Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through June 21, 2006

Old     (showtime)      Join Date: Nov 2005       06-06-2006, 7:17 AM Reply   
I currently have a 94 MC Prostar 205 w/ tower, racks, lights and just installed a pretty nice stereo system. The boat is immacualte inside and out -- 460 hrs --250 of them i have put on since last sept. -- Question is, I have the opportunity to "upgrade" if you will, to a 99 Centurion Hurricane Elite V for a difference of 3,000.00 has auto ballast, only in rear, manual wakeplate, newer style tower w/ racks, bimini and tandem trailer. boat has 325 hrs -- and a new eng installed 57 hrs ago... my thing is, it is 5 yrs newer, v-drive and has auto ballast. What do you guys think. I literally love my boat, but want a v-drive for the room and to be able to hide the weight better...
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       06-06-2006, 7:30 AM Reply   
Sounds like a pretty good deal. Have you checked NADA to see if the pricing is right? Having a new engine also seems like a plus, but do you know why it has a new engine, ie has the boat been well taken care of?
Old     (showtime)      Join Date: Nov 2005       06-06-2006, 7:34 AM Reply   
boat has been taken care of -- not as clean as my 94 but mine was sort of the exception. the boat has been local since new. eng was repl due to a plug left in at time of winterizarion.
Old     (uga33)      Join Date: Jul 2003       06-06-2006, 7:37 AM Reply   
That is really low hours to have installed a new engine. Do you know the reason? Do you drive the Elite V to compare the wake and ride to your 94 205?
Old     (showtime)      Join Date: Nov 2005       06-06-2006, 7:39 AM Reply   
I have been behind quite a few Centurions, but not this particular boat. I have plans t tkae it out this weekend....
Old     (rich_g)      Join Date: May 2003       06-06-2006, 9:55 AM Reply   
I have a 98 Elite V with wakeplate, with 2 350's in the back, and a big Pro-X in the bow. The 98 does not have a floor locker, so the bag is in the walkway, but it is plumbed in to a system. The front bag is restricted by the narrow floor and fills to about 600 (estimate).

This and a couple of passengers is the optimum setup IMO. I could easily put 450's in the back but the wake would get a little washy. If I have a big crew, w/ 3 up front, I don't fill the front bag. We get a really nice pro-size wake, good up to 80', but you will reach a point of diminishing returns at a certain weight. It is also a little sensitive with side to side weighting; if you want the wake perfectly symetrical, you may have to ask one person to move over.

I did the same thing you are doing -traded up from a DD and got a used V-drive. It was the right move for me, but you will miss certain things about your DD.

Old     (hamkj)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-06-2006, 10:17 AM Reply   
I think that MC205 provides a nicer wake then the Elite V. But that is just my opinion. Newer is not always better....
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       06-06-2006, 10:20 AM Reply   
If your 205 was a 96 or newer, I would say keep it. They have one of the best wakes around.
Old     (showtime)      Join Date: Nov 2005       06-06-2006, 10:20 AM Reply   
thanks rich -- i shot you a mail -- nice profile pic..
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       06-06-2006, 10:29 AM Reply   
Personally I'd stick with the 205. I like those boats and you already have it. There isn't any reason to pay registration again and go through the trouble of selling yours. Then again a V-drive is nice and so is auto ballast.

I know I may get beat up for saying it and understand that just owning a boat is a great privilige, but I think the MC is a better quality boat that will stand the test of time better. Not that Centurions are bad, but the MC's seem to take the beatings of high hours with less wear and tear (interior materials, gel coat, etc...)
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       06-06-2006, 11:51 AM Reply   
Upload

This should be interesting.
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       06-06-2006, 2:38 PM Reply   
Wake quality is not near the same with the Centurion. I've ridden that boat many times and it sucks by comparison. Heck I spent three hours at the dock helping fix my buddies this weekend, weee!!
Old     (nar722)      Join Date: Dec 2003       06-06-2006, 2:52 PM Reply   

If a v drive is really important to you then as long as the other boat is in good shape then you should seriously consider it. couple of points though...1)regarding the auto ballast, I always have problems with that dang Jabsco pump. You need to keep that impellar lubed or it will stick in one direction. 2) The center ballast is a good step but not enough to get the wake to any good size. You still need bags. 3) But in a v drive you can hide those bags in the engine compartment, fill the center ballast and hide another 250 lbs or so up front. Still tons of room in the boat. 4) a hydraulic wakeplate is a really good upgrade. The static plate sucks - stuck in 1 position. 5) ride behind the wake...you may not like it as it is pretty vert. good luck with your decision
Old     (breadbutta)      Join Date: Dec 2003       06-06-2006, 2:58 PM Reply   
You'll have much more cabin room with the V-Drive over the D-Drive. Nickster is correct about the Jabsco, they stick if left in the drain position on your last run, simple fix is to hit 'fill' for a second or two after draining the bags to allow the impellers to flip around. I have a 2000 Elite-V and love it. I say test-drive if possible and take into account how good the MC205 has been to you. Also, are there any extra's? Are the trailers both dual axles? Take everything into account.
Old    r3612            06-06-2006, 9:22 PM Reply   
I have been a long time Centurion owner and have owned at one time that particualr boat. It was an 02 butg still same hull.

Have ridden behind a sacked out prostar 205 so here are my thoughts.

The v-drive setup is very nice Tons of storage and room and also makes the boat more socialable. As previous have stated....with only one ballast tank YOU WILL NEED SACS IN THE V_DRIVE COMPARTMENT to get an intermediate wake oiut of this boat. The biggest neg factor I can see of the v-drive is the manula wakeplate. Hydraulic is the way to go. The wake can get dialed in but the plate will most likely be in the all the way up position for otimal wake producing. This sucks for cruising at hoigh speeds as the boat will porpise(sp) for sure at the above 30mph mark. TRUST ME I KNOW FROM EXPERIENCE, but to me that is trade off for wake.

Now to the wake size/shape. This wake is going to be much steeper and more verty than your mc. Will give you much more of an up pop than an out pop (like a bucky type pop) Personally i like steep wakes as when I feel that kick I know to start my trick. Others prefer a more smooth transition. All personal prference. As one stated earlier. You reach a ballast limit on this boat fairly quickly with which the wake just turns to froth. That happens with about 400-500 in each of the v-drive compartments, the center tank filled and 250-350 in the nose. With that setup the wke is faily nice. Not saying it's small and I'm probably gonna take heat for this comment, but I still do own a Centurion and love the wake on my 04 CYCLONE. The wake on this boat will not reach a pro level. Not sure what tricks you are doing or aspiring to do, but this wake will accomadate most. I would say it def a great intermediate/advance wake. It worked great for me. For those looking for wake 2 wake jumps, backrolls, 3's, scarecrows, and things of that sort it's great, but starting whirly's and 5's and whatnot it may be a little tough. Just doesn't give you the amplitude. As how it to compares to the 205. Totally different shape'style so can't begin to compare, but if you need an answer it would be just tad bigger due to the fact v-drive and weight balance. But if you had an MC 205V that would have the opportunity to get bigger than the Centurions because it can handle an abundance of weight, and would again beshaped much different as well.The slalom wake is also great behind this (centurion)v-drive as well if that's a factor for you

As to construction. Centurions are rock solid. This boat handles rough water and d-ups very very very well. Can't complain there.

All in all I think you should really take a ride behind the Centurion and check out the wake because it is so different. Both boats are killer boats and would recommend both but the V-drive seating and storage is huge bonus.

(Message edited by r3612 on June 06, 2006)