Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through June 21, 2006

Old     (ogopogo)      Join Date: May 2005       06-02-2006, 3:18 PM Reply   
I was putting home after a party on Weds night, gave her some gas, started to accelerate and the engine dropped back to idle by itself. Noticed the temp gauge was around 220!! opened the cover and it was very hot.

I was allready 1/2 way home so I just idled in to the slip, but by this time the engine was smoking a little bit and the manifolds were too hot to touch.

Checked the impeller the next day, it is fine except that there was hardly any water in the pump. The filter off of the intake line had some crap in it, but not too bad.

Has anyone ever had anything get past the filter and plug the lines somewhere?? the line between the filter and the water pump hardly had any water in it. any tips??

Hope that the engine will be okay once we figure out wtf happened.......
Old     (smackus)      Join Date: Apr 2004       06-02-2006, 3:36 PM Reply   
One word, Thermostat. I is located on the manifold in the front.
Old     (ogopogo)      Join Date: May 2005       06-02-2006, 3:46 PM Reply   
Somebody else mentioned this to me at work. What would the thermostat have to do with the boat over heating and not getting water flow through the impeller? Sorry if that is a dumb question but I am no mechanic.
Thanks for any help, I lost sleep on weds nite over my baby. And for the record I was only about a 1/2 km from home and it was starting to whitecap, didn't want to shut her down in case I couldn't start it and we ended up on the beach.
Old     (dan_lee)      Join Date: Jan 2003       06-02-2006, 4:09 PM Reply   
if your t-stat was bad and was closed no water would go into the engine, therefore it would not circulate. t-stats work in weird ways, sometimes they freeze open and you can't get up to a normal operating temp, sometimes like yours they freeze closed, letting the impellar still work and not get water to the engine. a new t-stat and gaskets is only about $20 so I would start there as well. If you have 2-piece manifolds on your indmar engine you will want to see if they got hot, those gaskets sometimes need to be changed, last thing you will want is water in the cylinders.
Old     (redsupralaunch)      Join Date: Aug 2002       06-02-2006, 7:13 PM Reply   
Most likely problem is the shell and tube heat exchanger on the for the transmition! This is located between the thru hull water pick up and the water pump and has two oil lines from the transmition connected to it. Remove the water inlet hose only and get it out of the way. Take a wire coat hanger and put a very small 30 degree bend at the last 1/2 inch. Start scraping out easily the debris restricting the water flow and let it fall into your hand. Make sure you dont leave any in your bilge so it wont get caught up in your bilge pump. With a small mirror and flash light inspect the inlet side of the heat exchanger. The water must pass thur about 20 little tubes the size of that coat hanger. Which is why it can easily plug with little debris such as little sticks and leaves. Good luck
Old     (cinder1995)      Join Date: Aug 2002       06-06-2006, 8:23 AM Reply   
I'd start with the thermostat too. It's the easiest solution and quickest to fix.
Old     (rmcronin)      Join Date: Aug 2002       06-06-2006, 5:03 PM Reply   
Chris is right. Check the tranny cooler as he described first. It is the first place debris can get clogged and is easy to check. If this is a problem, you may want to install a filter on your intake hose and that will save you a lot of stress and headaches. Your thermostat can get clogged or fail to open, but is the 3rd option in the water's path. 1. tranny cooler 2. impeller 3. thermostat. Good luck and let this be a lesson to all to always keep an eye on your temp. gauge.
Old     (peter_c)      Join Date: Sep 2001       06-06-2006, 5:19 PM Reply   
Nex time when it gets hot shut it down! It is not worth doing thousands of dollars in damage. Don't you carry an anchor and cell phone? White caps won't hurt anything unless they are huge.

T-stat would not stop the manifolds from being cooled, as they would still have water.
Old     (bigworm)      Join Date: Dec 2004       06-07-2006, 7:00 PM Reply   
wouldnt the first place to check be the pickup on the bottom of the boat i know of a couple mc's that overheated on clearlake last year because crap got stuck on the pickup and let only enough water through to keep the impeller lubed and not tear it up this would be the very first thing i would check its easiest check and could be youre problem. im not saying everyone else is wrong those are all good things to check but go easiest to hardest it would suck to check all the other stuff and then it be the easiest one that you check last.... better yet just back flush, that will tell you if its the thermostat or something stuck in the inlet just disconnect the inlet hose into the impeller housing and connect it to a garden hose turn the hose on and see if anything comes out of the pickup or see how fast the water is coming out of the pickup also check the trans fluid if you have a bad cooler the trans fluid could have water in it.

just my 2cents hopefully you find the problem. good luck.