Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through November 29, 2007

Old     (jhilltn)      Join Date: Jul 2004       11-02-2007, 8:22 AM Reply   
Anybody else talked to anyone over there. I heard Soven was disqualified b/c of a knot in his rope. Is there anymore to it than that? I think Dallas and A Adkison won but the juniors (from the US- this is wakeWORLD i guess so i should be specific) didn't get scored too great.

any news
Old     (nickdakoolkat)      Join Date: Sep 2005       11-02-2007, 10:06 AM Reply   
I haven't heard anything yet, but I'll try and find out today.
Old     (kneeboarddad)      Join Date: Sep 2005       11-02-2007, 11:42 AM Reply   
Heres what I found for Thursday. So if Philip got DQd it had to be today. Top 2 from each heat went through. They Are
Dan Knott (GBR), Adkinson, Kim (Korea),Sharpe, Weatherall, Rossiter (GBR), Soven, Dean Smith. Watkins and Smealey didn't make it through.

Women- Friday, Fountain, Chen,Kantar, CHarriere and Vanken made it through to finals.

Harley Clifford from AUS seems to be the one to beat in Boys and Daniel Powers is also one of 6 boys in finals.

Jr men shows Mitch Langfield from AUS killing it and he will be joined by Rob Soven and 6 others in semi finals.
Old     (innov8)      Join Date: May 2005       11-02-2007, 12:06 PM Reply   
That would be soooo lame if Soven got DQd because of a knot in this line.
Old     (mobv)      Join Date: Jun 2002       11-02-2007, 12:18 PM Reply   
I heard the same thing from one of the junior parents. Soven DQd because he rode with a knot in his rope. Adkinson got 1st, Dallas 1st in women. Jrs were all 3rd or 4th.
Old     (tommyc)      Join Date: Nov 2003       11-02-2007, 12:46 PM Reply   
That looks like the only way to keep Soven from winning. Its just not fair to the other riders when he is in your heat. Go Andrew!!!
Old     (tommyc)      Join Date: Nov 2003       11-02-2007, 12:47 PM Reply   
Almost forgot...GO Shelby!!!
Old     (jmuthafnp)      Join Date: Feb 2006       11-02-2007, 1:07 PM Reply   
What up JHILL, get at me sometime. You can find all the info at:

http://www.iwsf.com/

(Message edited by jmuthafnp on November 02, 2007)
Old     (xistential)      Join Date: Jul 2007       11-02-2007, 1:14 PM Reply   
Heard from somebody who is there that Philip was dqd on the dock because his rope was tangled. They are really strict at those events. If you are not ready you get dqd. Doesn't matter who you are
Old     (wakedad33)      Join Date: Oct 2005       11-02-2007, 1:22 PM Reply   
Sounds like a waterski rule, don't they have a 5 minute equipment problem time limit. Sucks, a lot of money at stake.
Old     (xistential)      Join Date: Jul 2007       11-02-2007, 2:34 PM Reply   
No. If you are not ready you are dqd. There is no money at the IWSF events. That is why they go under the title of Open Men and Open Women and not Pro's. The only money is tomorrow at the World Cup stop.That is why most of the Pro's are there anyway and the criteria is that if you do not ride in the Worlds they will not consider you for the World Cup. How else are they gonna get these guys to travel to the back of beyond for no prize money?
Old     (wakedad33)      Join Date: Oct 2005       11-02-2007, 2:46 PM Reply   
Thanks for clearing that up Chris, I had heard there was like 60K in prize money. So the money rounds start tomorrow? Anyone know what happened to Rusty?
Old     (innov8)      Join Date: May 2005       11-02-2007, 3:12 PM Reply   
So will Soven get to ride in the World Cup?
Old     (xistential)      Join Date: Jul 2007       11-02-2007, 3:23 PM Reply   
I dont think Rusty is there. Yeah I'm pretty sure Philip will compete.It's not like he got dqd on purpose???
Old     (mobv)      Join Date: Jun 2002       11-02-2007, 4:46 PM Reply   
Final results are now posted on http://www.usawaterski.com/ USA got 2nd overall behind Australlia.
Old     (alliecat0223)      Join Date: Oct 2006       11-02-2007, 5:14 PM Reply   
I cant wait to hear from Corrie to hear how fun it was. SHe is such a good rider that has a great all round attidude.
Old     (nickdakoolkat)      Join Date: Sep 2005       11-02-2007, 5:32 PM Reply   
Go shelby! She came in 2nd behind Dallas.
Old     (dooie)      Join Date: Feb 2007       11-02-2007, 7:11 PM Reply   
how come you are not allowd to ride with a knot
Old     (xistential)      Join Date: Jul 2007       11-03-2007, 5:36 AM Reply   
I think it was more than a knot. I heard he was dqd on the dock because his rope wasn't ready
Old     (jarabacoa)      Join Date: Aug 2002       11-03-2007, 5:48 AM Reply   
Chris, why isn't Nicola over there showing them how it's done?
Old     (hoosairboy)      Join Date: Aug 2005       11-03-2007, 6:17 AM Reply   
"Chris, why isn't Nicola over there showing them how it's done?"

Because very few people know about it. It is kind of like their Natioanls. Who goes? Where is it held? They don't even know the answers.
Old     (jarabacoa)      Join Date: Aug 2002       11-03-2007, 6:47 AM Reply   
Roger, I beg to differ. This isn't to be compared with what your negative opinion is on NWL and USA Nationals.
Old     (lftaylor)      Join Date: Mar 2006       11-03-2007, 7:08 AM Reply   
I talked with Chris yesterday and the reason she (Nicola) is not there along with some of the other big names is called about $5000 to make the event. Also they changed some criteria very last minute where before changing the criteria Nicola was not invited to ride in the World Cup. So to spend $5000 to have a World Title in the Girls Division probably wasn't a smart decision.
Old     (lftaylor)      Join Date: Mar 2006       11-03-2007, 7:16 AM Reply   
"Phillip Soven failed to advanced out of the semifinals after being disqualified for missing his starting time." From usawaterski.org
Old     (xistential)      Join Date: Jul 2007       11-03-2007, 7:37 AM Reply   
If you do not have one foot in your bindings,your rope is tangled,or whatever they call it "missing your starting time"
Old    K.B.C.            11-03-2007, 7:44 AM Reply   
that is LAME
Old     (xistential)      Join Date: Jul 2007       11-03-2007, 8:29 AM Reply   
Is it? What if every rider was one or two minutes late. I am fairly neutral on this but this is one area where the IWSF do actually stick to their guns. If you let one person off, then another and so on where does it stop? 127 late riders. Before you know it you are running three or 4 hours behind. Three years ago at the British Nationals they were so far behind, the prize giving took place in the dark.
Old     (hoosairboy)      Join Date: Aug 2005       11-03-2007, 9:02 AM Reply   
USAwaterski chooses the team. Yes I am negative towards them. They have worked very hard to earn it. It is not just me. Ask any pro wakeboarder or those who have ever been involved with them. They are not liking them so much. Why do they go then? There trip is paid for by USAWaterski and they (Pros) can earn a fat check.

I don't like them because they are hurting wakeboarding. They refuse to work with the WWA and the splintering of the sport does not help. They are a bunch of skiers running this and just go to their HQ. They have a lake for skiing only. The Hall of Fame can't even find a wakeboarder. It is so politicized, yes even more than the WWA, and everything they do they seem to screw up. There are exceptions- Dan Levine, Marcus and Mike Ferraro are part of it and hopefully they may one day get it somewhere.

They are more about killing the WWA than anything else. If they really wanted to what is best for wakeboarding they would find way to make thias work for everyone. It is not just the WWA. They would like to knock out the INT also. The NWL is about undermining INT. Same with AKA. They delibertly scheduled their tournaments during INT US Championships so people had to chose. Look how well kneeboarding is doing.

It is about power and control. Sorry for thew highjack. Jabarda is right about IWSF being better. They pay well and have good crowds but two sanctioning bodies, two tours, two nationals and two worlds is not good for the sport. It keeps sponsors away from backing it in any meaningful way.

Look- I know it has done some good for some of the kids and some parents will take issue with this but the fact is that this is hurting the sport. Especially pros. There needs to be ONE sanctioning for nationals, worlds and pros.

Maybe more than 50 people would show up for events if they worked together.
Old     (lf23)      Join Date: Nov 2007       11-03-2007, 9:35 AM Reply   
This is what I've heard so far. ALL the junior riders were VERY unhappy with their scores, this includes Robert, Daniel, Cory, and Rami. As far as Phillip goes, everyone had a representative of IWSF on the dock working ropes except Phillip. As the last Open Men rider, the person working the dock left after the last person before Phillip rode. In World Cup, Phillip 1st, Andrew 2nd, Dean Smith 3rd, and Chad 4th. In Pro Women, Dallas 1st, Rami 2nd, and Shelby 3rd. Imagine, Rami 2nd in Pro Women but 4th in girl's division!!! Daniel and Cory both 1st in prelims but 4th overall. Robert was last off dock in finals and felt he definitely won. Team USA is NOT Happy.
Old     (xistential)      Join Date: Jul 2007       11-03-2007, 10:15 AM Reply   
Raime fell twice in the girls division and that is why she placed badly.
Nicola was told in no uncertain terms if she did not go to Doha she would not be considered for the World Cup in '08 or '09. The Merrits were also told that unless Raime competed in Pro Women in the Worlds she would not be allowed to ride in the World Cup. That is what I mean about the IWSF making it up as they go along. When you ask for explanations you are regarded as a troublemaker.
I also agree with everything Roger says about USA Waterski.We also had a bad experience at one of their events(who hasn't). UK Wakeboarding is also totally at the mercy of UK Waterski but they do not have anyone like the WWA that stands in opposition.
Old    K.B.C.            11-03-2007, 10:47 AM Reply   
yes Chris, I think it is. I could care less if every rider is two minutes late or the reward ceremony takes place after dark. The best competition rider in the world was DQ'd for something that petty. That is as LAME as it gets. Sums up comps in a nutshell actually.
Old     (driving)      Join Date: Jan 2003       11-03-2007, 11:03 AM Reply   
I haven't read all the post, but as a driver who sits in the boat for 8 or 10 hours sometimes, I have to admit, I'm kinda for it. Things need to be tightened up a little. Time at the dock gets abused a little bit, and can make the day drone on. I am all about helping the riders out, but you have to draw the line somewhere. I bet he and everyone else will be ready when the boat pulls up from now on.
Old     (xistential)      Join Date: Jul 2007       11-03-2007, 11:07 AM Reply   
The best competition rider in the world knows the rules.Petty or not, those are the rules.
Old     (nickdakoolkat)      Join Date: Sep 2005       11-03-2007, 11:33 AM Reply   
yeah but he may have been ready and then somehow the rope gets cought up and tangles....it happens at least once for me everytime I go out from sheer coincidence, not anybodys fault. I could see if the rider just wasn't there, and off messing around but if he was ready on the dock and his rope accidentally tangles then that is VERY petty, and stupid IMO.
Old     (dooie)      Join Date: Feb 2007       11-03-2007, 2:46 PM Reply   
what were the results for the masters
Old     (dooie)      Join Date: Feb 2007       11-03-2007, 8:00 PM Reply   
oh it was travis osborne, GO THE AUSSIES!!!!!
Old     (gene3x)      Join Date: Apr 2005 Location: Dallas , TX       11-04-2007, 5:28 PM Reply   
So Scott you are saying because he is one of the best Pro riders (or the best this year) that he should get special treatment? People abuse policies all the time and like Travis said you gotta draw the line somewhere.
Old     (hoosairboy)      Join Date: Aug 2005       11-04-2007, 5:47 PM Reply   
The only reason they ride in that anyway is to ride in the world cup event. He won that so I doubt if he cares one tiny bit.