Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old    surfdad            09-24-2009, 5:25 AM Reply   
Last year I swiped an idea from Firewire surfboards and installed a springer into the neutral axis of the board. Well, what I thought was the neutral axis. In the last year there have been some changes and it seems the neutral axis on a surfboard has either changed, or been abandoned in favor of recessed on the deck side. :-)

My build thread from last year is here

The changes in Firewire's tech is here

If you notice the propaganda from the Firewire site, they are describing layers, like the leaf spring of a car, which is the graphic also. Last year I just used a thick Balsa board, which was ok, but there really isn't much flex return as the minimal amount of flex we get with our boards didn't engage the balsa board. I needed to tighten up the response.

If you "glue" three things together, no matter what the material - say playing cards they become incredibly stiff resisting any forces that try and deflect it. Carbon has great flex return and retains that characteristic when included in an epoxy matrix.

So my springer for this build is 3 layers of 6 oz CF sandwiching 2 layers of 1/16" Balsa.

I'll be incorporating the sandwich springer into a composite sandwich board. :-)

CF/Balsa/CF/Balsa/CF laminate stack:

Upload
Upload