Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (razzman)      Join Date: Dec 2006       05-28-2010, 5:59 AM Reply   
I'm picking up a box anchor on Saturday, just plain tired of dragging anchors all the time! So i got a couple of questions for those using them;
  • What size rope are you using? Slide Anchor recommended 3/8" to me, seems like overkill?
  • Anyone use an Anchor Buddy with one?
  • How do they hold on steep slope lakes?

Thanks guys
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       05-28-2010, 6:13 AM Reply   
i just got mine this week . i'll tell you more on tuesday.
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       05-28-2010, 6:15 AM Reply   
I just just 3/8 inch rope and just tie it straight to the anchor. That is all I do, but others may use anchor buddies. It will hook on just about anything I have put it up against.
Old     (calipackfan)      Join Date: Jul 2008       05-28-2010, 7:26 AM Reply   
hook it up to an anchor buddy. no knots, just a shackle on one end, and a clip for the boat end. no rope. I'm a new boat owner, and was always worried about anchoring, ( our lake can get windy and push the boats around) bought the box anchor, and have never had a problem,
Old     (fullspeed)      Join Date: Oct 2005 Location: Santa Cruz County CA       05-28-2010, 7:36 AM Reply   
It is the best anchor for sure. I use my anchor buddy rope (the stretchy rope), but only in calm water. If it is super windy I use a regular anchor rope only because I don't want to loose the anchor. I have had 6 boats tied up to me in a busy cove with only my box anchor and it was a solid stay.

I have always been worried about my boat floating away when I shore camp, but with the box anchor I can sleep better. Great purchase. It should come with a bag that it stores in with is nice.
Old     (ajholt7)      Join Date: Apr 2009       05-28-2010, 7:53 AM Reply   
I use a 3/8". Defianately don't want to loose this anchor.
Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       05-28-2010, 8:04 AM Reply   
Never rely on only an Anchor Buddy. Always have a rope too. Anchor Buddy is not that strong and can snap and there goes your expensive Box Anchor.
Old     (razzman)      Join Date: Dec 2006       05-28-2010, 8:22 AM Reply   
Thanks for all the answers!

I've always had a rope to backup the anchor buddy after the clip snapped on one about four years ago! I personally won't use the anchor buddy on the box anchor, i asked that for somebody else who asked me who's also getting a box anchor. My personal opinion is that they may actually help drag an anchor in certain conditions, ya know the rubber band effect. Not to mention the box anchor needs a 2:1 scope to work to full potential and that would limit the anchor buddy to a 25' max anchor depth. I limit my use of those now to overnight shore anchoring in the cove.

I'll just pickup 100' of good 3/8" anchor line for use with it.
Old     (mike3500)      Join Date: Jun 2008       05-28-2010, 8:34 AM Reply   
We love ours. Not sure about the rope size (either 3/8", or 1/2"). Our old partner was very into overkill. We don't use an anchor buddy. They are only good for a few seasons. Stay with a rope. Not sure about steep slopes, but I'm sure when it grabs you'll be good.