Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 06, 2007

Old     (dnice)      Join Date: May 2006       07-09-2007, 12:38 PM Reply   
I know the ballast topic has been beaten to death, but has anyone used Simer pumps instead of the Jabsco pumps? And if so what is the solution(if it actually matters) to the Simer pumps not being ignition protected?
Old     (sbt3)      Join Date: Jun 2002       07-09-2007, 1:18 PM Reply   
I have used 6 of them. 5 were in the engine compartment and I haven't had any issues. granted it would suck to have an issue but so far so good. The safe solution would be to not mount them in the engine compartment and you won't have to worry about it.
Old     (dnice)      Join Date: May 2006       07-09-2007, 1:20 PM Reply   
Mind if I ask as to where you purchased yours?
Old     (sbt3)      Join Date: Jun 2002       07-09-2007, 1:53 PM Reply   
It has been a few years, it was at a local store and they don't carry them anymore unfortunately. I only paid like 60 a piece for them though. I think they are more than that now if you can find them.
Old     (dcooper)      Join Date: Mar 2005       07-09-2007, 2:04 PM Reply   
Call Simer for a dealer, that's what I did, or the part numbers, if you have the part numbers Home Depot can order them and have them shipped to their store for you free. The ones at Home Depot are another brand that Simer sells as in the big box stores. I have three, not in the engine compartment, under my backseat.
Old     (rkh)      Join Date: Jul 2007       07-10-2007, 11:10 PM Reply   
Time to show my ignorance on my first post. What does it mean that it's not ignition protected? Is there another fix besides moving outside the engine compartment? Are there any other drawbacks to using the Simer pumps?
Old     (greatdane)      Join Date: Feb 2001       07-10-2007, 11:30 PM Reply   
ignition protection == protection against sparks from the electric motors (sparks/arcs are common in your unprotected electric motors).

A boat manufacturer would NEVER put a non-ingnition protected motor in a boat.

Putting a non-protected motor anywhere in the bilge is dangerous because gas fumes lay low.
Old     (dnice)      Join Date: May 2006       07-11-2007, 8:03 AM Reply   
That would be a bummer to be filling your sacs and have the boat go BOOM!
Old     (dcooper)      Join Date: Mar 2005       07-11-2007, 12:26 PM Reply   
The upside to these pumps is they are reversible... so water comes into the boat and leaves through one hole in the bottom. The downside is you have to watch for them to be full or empty to turn-off the pumps. You can also easily replace the impeller on the water, and they don't let water out/in when they are off.
Old     (dnice)      Join Date: May 2006       07-11-2007, 12:36 PM Reply   
DC...thank you for your responses. Quick question, do you remember what Home Depot charged you for yours?