Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through April 26, 2009

Old     (ladycfo)      Join Date: Apr 2009       04-06-2009, 9:12 PM Reply   
I'm in the market for tower speakers and notice that there are roughly two styles of speakers...the bullet style and then, for lack of a better description, the "boom box" speaker look. I've seen the bullet style for the past few years and I find them aesthetically appealing, but are they still trendy or are the "boom box style" speakers the new trend?

Also, I'm looking for input on which tower speakers are the best in each class. I've called a few stereo shops and I've been recommended KMT6's, Infinty 6000m's, and WetSounds. I haven't made up my mind on what I want to spend and would appreciate your suggestions. Thanks!
Old     (sound_illusions)      Join Date: May 2005       04-06-2009, 9:25 PM Reply   
You need to make a budget for yourself and decide if you want to do Pro Audio or traditional car ausio speakers. In my opinion they both have their percs, but you need some source of listening to both if you have heard one, but not the other. Remember your budget will have to include your amp. I would personally recommend you build a tower system combined with a subwoofer in mind and what you want for that budget also, because running only tower speakers is going to be very defening( is that a word??) in my experience.
Old     (chucktronics)      Join Date: Nov 2007       04-06-2009, 10:24 PM Reply   
As clay mentions, the budget is very important in negotiating a good system , some products give more bang for the buck than others. You must decide what is your goal and listen to the different styles.

The bullet speakers are not "out of style " but tend to be less efficient in getting sound out to the rider at 80 ft or so. (considering that most bullet styles have traditional car audio speakers)
Old     (ladycfo)      Join Date: Apr 2009       04-07-2009, 9:26 AM Reply   
Thanks for all your input.

I just had alpine pdx amps, JL audio sub and alpine head unit installed last week. I originally selected the KMT6's for the tower based on my awareness at the time, but my installer switched me to Infinity 6000m's because he couldn't get the kicker's right away. As a consolation, the installer indicated that the Infinity were louder speakers anyway.

I am very happy with the install, but wonder if I made the right decision on the tower speakers. I've since been to the OC boat show and saw only one boat with the infinitys, and all the other boats had the bullet style speakers, specifically Wetsounds.

To enhance the look and the quality of the sound and lifespan of the speaker (I heard the infinity are not durable?) what speaker should i consider? I recognize that the wetsound will double in price, but am receptive.
Old     (wakeborder5)      Join Date: Jun 2002       04-07-2009, 10:43 AM Reply   
To decide what style of speakers would be best, we need to know if you're looking for speakers that you can hear while wakeboarding or just for the sandbar or wakesurfing. If you want long range, you're not gonna want traditional car audio speakers, but something like wetsounds or kmt6s, depending on your budget.
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       04-07-2009, 12:03 PM Reply   
Isn't it kinda funny that what he had laying around was better then what you wanted and he couldn't get

The Infinity's are not bad, but they are not louder, or as clear, as the Kicker's.
Old     (ladycfo)      Join Date: Apr 2009       04-07-2009, 1:27 PM Reply   
Ray, thank you for the heads up... most importantly I'm looking for speakers that are loud and clear when driving in the boat, and chilling at the sandbar, and secondarily for the wakeboarder. Currently the infinity are just loud, not especially clear and no depth to the sound really. Thanks for your help!
Old     (neobillet)      Join Date: Sep 2008       04-07-2009, 6:35 PM Reply   
hi ladycfo
The Bullet hollow point 770 will take care of all your needs out to and beyond 80 feet. They are the original bullet speakers hand spun aluminum enclosures with pro audio hlcd cleanest sounding speaker in a 8" bullet enclosure and are offered in chrome black or white
Old     (canecorso)      Join Date: Aug 2007       04-07-2009, 6:40 PM Reply   
look into the 7.7" bullet hollow point's they are just like the wetsounds (PA type horn) and cheaper!!

I just got my set I need to get installed but they look impressive. Thanks Hieme :-)
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       04-07-2009, 8:20 PM Reply   
Everyone knows I love my Bullet Hollow Points but I'm not so sure they're the answer to someone who puts getting music to the rider third on their list of importance. Sounds like Maybe Bullets non HLCD's or another nice coaxial type set up might be the way to go. You could go with Wetsound's double up with the Pro 60 and the MB-8. Don't get me wrong though on the Bullet HP they sound great in boat but you could save yourself some dough going non HLCD. Ditch the Infinity they suck the KMT6 would have been much better.
Old     (neobillet)      Join Date: Sep 2008       04-07-2009, 9:01 PM Reply   
The new bullet coaxial 770 should be available in 1 week this will be a very strong contender that will give plenty of volume and even more mid bass this speaker will fill the needs for most boaters looking for an all around great looking & sounding speaker.
Old     (ladycfo)      Join Date: Apr 2009       04-07-2009, 9:07 PM Reply   
Thank you all for the input, it is much appreciated!

I was on the wet sounds website this afternoon, and I was impressed with the quick release/swivel bracket, by chance do the bullets have this available?
Old     (neobillet)      Join Date: Sep 2008       04-07-2009, 9:39 PM Reply   
Sorry no quick release brackets for the bullets!
the bullets come with a custom fit clamp to bolt up to any size tower their is not a tower that can't be fitted. also one of the lowest profile speakers in the industry they are not head knockers. the 770 hangs 8.5" from the bottom of tower. another thin to keep in mind.
Old    kidrik            04-07-2009, 9:40 PM Reply   
Plenty to choose from......but I have no regrets by going with the Bullet Hollow Points! Lovin' them Jaime! And if you ever need an install in the Norcal area, definitely check out Ben and the boys at Acme Tops and Tunes! Thanks guys! (I'll be adding two more when possible....)

Upload
Old     (ladycfo)      Join Date: Apr 2009       04-07-2009, 9:56 PM Reply   
hmm...lots of feedback to consider

Based on my preliminary research, 2 pairs of Wet Sound Pro80's are about $2K. 2 pairs of Bullet Hollow Point 770's are about $1400. That's quite a bit of savings going with the Bullet Hollow Points, especially if the only real difference is that they won't reverse or quickly disconnect. Is this about right?
Old     (sound_illusions)      Join Date: May 2005       04-07-2009, 10:21 PM Reply   
LadyCFO what do you mean by reverse or quickly disconnect?
Old     (wetsounds1)      Join Date: Jan 2006       04-08-2009, 7:37 AM Reply   
LadyCFO,

Shoot me an e mail and let me know where you are located at. twhite@wetsounds.com I will look to see if we have a dealer near you. So you can take a look and listen to the Wet Sounds. That is always the best thing to do. I always say try to get someone a demo. Use this site and the research you have done to narrow down a few choices. Sounds like you know what to get out of the Infinity and the Kicker type speaker. So you have an idea of the volume and sound from those. Based on your sound goals. One pair of 80's may be all you need. The PRO 80's put out more volume as they are a true 8 inch speaker. There have also been in SPL comparison tests done on this site in the past by independent consumers that also showed the 80's putting out more SPL at 80 feet back than speakers using 10 inch drivers. You will be amazed on how much volume one pair will put out.

Also, based on your descriptions. Sounds like you are interested in something more for a sandbar type deal with enough volume for the rider as well.

The Wet Sounds Double Up system was designed specifically for that. It is a pair of MB-8 with a pair of PRo 60's. It offers the best balance of sound for sand bar tunes as it is nice and crisp and full. So check that out. We offer the quick disconnect swivel clamps as an upgrade to the PRO 60 and MB-8 as well. The come standard on the PRO 80 and PRO 485.

So shoot me a email and I will get you lined up with one of our dealers that can take care of you.

Tim
Wet Sounds

(Message edited by wetsounds1 on April 08, 2009)
Old     (wetsounds1)      Join Date: Jan 2006       04-08-2009, 7:51 AM Reply   
What's up Clay! Haven't seen you around in a while.

She is talking about the Trick Connect 2 clamps that come with the PRO 80. They offer a quick release so you remove 2 bolts and the speakers come of the tower with the clamps staying in place. You can also spin them any angle as there is detents that allow you to position the speaker where you want it. So you pull into a sand bar. You can turn the speaker to fire forward and have tunes on the beach vs. always having to back the boat in.

Works perfect for those that tie up in sand bars etc...

Tim
Wet Sounds
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       04-08-2009, 8:29 AM Reply   
LADY CFO, If you're finding the BHP 7.7's for $1400 jump on it they're $1800 on the website. I'll second Ben (soundbox) at ACME he took good care of me too and I live no where near their shop.

Here are mine. I think they look the best have have phenomenal hang height. I increased my clearance with these and went from 6.5" to the 7.7"

Upload
Old     (w00taz)      Join Date: Jun 2007       04-08-2009, 9:14 AM Reply   
To keep things simple I wouldn't recommend any pro audio (bullet or wetsounds) because it would be offensive on a sandbar at full volume imo. If you really want to go this route you should likely add something like the wetsounds ws-420 to keep the tower volume down but the rest bumping so you can enjoy the sub and interior speakers. I would recommend 4-6 6x9 speakers. They will keep the tower/interior and sub balanced. You can hear them riding and wont sound so harsh up close. It will also distribute the sound more like a flood lamp compared to more like a spotlight.
Old     (ladycfo)      Join Date: Apr 2009       04-08-2009, 9:26 AM Reply   
Scott - Thanks for the heads up on the Marine EQ (ws-420)
Old     (ladycfo)      Join Date: Apr 2009       04-08-2009, 9:30 AM Reply   
a lingering question I have...with the purchase of Wet Sounds or Bullets, will I have to also change out my amp from my Alpine PDX ?

(Message edited by ladycfo on April 08, 2009)
Old     (stewart)      Join Date: Feb 2006       04-08-2009, 9:40 AM Reply   
"To keep things simple I wouldn't recommend any pro audio (bullet or wetsounds) because it would be offensive on a sandbar at full volume imo."

Scott, I guess you haven't heard the Bullets and are only basing this assumption on brand-x or other pro-audio that you may have heard.

The Bullets have a slightly lower SPL, like Tim alluded to, which makes them a much better speaker for overall listening. The horns on the Bullets are more like a super tweeter vs. a high pitch PA system.

I have the Bullet 770's on my boat, and everyone who has heard them has liked them a lot.

The best thing to do, as always, is go out and listen to different speakers. Why would anyone spend $$$ and not listen to a speaker first is beyond me.
Old     (stewart)      Join Date: Feb 2006       04-08-2009, 9:42 AM Reply   
LadyCFO,

Which Alpine PDX do you have?
Old     (philwsailz)      Join Date: Feb 2009       04-08-2009, 10:00 AM Reply   
Tim, Tim, Tim....
you write: "Sounds like you know what to get out of the Infinity and the Kicker type speaker" Even you know the difference there...
Thanks Pal! (you know I am teasing, I write this so everyone else does) *sound of bus about to run me over* How are you doing?

Ladycfo-
I agree with Tim and Stewart, You really need to listen to anything being considered... It is your money, and your ears.

I could tell ya all day that the Kicker KMT6 is the best one out there, but if you don't like the way it sounds I am not doing you a favor. You need to listen to anything you are considering, including the KMT6 and make a decision based on what you like. Find the Wetsounds and the Bullets too!

Hopefully you get an opportunity to listen to as many as possible,and make a decision based on that.

Good Luck!

Phil
Kicker
Old     (wetsounds1)      Join Date: Jan 2006       04-08-2009, 10:54 AM Reply   
What's up Phil, I noticed that you joined but decided to not lay into you too much

Tim
Wet Sounds
Old     (ladycfo)      Join Date: Apr 2009       04-08-2009, 1:16 PM Reply   
I have Alpine PDX 4.100m 4 ch & 1.600m 1 ch
Old     (stewart)      Join Date: Feb 2006       04-08-2009, 2:00 PM Reply   
Most of these Pro Audio style tower speakers are fairly hungry. You should plan on having around 150w+.

With that amp you could bridge it to 2 channel and get 2 x 200w @ 4ohms. Than when you hook up a pair of speakers you will have 200w @ 4ohm. If you run 2 pairs of speakers than you will get 200w @ 2ohm going to each speaker.
Old     (wetsounds1)      Join Date: Jan 2006       04-08-2009, 2:21 PM Reply   
That amp does 100x4 at 4 ohms and has impedance tracking so it does the same 100x4 at 2 ohms stereo. It can only bridge into a 4 ohm load. It cannot bridge into a 2 ohm load. It could run 200x2 into 4 ohms only. Also, when bridging an amp like that. You split the power to the amount of speakers.

For instance, you have a 2 ch amp that does 100x2 at 4 ohms and 200x2 at 2 ohms. To get the 2 ohm load, you would run Four 4 ohm speakers. So the amp would then be running at a 200x2 at 2 ohms load. Splitting the power to each speaker. So each speaker would receive 100 watts.

The amp you have now is perfectly matched RMS ratings for a pair of PRO 80's(200rms). You could also run the Double Up doing 100x4. 100 to each PRO 60 and 100 to each MB-8. Would be a little light as far as power but something you could run for a while. Then later add another one of the pdx 4.100 and then bridge them both giving 200x2 to the PRO 60's and 200x2 to the MB-8's.

Tim
Wet Sounds
Old     (stewart)      Join Date: Feb 2006       04-08-2009, 2:39 PM Reply   
It didn't catch that that amp couldn't bridge into 2ohms.

A pair of Pro 80's or Bullet Hollow Point 770's will sing at 200w @ 4ohms.
Old     (wetsounds1)      Join Date: Jan 2006       04-08-2009, 2:44 PM Reply   
yeah, most 4 ch amps can only bridge in 4 ohms. Same with most 2 ch amps. Most can only bridge mono into a 4 ohm load as well. They can run at 2 ohms stereo.

There are some high current amps that can bridge down to the lower impedances, but most are competition amps.

Tim
Wet Sounds
Old     (wakemaker01)      Join Date: Mar 2009       04-08-2009, 4:24 PM Reply   
what is the diffrenc in the horn kicker uses and wetsounds not trying to start a war just wondering i have the kmt6 and love them the wetsounds are louder just wondering whats the difrence.
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       04-08-2009, 4:25 PM Reply   
I think there are some new contenders in this thread and the previous equipment comparisons may not apply to the currently available products. It might be time to compare some equipment head to head. I have seen several posts where Bullet guys make very strong claims compared to Wetsounds but I have not seen anything that has persuaded me to believing any of them.

Some of the posts might as well be titled: "I am a manufacturer or dealer and I make more profit on..."

I am a normal guy that used to work in the car stereo industry that went back to school and achieved my electrical engineering degree. I have been actively involved with boat stereo systems since 2003 when I first installed a tower and speakers on my previous boat. I have built my own Pro-Audio based tower speaker for more than it cost to buy a better product, but it was a fun project.

Here is my opinion. Today, there are three classes of tower speakers.
1. Speakers designed for car interiors placed in a metal, plastic or fiberglass enclosure. These are good solutions for near field applications and if done very carefully can make some sound at the end of the riders rope behind some boats. Significant cost and appearance concerns considered during design.

2. Speakers designed for towers with strong drivers that project music to the rider at the end of the rope, similar to how soundstage speakers do into audiences at concerts. Not much focus on cost or appearance during design, mainly performance.

3. I will create a new third category, speakers designed with wakeboarding in mind but still economical. Blend of cost, performance and appearance in design.

I would categorize most factory boat speakers in #1 (the first solution offered to the industry), pro-audio/HLCD based solutions (Wetsounds, NVS, Skylon, etc.) would be in category #2, Infinity 6100, Kicker KMT6, and Evid 6.2 (by concidence) would fall into category #3. I am not sure if I would categorize Bullets in 2 or 3, since I have not had much opportunity to put them to test.

I happen to run Wetsounds Pro-485's on my tower and I am very happy. I also have friends with NVS on their towers who are very happy too. Both Wetsounds and NVS are capable of producing sound in excess of my needs so I don't really care which one is louder, both get rediculously loud when powered correctly. Anything louder is likely to start creating hearing issues with my boat crew.

When it comes time to compare tower speakers do yourself a favor and do it on the water at the end of the rope. Any other setting is pointless because you will be hearing lots of reflected sound waves from surrounding walls or buildings, there are neither out on the water. Yes, it's a pain but it's the right way.

I was part of a test done in 2006. For that test I towed my boat to the shoreline of the bay and pointed the speakers out over the water so there would be no reflections to reinforce or color the sound. It was a pain but it was the right thing to do. I won't cite the results of that test as they may no longer be valid given manufacturing changes made in the past 3 years.

All and all, I wish most individuals would take the time and listen to how thier tower speakers sound to others outside of their boat. Most of the time they sound horrible from anywhere but the driver's seat, at least I assume they don't sound horrible there because that's where the volume control is usually placed. I often want to don earplugs when I hear some tool roll into the marina with his tower speakers blasting some hideous noise. Ironically most of these guys have speakers that fall into category 1 and have the huge misconception they rival speakers from category 2 or 3. Of course there are the extremely rare exceptions.

LadyCFO, my advice to you is that you look and listen then buy something that best meets your needs. I might suggest any other advice posted in this topic is useless as it applies to YOU without a better understanding of YOUR goals with your audio system. I could post my recommendations but I have no idea what your intentions are. For example, my friend Grant uses his tower speakers from category 1 to satisfy his needs very effectively, I use my cagegory 2 speakers to satisfy my needs very effectively. I would not trade mine for his and I am sure he would not trade his for mine. He uses his tower mainly for cove anchored party tunes, I use mine for wakeboarding.}

Best of luck.
Old    K.B.C.            04-08-2009, 4:35 PM Reply   
^^^listen to this guy! Great post Mike
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       04-08-2009, 4:54 PM Reply   
I'm pretty sure Bullets should be placed into category 2 as you place them Mike. They're tower specific and HLCD with a very pointed direction as far as sound goes that is.

Here is a pic of the back of the speaker.

Upload
Old     (wetsounds1)      Join Date: Jan 2006       04-08-2009, 4:59 PM Reply   
Great points mikeski,

Tony, to clarify you question about the Kickers.

The Kickers use a conventional tweeter attached to a horn flare. Phil can join in on more detail.

The Wet Sounds use a Compression Driver attached to a horn flare. Which is where the name HLCD comes in. “Horn Loaded Compression Driver”

Now there is also things like compression coaxials with no horn. Using the mid bass cone as the radiating horn pattern.

Many times I see anything with a horn called a HLCD which is not correct. I also see compression coaxial called HLCD, again, not correct. They are not Horn Loaded Compression Drivers, they are compression coaxials.

Adding a horn to a conventional tweeter as in the Kickers will give you the ability to direct the sound stage and control the dispersion pattern. Aimed at the rider.

A compression driver with a horn flare achieves the same effect with the horn controlling the dispersion pattern but since they operate on the theory of compression (larger diaphragm exiting through a smaller opening) They can achieve higher spl and higher efficiency. Which is why you can get the amount of spl from a pro audio based tower system.

You can then add in the shape of the horn flare. As the shape can dictate the dispersion pattern. You can have a narrow pattern. Or a wide pattern. We design our speakers with a wider dispersion pattern. So there is more sound projected to the rider and outside of the wake.

Tim
Wet Sounds
Old     (wakemaker01)      Join Date: Mar 2009       04-08-2009, 5:30 PM Reply   
thanks TIM great info still saveing 4 those pro 80s thanks.
Old     (sound_illusions)      Join Date: May 2005       04-09-2009, 8:18 AM Reply   
Bravo Mikeski, very well put, I like the post.
Old     (philwsailz)      Join Date: Feb 2009       04-09-2009, 8:52 AM Reply   
Tim's response right above is extremely accurate. Super description Tim. It is good to have a little education out there, as there is a lot of mis-information with regards to what is and isn't.

Let me elaborate a little on the KMT6:
The KMT6 uses a HF driver that is not a compression device; we developed the horn geometry we wanted first, and then worked and worked to develop a driver and crossover network that worked well with the horn. When you look at the actual horn driver, you will see that it looks like a pretty conventional tweeter as Tim states, not a true compression driver.

The driver we ultimately picked offered us several advantages when compared with other units considered, and after listening and other testing it just won every time.

The products are just different, and each has its place. The Wetsounds is a little louder as a result of the compression driver. A compression driver always has more area than a non-compression driver, more area will always move more air and make more sound for a given displacement!

No war Tony, none at all! Tim makes a fantastic product, and you will never hear me say otherwise. He is a pretty good guy too... Tim, should I whip out the pic?

Mikeski-
Great post! You are right on the money..

Phil
Kicker

(Message edited by philwsailz on April 09, 2009)
Old     (ladycfo)      Join Date: Apr 2009       04-09-2009, 11:59 AM Reply   
Phil - I say whip out the pic!
Old     (philwsailz)      Join Date: Feb 2009       04-09-2009, 12:14 PM Reply   
This is a pic of Tim and Phil taking a very brief moment away from work at the last IBEX show in Miami, (Tim is the one doing the choking).

Sorry Tim, this one is just too funny...
Upload

The image is less than perfect, I took it with my phone...

(Message edited by philwsailz on April 09, 2009)
Old     (wetsounds1)      Join Date: Jan 2006       04-09-2009, 12:59 PM Reply   
LOL! Yeah Phil was coming over to the booth trying to scope out the new Wet Sounds, I just had to choke him!!! J/K.

Tim
Wet Sounds
Old     (srh00z)      Join Date: Jun 2003       04-09-2009, 3:32 PM Reply   
I have the KMT6's and I like them a lot. I will likely re-power them this season as I just hooked them up to an old amp to get me through the last part of the season last year. They are loud and clear, even with the small amp that I used.

As a side note, it is refreshing to see two people who represent their companies well even though they are competitors. It is also nice that Tim and Phil are open to providing customer service here on the boards.
Old     (ladycfo)      Join Date: Apr 2009       04-09-2009, 7:08 PM Reply   
Anyone have a referral for a quality Wet Sound Dealer/Installer in Orange County, CA or near the Colorado River?

Thanks =)

(Message edited by ladycfo on April 09, 2009)