Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through April 04, 2003

Old     (gunz)      Join Date: Sep 2001       02-08-2003, 8:14 AM Reply   
It looks like one long cable covered with metal,and worm drive at the end.How do you clean out the old grease?What type of grease do you use?If I have to buy a new one,whats it cost?I need some help guys.....
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       02-08-2003, 8:21 AM Reply   
Core,

You should email Tammy at tsauer@maxis.com. She has the same boat as you and I believe she's had to have her steering cable greased. Also, email Henry at hgbg1@aol.com. He used to have a Sanger and I believe he too, had to grease his steering cable.

(Message edited by dakid on February 08, 2003)
Old     (scotthetland)      Join Date: Apr 2002       02-08-2003, 11:07 AM Reply   
As for cost of the cable, my steering cable actually broke. I bought a new cable for about $120-$140, don't really remember. I installed it myself in about a 1 1/2 hours. If I had to do it again, it would probably only take 1/2 hour, now that I know what I'm doing. If you need tips on how to do it, just ask, I'll be glad to share on how I did it.
Old     (peter_c)      Join Date: Sep 2001       02-08-2003, 11:08 AM Reply   
I believe they use Teleflex cables which are cheap. You can upgrade to a Morse cable which is much thicker for about $175. The Teleflexs are listed at Overtons and the like. http://www.skidim.com/ sells everything imaginable for inboard boats. In my own boat someone turned the bilge off and it drew water into the cable causing it to seize completely. I removed the cable and drilled a small hole at the stern end of the housing just infront of the nut, used an equivelent of a dremel to clean the hole out so the grease would flow (Have to be careful to not nick the cable), then tapped it out and intstalled a zerk fittiing. I forced grease in and got the cable moving. After working it for a little while, mounted in a vice, it freed up completely and I reinstalled it in the boat. Every so often I would add a few pumps of grease to keep it smooth. The type of grease is not so important but I always used marine grease just because I keep a grease gun for the boats.

If I was to buy a new cable I would still add a zerk fitting, as the cables should come with them in the first place.
Old     (peter_c)      Join Date: Sep 2001       02-09-2003, 11:48 PM Reply   
Here are a couple of pictures of the zerk fitting I installed onto my cable.
Taken with a $15 digicam and it shows.

Old     (gunz)      Join Date: Sep 2001       02-10-2003, 6:43 PM Reply   
Pete I got zerks on mine,but don't I have to clean out the old grease to make it work good?Also what would I use to clean out the insideOf the tube(type of cleaner)?Also ,Joe I e-mailed Tammy,am waiting to see what she says.Thanks.....
Old     (peter_c)      Join Date: Sep 2001       02-10-2003, 10:23 PM Reply   
If you already have zerks installed just start pumping grease in and working the cable back and forth, which you can do in the boat. You can not really pump too much grease in. Work it for a few minutes and pump some more in. Run the boat for a day and lube it again. Then anytime you feel it getting stiff or have easy access lube it. The old grease will be somewhat pushed out by the new grease.

Any idea what brand of cable you have?
Old    bofus5104            02-11-2003, 7:18 AM Reply   
Scott, can you give me the details on how you changed the cable. I have a 98 Tige