Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old    brycejay            01-02-2010, 5:29 PM Reply   
Hey guys I am currently boatless. I've been boarding for 6-7 years. The last two boats that I have ridden behind behind on a regular basis were a 1990 Sport Nautique and a 99 SAN. With 1200 lbs. the Sport threw a pretty nice wake. The SAN wake was obviously great. I can get a good deal on a 1980 Ski Nautique. My only concern is what kind of wake it can produce? I plan on putting around 1200-1500 lbs in it. I know it probably wont be anywhere close to the SAN or even the sport, but can I still get a good enough wake to have a good time?
Old     (wakeboardin2k4)      Join Date: Sep 2006       01-02-2010, 5:36 PM Reply   
Its a pretty sweet wake. I have an 86 ski nautique and I put out a nice wake that is over knee high. Its a steep wake if you dont put weight up front but they are awesome boat. Check out the2001.com
Old     (dru1974)      Join Date: Nov 2009       01-02-2010, 5:36 PM Reply   
Bryce you may actually get a better wake, those old hulls are fun but have a huge lip.....you'll catch great air
Old    brycejay            01-02-2010, 5:45 PM Reply   
I've heard a lot of good things about the 2001 hull, but I think they started in 82. Is the hull on the 1980 much different?
Old     (srh00z)      Join Date: Jun 2003       01-02-2010, 6:31 PM Reply   
The 1980 has a narrower beam if memory serves. I have been behind a 76 which was the same hull. I have also ridden behind Sports and 2001's. The 76 wake has a little more of a straight up boot than the 2001 if you can believe that. It doesn't get quite as big as a 2001 with weight and it is a little narrower due to the beam. It is a really nice wake though. It is firm and gets better with weight, but knee high may not be quite possible like with a 2001. If the price is right and the boat is in good condition, go for it. If not, look for a 2001, a little more interior room and a better wake overall.
Old    brycejay            01-02-2010, 6:46 PM Reply   
Just what I was looking for. Thanks guys
Old     (reachjims)      Join Date: Aug 2007       01-02-2010, 7:53 PM Reply   
my buddy has a 79 with a tower, they mostly wakeskate so don't weight it, but every once in awhile we will toss my side sacs in (500 lbs) plus 4 to 5 full size guys and that wake is a blast. it is such a good wake to wake boat with tons of straight up pop. i have ridden behind sante's and the wake is very similar just not as big.
Old     (tripsw)      Join Date: May 2006       01-03-2010, 5:36 AM Reply   
If the price is right and the boat is in good condition, go for it. If not, look for a 2001, a little more interior room and a better wake overall.

+1.
If you can find a really good deal on a 2001, you might want to consider that.
2001 did indeed start in '82, until '89.
Old     (tripsw)      Join Date: May 2006       01-03-2010, 5:39 AM Reply   
If the price is right and the boat is in good condition, go for it. If not, look for a 2001, a little more interior room and a better wake overall.

+1.
If you can find a really good deal on a 2001, you might want to consider that.
2001 did indeed start in '82, until '89.
Old     (882001)      Join Date: Nov 2003       01-03-2010, 6:33 AM Reply   
steeeeeepppppp wake. like a curb.
Old     (otown_dave)      Join Date: Dec 2007       01-03-2010, 8:11 AM Reply   
+1 on the curb feeling, & no meat to it at all. If I take a hard cut into the wake I'll just blast through. But then again it has served us well the last 3 years.
Old     (wakebrdr38)      Join Date: Sep 2006       01-03-2010, 9:44 AM Reply   
I would hold out for a 2001.
Also no one has asked what the "right" price is?
That could help to see if there are any 2001's within reach
Old    brycejay            01-03-2010, 1:24 PM Reply   
I think I'm gonna hold out for a 2001. They seem to get some pretty rave reviews as far as the wake goes. That's really all I'm looking for is something with a decent wake. It's just me and my wife so I don't have a bunch of kiddos yet and I usually don't ride with more than 4 or 5 people.
Old    septicwaters            01-03-2010, 1:42 PM Reply   
I had an 81 its better than no boat at all.
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       01-03-2010, 7:06 PM Reply   
steep and narrow. The 1980 Ski Nautique hull was primarily designed for trick skiing. The wake is narrow so the trick skier can transition between the wakes quickly. In 1982, the first year of the 2001 hull they answered the call of the slalom skiers and produced a wake that was more friendly to slalom skiers, by chance this set the standard for wakeboard boats at the beginning of the sport. I was competing in 3 event skiing and we were on the Nautique promo boat team during this period. I spent many hours behind those pre 2001 and 2001 Nautiques.

I have wakeboarded behind various random boats and enjoyed myself nearly as much as when I was behind a new world class wakeboard specific boat. Be aware that 1980 hull has wood stringers and wood floorboards, good chance both need to be replaced. I would hold out for a fiberglass stringer/floor boat for maintenance reasons alone.

(Message edited by mikeski on January 03, 2010)
Old    brycejay            01-03-2010, 11:29 PM Reply   
I can get an 89 2001 in prestine condition for around $8k. Would this be a good deal? No tower, but the boat is clean as a whistle. I can add a tower.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       01-04-2010, 8:25 AM Reply   
They can fetch 8 if clean and ready to hit the water. Tower, sound system, etc. Sounds like its on the high side by a few grand, but they have some room in there to negotiate.
Old     (wakeboardin2k4)      Join Date: Sep 2006       01-04-2010, 9:49 AM Reply   
I am with nacho that their is room for negotiaton and that you should offer a lower price. I think that a pictures of how prestine this boat is will help all of us get you a more accurate estimate.

My biggest suggestion is to try and make this "buyers market" work for you! Start low with your offer and depending on how badly you want it go up with the price
Old     (rocketman)      Join Date: Feb 2003       01-04-2010, 12:16 PM Reply   
Your best bet is to try to find a 1989 SN2001 as that is the year they switched to the AME5000 resin, which is the same resin they are still using at least as up to a few years ago. I lost track if they still use it today.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       01-04-2010, 1:49 PM Reply   
David, I'm sure the newer resin is stronger or better in some regards, but would you really limit your search to one production year of boats?

There's one that just popped up in my area, not sure of price but looked to be in good shape.
Old     (rocketman)      Join Date: Feb 2003       01-04-2010, 5:44 PM Reply   
I read there were problems with the resin system prior to it. Don't remember the details or the source unfortunately. Probably the best place to get any answers on it is the2001.com as was mentioned above. Those fellers could answer all your questions.
Old     (882001)      Join Date: Nov 2003       01-04-2010, 5:50 PM Reply   
89 still has wood stringers!! my 88 was rock solid. the 89 has single exhaust. boooo
Old     (wakeboardin2k4)      Join Date: Sep 2006       01-04-2010, 6:08 PM Reply   
CC didn't have the best gelcoat resin system. 86 was actually the worst year if my research is correct (which of course is the year I have) All correct crafts had wood stringers up until 1993. The single exhaust came in 87 I thought? I am unsure about that tho.

As for the value...tower, system, ballast and all don't necessarily create value in the boat. It is more of a financial convenience if you are looking get into it for wakebording. But in terms of overall capable value a boat that is 100% original and in prestine condition will be able to bring a higher value than a tricked out boat. So remember that the boat being at 8k is possibly a correct asking price. Although I'd still try and knock them down a G
Old     (wakebrdr38)      Join Date: Sep 2006       01-04-2010, 7:54 PM Reply   
sn2001's are kind of interesting when it comes to values actually. If you really watch them, values are typically higher on boats that are pristine and without a tower and all the extras. However, if the boat has a Flight Control Tower or one of the New Dimension FCT towers then sometimes that can add to it.

From my years of watching them though, they typically lose value with all the extras.

89 was the first year to go to single exhaust, also had the 1.23 to 1 transmission. I think it was an option on 88s. If I remember it was a big upgrade. All 2001's have wood stringers. I have an 86 and my floors are rock solid. I have never heard of any issues with the gel coat in 86.

I would say $8,000 for an 89 depending on condition and hours could be a great price. Depends on the previous owners and how it was taken care of. I have seen 86's with 1200 hours in immaculate condition go for 8k.

There is nothing like turning heads at the boat ramp when you pull in and there are a bunch of new wakeboats around and having people come over and talk to you about your classic sn2001!
Old    brycejay            01-04-2010, 9:21 PM Reply   
Well, I told the guy I wanted the boat but I think he's going to sell it to someone else. Maybe I'll go for the 1980 after all...
Old     (bremsen)      Join Date: Aug 2005       01-05-2010, 7:07 AM Reply   
I agree with Kevin and he has the features/yr correct. Although, from what I understand the 87s had a different gelcoat and could have spider crack issues, but CC went back to the original gel again in 88. I've never heard of any other sn2001 having gel or glass issues....in fact, quite the opposite. The hulls and deck are laid up very thick and my gel looks better than many boats that are much newer.

Bryce, I would still hold out for the 82-89. There are tons around and good ones can be had for nearly the same price as that 80. Just be aware that the older the boat the more likely it will need floor/structural work. Even if you find one in excellent condition, IMHO, with any pre-93 CC, its not a matter of 'if' you have to replace the stringers/floor, its a matter of 'when'. CC built a tank of a boat, but the technology and materials of the time just aren't what they are today. Water gets past the bulkheads and vent hoses and soaks up into the foam which rots the stringers and floor. I'm coming up on 5yrs with my 88 (that was in good cond when I bought it) and am currently planning floor/stringer job for next winter.

Planet nautique has a good write up on what to look for in an old CC. Beyond checking lag bolts and floor I would also look for any cracking in the glass along the main and secondary stringers. That is a sign they are swelling from water absorption.
Old     (srh00z)      Join Date: Jun 2003       01-05-2010, 7:22 AM Reply   
I have a good friend whose parents owned a CC dealership in the 80s. His dad has told me numerous times that CC essentially overbuilt the 2001's and boats of that era. He said that it was the glory years for the company and the built them with thick layups and gel just like Ryan said. He also said that they used Douglas Fir for a good bit of the wood and that is why some of these boats are just now needing stringer and floor repair. I will own one in my lifetime, I just need to find the right one and set aside some time for a big project. You can't beat the classic lines and great wake of a 2001
Old     (jon4pres)      Join Date: May 2004       01-05-2010, 7:41 AM Reply   
On any cc older than 89 I would plan on the stringers being mush unless the previous owner can prove to you they have been replaced recently.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       01-05-2010, 8:44 AM Reply   
This is an '80, so somewhat irrelevant. Although, its in good (closer to excellent) condition and is all original.

80 Ski Nautique - $7000. Has Fort Worth, TX phone number, boat is in Tyler, TX.
Upload
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       01-05-2010, 8:45 AM Reply   
Interior looks to be fresh, but no tower, etc.
Old     (bremsen)      Join Date: Aug 2005       01-05-2010, 9:26 AM Reply   
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/forsale/?yrstart=1982&yrend=1989&model=&state=&pricestart= 0&priceend=100%2C000&sortBy=Date+Updated&Submit=Se arch

One is even rebuilt for $9500.
Old     (rocketman)      Join Date: Feb 2003       01-05-2010, 11:52 AM Reply   
This one looks wild-

http://www.correctcraftfan.com/forsale/details.asp?ID=4881&sort=&pagenum=2
Old     (wakebrdr38)      Join Date: Sep 2006       01-05-2010, 1:48 PM Reply   
I am going to go out on a limb here and disagree with a few of the people on here. It definately isnt unheard of to find a mid 80's sn2001 that has perfect floors. Sure there are a lot out there that need floors replaced, but there are a lot with floors that are still rock solid all the way through the stringers. It just might take some patience and hard looking to find one. Mine popped up in the local newspaper, and honestly I got lucky. I bought the boat because I liked the lines of the boat, I had done no research until the night I brought it home and realised it throws an incredible wake.(this was 4.5 years ago before they got really really popular). I realise now that I got a hell of a boat for the money.

Patience is key with any big purchase, you will find the right one!