al and evan, my 08 xstar with l18 came with 13.7 X 17.5. it just didn't get it done other than as a cruising prop. the standard prop for that boat now is 14.75 X 17.5. however, for ballasted applications the proper prop is the 14.75 X 15.5.
the fastest anyone rides on my boat is 22 mph. the 14.75 X 15.5 with only factory ballast runs at 3240 rpm's which is the same as the 13.7 X 17.5. however, you can now do some shoulder damage to the rider pulling him up with that prop. i have the fly-high ballast system but have not started using it yet as our boat is just now getting broken in. we were flooded down here for about six weeks and got behind on our riding. without question, however, this is the prop that eric at OJ strongly suggests and my limited findings back it up. god luck and let me know what you experience if/when you make a prop change. note, there is some evidence out there that the newer L18's don't have quite the performance as the 3-4 year old L18's did. many suspect that the new baffled tips are too restrictive. the word on the MC website is that if you gut the baffled tips(or replace them with the straight tips) and then add the two in-line muflers the L18 will quiet down significantly AND have all of it's power back. i am going to add the twin muffler option sometime soon as my boat is really loud. the good news is that the new muffler(s) option is not the old style, single muffler that used to block the raw water pump/impeller housing but rather two straight in-line mufflers.