Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through June 30, 2008

Old     (rodltg2)      Join Date: Oct 2005       06-06-2008, 5:03 PM Reply   
ive have a question... do you need nice water to wakesurf? it seems like alot of wakesurfers are wrecking the nice water like the tubers do. i'm not a wakesurfer and have absolutey nothing against it, but can't you surf in bad conditions?

(Message edited by rodltg2 on June 06, 2008)
Old     (jusstty)      Join Date: Dec 2006       06-06-2008, 5:22 PM Reply   
No, it wash's out the wave just like in the ocean when it's choppy.
Old     (rodltg2)      Join Date: Oct 2005       06-06-2008, 6:28 PM Reply   
oh i see....
Old     (bird_dog0347)      Join Date: Feb 2006       06-06-2008, 6:30 PM Reply   
I surf in "too bad to wakeboard, but not bad enough to leave the lake" conditions. You DO NOT NEED good water to wakesurf, but it is easier when it is better.
Old     (clubjoe)      Join Date: Sep 2005       06-06-2008, 6:35 PM Reply   
Just like wakeboarding...or skiing...or kneeboarding...
Old     (dirwoody)      Join Date: Apr 2003       06-07-2008, 6:09 AM Reply   
We've started surfing when the tubers are out. Seems the big rollers drive them away a little quicker than normal
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       06-07-2008, 6:22 AM Reply   
"Seems the big rollers drive them away a little quicker than normal "

They drive EVERYONE away. If there are wakesurfers in the area, you can't do anything.
Old     (jeff359)      Join Date: Jun 2005       06-07-2008, 7:35 AM Reply   
When I got hurt and had to limit my boarding, I bought a surfboard. It's sat in my garage for two years never touched, as I realized how obnoxious it can be. Most of the surfing I see going on is worse than tubers.
Old     (chaser)      Join Date: Sep 2006       06-07-2008, 9:27 AM Reply   
"I realized how obnoxious it can be. Most of the surfing I see going on is worse than tubers."

Really? I don't understand your reasoning, please explain? We surf once in a while when conditions are too bad for decent wakeboarding. What is it that you find obnoxious about surfing?
Old     (liveoz)      Join Date: May 2002       06-07-2008, 9:50 AM Reply   
To each their own. I never mind watching the inland surfer crew tear it up, although trying to navigate their wake is a bit difficult. Unfortunately, on Sammamish, the days of evening rideing our gone as the new trend is to have about 10 boats out drinking, getting high and surfing to sunset and beyond. Not only is the water now toast in the evenings, but it is boring as hell to watch this group. The majority just ride behind the boat and do nothing but squat and think it's the greatest thing ever. I even see them surfing behind outboards out there, good luck with that.
Old    K.B.C.            06-07-2008, 9:57 AM Reply   
just as bad IMO if not worse
Old     (dppaneig)      Join Date: Feb 2008       06-07-2008, 9:57 AM Reply   
The only time we wakesurf is when the conditions are not good for wakeboarding and if I see someone trying to wakeboard, I stop. Although, I pretty much stopped wakesurfing because of the gas prices. I get out early wakeboard a few sets until it gets busy and chopped up and leave.
Old     (ogopogo)      Join Date: May 2005       06-07-2008, 11:39 AM Reply   
funny.... I agree that a lot of people don't realize that you don't need to drive in a circle when surfing. We normally drive straight as possible unless the surfer needs a little boost. We wakeboard when it is glassy and surf when it's not, nice having the option.

It's nice living a big lake with lots of calm dead area's. Surfing is blowing up though and a lot of people have no idea what they are doing.
Old     (liquidmx)      Join Date: Jun 2005       06-07-2008, 11:45 AM Reply   
When its too bad to wakeboard I usually "short line" it. I get out an old rope thats spliced to around 50 ft and just play around on the wake like its almost a spine ramp. Usually we drop the weight and ride about 5-10ft back from the rooster. Its also a really good way to work on switch stuff, starting out with a REALLY short 2w2 helps with the confidence. I also drop the speed to around 21-22. Its more fun than just sitting around waiting for the water to get better....unless your drinking with some ladies. haha.
Old     (socalwakepunk)      Join Date: Dec 2002       06-07-2008, 12:55 PM Reply   
In order, Yes, No, and Yes. Scott is spot on.

"I never mind watching the inland surfer crew tear it up"

I have never seen any wakesurfing that I would describe that way.
Old     (iamnathanhudson)      Join Date: Dec 2002       06-09-2008, 7:15 AM Reply   
haters!
Old     (bmartin)      Join Date: Jan 2007       06-09-2008, 7:36 AM Reply   
I take the surfing and the occasional tube pulls to the big water and leave the coves for boarding. It is better to surf in clean water, but not nearly as sensitive to chop as wakeboarding is IMO. And yes - you will see me out there past sunset surfing...good times!
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       06-09-2008, 7:57 AM Reply   
Surfing is okay when the water is bad. But when you see a surf boat destroying great water for miles (that's what it does) it gets a little irritating. A slow moving surf boat upsets the water for long periods.

Hate to say it my fellow board sporters....but it's way, way worse than tubing. At least I don't have to bring my boat off plane and upset a rider to go around Tuber wakes.

I guess you could call me a hater, but not the type that envies you.
Old     (robertr720)      Join Date: Aug 2007       06-09-2008, 8:10 AM Reply   
I can only surf right now due to a recent knee injury and I only do so during the middle of the day when there are 20 jet skis and a bunch of tubers in the river. Key word being that we ride in a river and tubers are 1000 times more dangerous than any surfers that I have had to deal with. I never know which direction they are going and our river is too small for driving in circles and doing powerturns. Where I ride you would be hard pressed to find that a surf boat is tearing up the water more than tubes cause they do so many damn circles that the cross rollers never ever stop. At least with surfing the natural shoreline breaks the rollers and most of the time the surfers actually pay attention and look where they are driving rather that the guy on his F-ing KENNER with 2 tubes in tow and a beer in one hand while looking backwards and hooking lefts and rights.

That is how I feel. Do you need perfect water NO. Is it sweet when you ride butter on a surfer, DUH.
Old     (joe_crawley)      Join Date: Jan 2007       06-09-2008, 8:58 AM Reply   
"What is it that you find obnoxious about surfing?"

chasin7, have you ever seen wakesurfing?
Old     (chaser)      Join Date: Sep 2006       06-09-2008, 9:21 AM Reply   
gangstar,
yes. I don't care for it much, rarely do it. I'm not very good at it. Like I said, only when the water sucks. It's something to do. I like M-dizzles short line idea, may have to try that. Also, we ride a river and drive strait lines so I don't think our wake is ruining miles of water. And if it's bad enough where we aren't boarding, no one else generally is, so who exactly are we ruining the water for? Tubers?
Old     (iamnathanhudson)      Join Date: Dec 2002       06-09-2008, 9:36 AM Reply   
Robert hit the nail on the head!
Old     (chilidog)      Join Date: Dec 2007       06-09-2008, 10:14 AM Reply   
We were cruising my friends DD centurion down Old River south, not a boat in sight either way, going about 30mph, then out of nowhere were about 6 rollers about 4 feet high right in front of us coming perpendicular to the channel , we went over the first two and through the second two then had slowed down enough to navigate the last two, water up over the windshield that nailed the tower... Sure enough up by the entry to Grant Line slough was a wakesurfin Malibu who had turned around where the river heads north and sent the rollers all the way down the channel, when we hit them we were an easy 1/2 mile from where they turned around. Good thing we weren't in a bass boat going 70 or a low profile hot boat, would have crashed hard. NOt a huge fan after that of wakesurfing,
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       06-09-2008, 10:34 AM Reply   
I have a love hate relationship with wakesurfing. It's retarded fun, even more fun to teach. The look on some ones fave when they toss the handle for the first time and catch the wave is pricelss. HOWEVER, the completely destroy calm water. Even if they are out surfing in the middle of the lake the roller they produce go on for ever. I only wakesurf in as stated above, "to bad to wakeboard but not bad enough to leave the lake conditions."
Old     (koontzlake)      Join Date: Aug 2007       06-09-2008, 10:37 AM Reply   
On my lake its all wakeboarding until the wind picks up and the tubers and other retarded drivers come out. Then its wakesurfing until it calms down again, then we switch back to wakeboarding. And Scott I know how you feel. I was in my friends Sea Ray with 1500 pounds in it riding down a river when a wakesurfer came by and the boat pretty much went under the third roller. It sucked especially when the water was butter.
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       06-09-2008, 10:43 AM Reply   
Waste of gas, nice boats (ruins engines), good water.... and overall is silly imo... I love going and watching someone "practice" all their "tricks". Thing is you don't need that big of a wake to do it. We did it fine behind a MC 197.
Old     (adrenalindustries)      Join Date: Jun 2008       06-09-2008, 10:47 AM Reply   
Everyone enjoy's different things.. The skiers say the same shiz about wakeboarders... but I totally agree with everyone's point about wakesurfing..."It's retarded fun, even more fun to teach" It's so chill for kids and girls... but if the water is rough water is rough.. nothing you can do about it! Just have fun!
Old    K.B.C.            06-09-2008, 10:52 AM Reply   
"When its too bad to wakeboard I usually "short line" it. I get out an old rope thats spliced to around 50 ft and just play around on the wake like its almost a spine ramp. Usually we drop the weight and ride about 5-10ft back from the rooster. Its also a really good way to work on switch stuff, starting out with a REALLY short 2w2 helps with the confidence. I also drop the speed to around 21-22. "

We do this now too, although we usually ride at about 65 ft. Work on switch riding, handle pass surface spins, butters, inside out back 1s, etc. You can still practice fundamentals in crappy water. I'd rather do that than improve my wakesurf skills
Old     (kstateskier)      Join Date: May 2002       06-09-2008, 10:57 AM Reply   
The way I look at it though is it's just another sector of the sport that people enjoy and why shouldn't they have good water to do what they want.

Back when I was spending 7 days a week in a slalom course, I thought exactly the same thing about wakeboarding, "they're only going 20 mph, do they really need the smooth water", as a loaded wakeboat went by. I think it comes down to who thinks they deserve the best water, the skier, the boarder, or the surfer.

...I guess Justin beat me to the point.

(Message edited by kstateskier on June 09, 2008)
Old     (zapisor)      Join Date: Mar 2008       06-09-2008, 8:30 PM Reply   
wow I never thought I'd see the day....

As water sports evolve, so does the complaining. 10 years ago all the slalom skiers were complaining about the wakeboarders, now the wakerboarders are complaining about the surfers?

Who will the surfers complain about? the fishermen?
Old     (mxflyer281)      Join Date: Oct 2007       06-09-2008, 8:44 PM Reply   
Surfings a fun for everyone sport come on now are we really that uptight to complain about wakesurfers? Plus I'm a drunkin wakesurfing machine (hey well I can at least ride) I can't say the same about drunkin wakeboarding (tried it once will never do again)
Old     (cavlxenvy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       06-09-2008, 8:52 PM Reply   
Clearly Ron didn't see the post about the Fisherman casting their lines at wakeboarders and how its a third degree assault charge.