Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (Jimmy)      Join Date: Apr 2010       04-23-2010, 10:46 PM Reply   
Looking to buy first boat for family (kids: 9, 12, 14). Kid's have only been tubing, but are athletic. Need a lot of space for kids friends which interested me in this configuration. But concerned with boat performance as kids learn to ski and wakeboard. Also, boat does not have ballast or tower, price $33K. So, also concerned with resale value if we would upgrade. Any thoughts?

Additionally, do you use bluebook value when looking to purchase a used boat? It seems common for sellers to really overprice boats and not use this as a selling reference?

Help!
Old     (ponyh8r)      Join Date: Dec 2004       04-24-2010, 2:44 AM Reply   
Jim,

I would skip this boat. Let me explain. First, any boat can pull a tube. As your kids get more into water sports, especially wakeboarding, wakeskating and wake surfing, you are going to want the tower and ballast. Also, the Maristar equivelent the X-15 holds the same number of folks. I also believe that the Maristar's value will not hold nearly as well as the wake specific version.

WIth that said, the price will be the biggest factor. Most folks do not use bluebook or NADA for determining the true value of these types of boats. I think the price sounds reasonable, but you need to give us more info. What options does it have? How many hours? What type of condition is it in? What type of trailer is it on? etc.

I personally would try to get into a wake specific boat. In that price range you can find a lot of good used boats. I would be looking at a Moomba XLV perhaps. They hold 16 folks and have a great wake.
Old     (Jimmy)      Join Date: Apr 2010       04-24-2010, 7:27 PM Reply   
2005 Mastercraft Maristar 230 VRS powered by a Indmar 350 MCX 350hp. Bimini top, Mooring Cover, Cruise Control, Billet Aluminum Dash and Trim Panels, CD Player w/ Transom Remote, Tilt Steering, Magnum Custom Trailer. Boat has been garage kept. Approx. 168/hrs. Very Clean!
Old     (dohboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       04-24-2010, 10:46 PM Reply   
I agree with Mike on making sure the boat will suit your needs for a while. If you are going to have to install a tower and ballast for it then you might consider that now. Just giving you something to think about.
Old     (jeff_mn)      Join Date: Jul 2009       04-25-2010, 8:00 AM Reply   
Jim - I went the same route you are thinking and I regret it all the time. I bought a Moomba with no tower or ballast or any options. I have spent the past year spending all my $$ trying to outfit the boat the way I SHOULD have just bought it in the first place. If you EVER think that your kids or yourself will get into wakeboarding then go buy a wakeboat that is already set up. For $33k - you can buy a lot of wakeboat these days. If you start outfitting it witha tower, ballast, etc - you're going to catch up to $40k REALLY quick plus the hassle of doing the work, etc..

I'd just go buy a boat with tower, ballast and perfect pass now and spend the $$ up front or just find a better suited boat. Unless you think your kids will JUST want to tube and ski the rest of their lives. The Moomba XLV is a really good option actually. A lot of room, fully decked out and ready for wakeboarding. There are a bunch of boats that fit yoour needs - Supra 22/24SSV, Wakesetter/V-Ride, X-15, etc etc.
Old     (Jimmy)      Join Date: Apr 2010       04-25-2010, 10:59 AM Reply   
Thanks for all the input, it is really appreciated!
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       04-25-2010, 11:38 AM Reply   
Like everyone else, 33k buys a lot more in other places.
Check out Moomba XLV - 23 ft - TONS OF ROOM! - great wake, will come with all the little things the maristar won't (tower/ballast/PP/etc)
Don't know where you from but these are in your price range and are great great boats - much better value
http://www.onlyinboards.com/Details.aspx?ID=819454
http://www.onlyinboards.com/Details.aspx?ID=818854